Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stretchmarks

Default Stretchmarks

Did anyone get severe stretchmarks on their tummy during pregnancy? How long did it take for them to fade away? how well did they fade? did they fade away at all?

I have them all over my tummy and it's so embarrassing! Is there anything i can use to help them fade quicker or at least not look as bad? I've tried that cocoa butter stuff even before getting any stretchmarks and it did nothing for me and still does nothing!

Tegan, there is a product by the name of LM Naturals Stretch Mark Oils, it states that it works on stretch marks, here a little bit of info for you:

Naturally gentle for Pregnant Women and Breastfeeding Mothers

LM Naturals Stretch Mark Oil is a blend of natural essential and cold pressed oils. It has been produced in two special formulas to reduce the appearance of stretch marks and help prevent their further development:

# LM Naturals Stretch Mark Oil for Pregnant Women (from 6th month to birth)

# LM Naturals Stretch Mark Oil for Mothers (for use after baby is born, while breastfeeding, and by mothers of older children)

Take Care

Deeanne

Thanks Deeanne!

Is it just an over the counter thing? Would i find it at a chemist or supermarket?

Hey Tegan
    I've read somewhere that whether you get stretchmarks is genetically predetermined, and creams probably wont work - but you will have lovely smooth skin if you pay with them!
    Its the same as cellulite - either you get them, or ya dont! I myself get them, but I'm also blessed with cellulite so I have all the luck.
    If you find anything that does work though - let us all know!

Fi

Hmm Genetic hey? I don't see how, as no one in my family has them, cept me. Maybe i'm unlucky and am at the start of the line, so to speak!

I used cocoa butter since i was 12 weeks (around the time i found out i was pregnant) still using it now, but it's done nothing at all, not even made my skin soft or anything!

Can't be any problem with changing brand and trying what Deeanne suggests - might work. Someone in 2nd tri said that at the very least you should have a nice smooth belly for bubs to lie on with all those creams.
    I popped a few stretchies at about 8-12 weeks, but no new ones for a while. I've always been prone to them - they are all over my hips, thighs, tummy and under my boobs.
    They do fade with time, and dont look too bad after a while.
    Genetics are funny things Tegan - my whole immediate family is skinny!! I get my chunkiness from my paternal grandmothers side - and even she was a small lady!! It wasn't till I met my Dad's cousins at grans funeral 2 years ago I recognised my body shape in about 4 of the 6 female cousins!!
    You've probably got good young skin - you'll find you'll bounce back no problems I reckon, and they'll start to fade soon. Are you going to start playing netball again? How long will you wait?
    Fi

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Since the main site is down I thought I would post the article in here about stretchmarks for you, which was provided by Blackmores:

Stretch Marks

Stretch marks on the skin are more common in women than men, and vary in size and shape. They are caused by rapid weight gain, with pregnancy and puberty being the most common times for them to occur.
    When the body goes through a spurt of growing faster on the inside than the skin on the outside can keep up with, the fibrous and elastic layers deep in the skin stretch and tear. The stretch marks which form in the area are actually scar tissue which forms to heal the tears.
    Stretch marks tend to be worse in areas affected by gravity, such as the breasts and buttocks.

You may notice your stretch marks as wavy marks on the abdomen, breasts, buttocks and thighs. They appear purplish-red in colour to start, gradually fading to white and becoming less noticeable over a period of 6-12 months.

Deficiency of zinc has also been associated with the development of stretch marks.

If you develop stretch marks easily, you may be deficient in the mineral zinc which is essential for skin repair; HINT: for best results choose a supplement with added magnesium and vitamin B6 for optimum absorption

Vitamin C is important as it helps maintain the skin's elasticity via its role in collagen production.

Prevention

Maintaining moisture and flexibility in the affected areas will reduce the likelihood of stretch marks appearing. Try massaging the affected area on a daily basis to keep the skin supple and reduce the likelihood of stretch marks developing - especially if you are pregnant.

Avoid putting on weight quickly by maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle. Eat lots of fresh fruit and vegetables, grains, nuts and seeds and avoid fatty foods. Drinking around two litres of water per day is also an important part of keeping within your healthy weight range. If you are pregnant consider taking a special multi-vitamin and mineral formula containing zinc to ensure you are getting adequate nutrition for you and your baby.

Regular exercise is also essential. Don't forget to consult your healthcare professional before commencing a new exercise program - particularly if you are pregnant.

Since stretch marks tend to be worse in areas affected by gravity, be sure to wear a well-fitted and comfortable bra to reduce the action of gravity on your breasts during pregnancy and breast-feeding.
    Once a stretch mark has developed, it is permanent - no amount of massage will make it disappear.

Important Information

Consult your healthcare professional if you suddenly develop large numbers of stretch marks - this may be a sign of certain hormonal diseases.

If you are taking steroidal medication and develop stretch marks, these may be side effects of your medicine - consult your healthcare professional for more information.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

My Doc told me that it was all down to the elasticity (sp?) of your skin, he also said that the younger you are the less likely you will get them. I also think that genetics play a huge part, I had a few, which were quite noticable, but they seem to have faded, or that I'm so use to them I don't notice!

Tegan

I`ll send you an email with details on this new oil.

I haven`t used it myself have just come across it and if it works well it`ll be a miracle oil.

I`m currently using Cocoa Butter have done since 4 wks but I have been a bit worried lately that I`m going to get some stretch marks as my skin just seems too tight to stretch any further without causing damage.

I`d be interested if this oil does work, it states that you may see visible results in as little as 2 wks.

Take Care

Deeanne

OMG I`m shocked at the price - $150 for 300mls, it would want to work at that price.

Yes that certainly is very expensive!! Think i will pass on that. A bit out of my price range!

LeonaAlex Guest

I have put on a combined weight of 79kg's (over 3 pregnancies), and have 2 stretchmarks on each hip. Absolutely none on my stomach! I also have olive skin, which is prone to scarring.

Here is what I used. I mixed this myself.
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil (the greener it looks, the better!)
    Collagen oil (difficult to obtain and quite expensive, but you use a little, so it really goes a long way)
    Bio-Oil (Vit E with PurCellin)

Mix two parts Olive oil with one part VitE oil, then add 10 ml of Collagen oil.
    Use twice a day, and especially before you sleep. You need to use your old sheets, or they may stain.

It worked for me, even though my husband said that I smelt like a greek salad all the time! LOL

Melody Guest

LeonaAlex: "It worked for me, even though my husband said that I smelt like a greek salad all the time! LOL"

That is priceless! what a recipe! How did you come up with that?

I must admit I am pretty nervous now... my mum is covered in stretch marks & both sisters got a decent dose.

As yet I only have a few on my boobs but they are from getting really overweight as a teenager. I'm quite slim now & have only put on 3 kilos in my 14 weeks but I am regimented after every shower to apply cream all over the problem areas.

I feel a bit doomed now #-o but I guess in the long run..... does it really matter? Wont the joy of my little one overcome any vain pangs I tend to now & again?

Melody I just thought I'd let you know I did the same as you throughout PG with applying stuff to my belly during PG and all my stretch marks I did get are gone now. I only got mine during labour and had a few on my bb's but they are still there, the ones on my belly are all gone now and its 8months.

LeonaAlex Guest

Melody. Thanks for the reply.

I have always been very consious of my body, and though the joy of having a baby does compensate for everything, my view is - Why not avoid it if you can?

Got recipe from Dermatologist years before I fell pregnant (had scars from chicken-pox), and it worked for my face, so I used it when I fell pregnant with my first baby, and it worked for that too.

I haven't put anything on my belly & didn't get any (so far!). I do have a few on my hips & bum :-s My Dr actually mentioned on Tuesday that my skin was looking great, I replied "yeah so far" ad he seems to think that I'll be right \/

Weegie Guest

Just thought I'd add - I had Clarins "Tonic" highly recommended to me by friends. It is made from all natural oils. You can buy it from anywhere they sell Clarins products, I got mine from Myer. It was $66 so very expensive but apparently very worthwhile and it lasts about 3 months depending on how much/where you use it. It's meant to be good to tone your skin during pregnancy and weight loss as well as helping to avoid weightloss.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast