Thread: Suggestions please?

Default Suggestions please?

I have had a cold now for 9 days. It first started as a throat and ear infection. Got some antibiotics for that and they are both cleared up. But this damn cold, i just can't shake it! Mainly just my nose and sinus and a headache and temp every now and then. but i wake up not being able to breath properly coz my nose is sooo stuffed! I feel like utter cr*p in the mornings, but i'm semi-fine by late afternoon. Doctor told me coz i'm pregnant, my immune system doesn't work as well so will take a while to get rid of it. But i don't still want to have this at my wedding, which is in less than 3 weeks! Is there anything at all i can do to help make it go away? I know i can't take any drug type things, but is there anything at all or do i just have to put up with it? Heat and steam in the shower doesn't even work...

Hi Tegan! Sorry but I can't reallly help with any miracle cures but I had a really bad cold earlier in my pregnancy for about 3 weeks and then it just disappeared... All I could do for it was bed rest, honey/lemon hot drinks for my throat and rub some Vicks on tissues for my nose (so I could breath at night - although I still have to do that occasionally).

Good luck! I hope the cold is gone before your wedding!!

Tegan I had bronchitis for 6 weeks earlier in this pregnancy & then two weeks after that finally cleared up I got a sinus infection. Basically my GP took me off all antibiotics and said we had to focus on building up my immune system. I got started on Inner Health Plus capsules daily as well as 2000mcg of vitamen C daily as well as garlic capsule & a ginger root tea drink nightly to help boost everything. I started on a diet of fresh food as well to help. In 2 weeks I started feeling normal again. I still have a weak immune system atm, but its so much better than I was. Also, Kelly has suggested using In-Liven (I think there are a few threads about it) which is supposed to boost your immune system which would help as well. Goodluck! It sucks to feel so sick & crap when you are pregnant & have a toddler to look after.

Like Christy I would suggest garlic tablets ( I just had a similar cold for 3 weeks and took garlic horseradish tabs). I would also take vitamin C. Maybe have a fresh juice each day (vegie and fruit...you can make it or buy one). Lots of water and rest. Good luck and hope you get well soon ox

Just to help with the sleep & blocked nose I was told its ok to use the nasal sprays. I use the one you can buy at the supermarket & was told as long as I don't use it willy nilly and for no longer then 3 days in a row its ok. I would use it after I had a shower, just before bed. just to help me sleep. But I think the fact I could blow my nose & actually get all the crap out made a difference. I also had a cold about 2 weeks ago that took a hold and lasted about 3 weeks.
    Sure hope you are feeling better soon & are looking bright & glowing for your wedding day.

Hi Tegan

It can be a pain, waiting for the after effects of an ENT episode to clear up. You can try using FESS or a similar nasal spray to help break down the congestion. It is a buffered saline so harmless during pg.

Apart from that, there isn't much you can do except eat well, get lots of rest, drink lots of fluids ... you know the drill. =) Hope it is gone in time for your wedding.

Mel

I would have said up the vitamins too, zinc included as it helps your immune system.

Goodluck, I hope you feel fabulous by the time of your wedding. Its one day everyone deserves to enjoy

i just got over the flu i had it at my engagement party i was a mess. I know this has probably been said but like my partner says you need SLEEP,SLEEP AND MORE SLEEP!!!! sorry i wish it could be a fast miracle. take care of yourself.

julesy Guest

WHenever I've had a blocked nose in pregnancy, I've used a Normal Saline FESS spray, which you can get from a pharmacy. It sounds ridiculous, but it does work. Also, try asking the pharmacist if there is a nasal decongestant you can use in pregnancy. I used Prolaramine at my pharmacists suggestion for night time (it does make you drowsy), and it worked. I only needed to use it for 2 or 3 days.

Good luck with the wedding!!

julesy

Tegan how are you feeling?

I think it is finally starting to go away now. I woke up this morning actually being able to breathe! I'm not 100%, but getting there.