Thread: swabs

Default swabs

OK, well it has been 6 years since my last full term pregnancy and today at my Ob appt as I was leaving and already in reception (so couldn't ask any questions as there was way too many people waiting) he informs me that at my next visit I have to have a Vaginal and a Rectum swab! What The...

Now I know for a fact I didn't have these done with my last DS because I would remember something like that. My question is, what are they for?

I have heard of vaginal swab at 35 weeks for Step B, but have no idea what the go could be with a rectal swab.

Hi Sharon
    They are to test for Strep B.
    Most places no longer do this test routinely as the strep B bug comes and goes. You could test clear today and then be infected with it tomorrow. However if your baby gets infected it is quite easy to treat but if left untreated baby can become very ill. The first and main sign that baby is infected is a high temp within the first 24-48 hours after birth.

I was tested at 34 weeks but they only took a vaginal swab. My OB said some older OB's do a vaginal and rectal swab and others only do a vaginal. A friend was tested with her last three boys but not with her first so Im not sure why some OB's do and others don't.

I also had to do a vaginal swab around 35 weeks for strep B. I did the swab myself. Then they somehow "lost" my results, then they magically reappeared. Did not have to do a rectum swab though.

OMG! I've never had either......never heard of it either until now!

Yeah i had one at 36wks and did it myself - just dropped it into path within 24hrs and all was good.

If you test positive for strep you'll be on a drip during your labour (least thats how it worked at my hossy).

So far as i know they shouldn't have to do both, just one or the other should be fine.

I did the vaginal swab for strep B myself (easier than putting in a tampon so no big deal when you do it yourself).

I could have declined it but decided having it made it easy if I was negative. if positive I still had the choice what to do about it at the birth centre and didn't ahve to be on antibiotics if I didn't want.

I would ask for more information about why your OB wants the test and how they feel the results would affect your birth before you decide whether or not you want it.

Thanks everyone, I had heard of the vaginal swab for strepB so was kind of sure that was what that one was for, just didn't realise a rectal swab would be needed, also, very glad to hear that most of you did the swabs yourself.

Alan Thanks for the info. My Ob has never done a strepB swab on me with any of my previous pregnancies so this must be a new thing for him.

From what I have heard the swabbing for Strep B comes in and out of 'fashion' so to speak. It all depends on what studies they have heard and the latest 'best practice'. I had to do this too, I did it myself. Wasn't too bad, but it was a bit hard seeing what you were doing as belly was in the way and I didn't want to poke it in too far and take babies eye out. Quite funny really. all this was done in the confines of the toilet.

Vaginal swab, yeah fine. I just don't understand the need for a rectal swab ?????

Sarah_H same here, I can understand the vaginal swab, I will definitely be asking why he wants the rectal one as well.

When I had one it was so quick and it was both - but he literally just brushed it from front to back in about 2 seconds and that was it, it didnt really go far internally if that makes sense! I don't think it is 2 seperate tests... ah the joys.

Im not 100% sure and please correct me if Im wrong but I read recently that 13% of women in Australia have Strep B in their vagina and between 10% - 35% of all Australian adults have it in their lower intestine. I think it can transfer from rectal area to the vagina. This might account for a rectal swab.

I was told by my hospital that 30% of pregnant women test positive and is therefore carried by even more that don't know because they don't need to! As far as the transfer from rectal to vaginal are a- that does make sense.

Tanstar and Macca79 Thank you both for that info, it eases my mind much more