Thread: sugar test

cathy Guest

Default sugar test

Has anyone had the sugar test yet where you have to drink some sweet drink then take a blood test??? It is to check for gestational diabetes. I am 24 weeks now and i am going to have it at 28 weeks i am curious as to how sweet this drink really is the midwife said its REALLY sweet how the hell am i meant to scoff this really sweet drink down quickly grose!!!!!!
    Just wanna hear any experiences ( all good ones please! )

Cathy I am one of the weird ones that actually loves the drink. It tastes like really sweet lemonade.

when I first had it I had heard how gross it was etc and was hesitant to drink it but when I finished it I asked if I could have more LOL

and yes it is to test for gestational diabetes.

Love :smt049

Hi Cathy,

I had to do this test........the first one wasn't so bad. My initial result was borderline, so I had to do a second test, which was worse. But it's not the drink that is so bad, it is the fasting prior and the boring wait afterwards, so take a good book or something to do!

Good luck!

Mel27 Guest

Cathy,

I thought the drink tasted liked fanta and really liked it, with my first pregnancy. I agree with astro and am probably another weird one. I haven't had the sugar test yet for this pregnancy, but am looking forward to drinking it as I really liked it.

I did find it a bit sweeter then Fanta but nothing that would make you sick. I hope that you find it okay, as I was dreading it. I think if you think the worst then its actually better then what you think it will be like.

Anyway hope that helps and don't worry I am sure you will be fine. Good luck.

I though that it was like flat strong lemonade but not too bad. I think that it helped that it was chilled.
    I failed the first one and had to go for the long test, which I passed. The midwife said it might have been because I ate some sugary food just before my test so my advice is don't eat much sugar before the test so that you don't have to go through the hassle of the long test.

Mel C Guest

Default Sugar Test

This is my second pregnancy. I am another one that really likes the taste of the drink. I think that it tastes a bit like straight cordial (not diluted), which I also like!!! I am having my test for this pregnancy in a couple of days.

Just take a good book to read for the wait afterwards.

I had to do this test as well, and I also didnt mind the taste of the drink, though it was sweeter than anything I would normally have...

Goodluck Cathy, but I'm sure you will do just fine... O

I did the test a week ago. I can't say I liked the taste but it was nowhere near as bad as I thought. I just tasted like strong flat lemonade with just a touch of salt in it too. It wasn't bad at all. The wait passed well as I had DH with me to talk to and my midwife was great. My result was JUST under the limit, but I had eaten a whole heap of choc beforehand because I forgot I was to have the test. So try not to eat sugary stuff for a few hrs before the test and goodluck!

I had the test today, it tasted just like lemonade to me but I did struggle to drink it, I wasnt really keen for such a sweet drink at 9am!

It did make me just a little light-headed, but that was all.

I expected bubs to kick a lot, but he was very quiet and has been since. Any need to be concerned?

Jess