Thread: Sweet/Sugary Diet = Big Baby?

Question Sweet/Sugary Diet = Big Baby?

I know with GD that there is a high chance of having a larger baby. Would the same principal apply if you had a diet that is high in sugar?

When I was pregnant with DD I went completely off sugary foods, and pretty much lived on savoury, and she was born 6pd8oz. I was just wondering since I have been craving alot of sugary foods throughout this pregnancy (and unfortunately giving in to the cravings most of the time), could there be more of a chance that he is going to be alot bigger?

Very curious to find out your opinions.

Alan, do you think that this could be true or just a total load of stupid preggo brain cells going crazy?

Hi,

With my first I put on 30 kg with a sugary diet and had a 4.3kg baby (9lb 8oz). For the second I only put on about 7kg and really watched what I ate. He was born 3.3kg (7lb 6 oz).

Don't know if you can go by this but it is interesting.

I have such a sweet tooth and ate lots of sweet food when pregnant (bad i know!) I put on 5kg and bub was 2.9kg (6lb 7oz)

I ate chocolate non stop in my pregnancy...no joke. I put on NO weight and Mason was 6lb2oz born 2 weeks early.

I ate alot of good stuff with DD, put on 16kg and she was born 3.385kg

This time ive ate nothing but junk and have only put on 1kg so far

Hi Mel,

With GD different principles are at work than with a high sugary diet. Put simply in GD the body is unable to use/breakdown the sugars resulting in extra sugar in the blood which therefore goes to baby. In a properly functioning body, the sugar can be broken down effectively to be used/stored and the body is able to maintain a 'normal' amount of sugar in the blood. Different people metabolise sugar differently.

It is soooooo hard not to give into those sweet cravings but as they say...everything in moderation...hope that has helped.

Lynnette x

Hi Mel
    I tend to agree with L-net. If your body is not using the sugar that you are eating then your BSL would be high. In otherwords you would have GD. If you do not have GD then there is little chance of the sugar causing you to have a larger baby

Thanks so much.
    I was starting to worry I was going to have a 5kg baby . Stupid preggo brain thinking stupid things again. Thanks for your help.

Hey Mel
    you could still have a 5kg baby but it would not be due to the sugar LOL