Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swelling

Default Swelling

Hi,

I am 27 wks pregnant and about a week ago my feet, ankles and legs decided to swell up and dont want to go back to normal at all.

Should i be concerned about this? I have only had hot hot summer babys, except for one and i dont remember if i got the swelling with him. I know that its normal to swell in the summer months but what about the cooler months? Surely i should have some days or at least overnight where the swelling goes away?

I am able to push my finger into my ankle and it leaves and indent that takes ages to go away. They go from badly swollen to mildly swollen but they are remaining swollen, mostly badly swollen though.

I am normally on BP meds as i have renal artery stenosis and high BP but they took me off them when i was sick a couple of weeks ago as the illness made my BP 60/40. So my concern is whether or not this swelling is a sign of rising BP again or if you dont think its anything to worry about.

Sorry for the epic but i needed to proparly explain myself.

Thanks

Tigergirl1980 Guest

If you have BP problems it could be the issue. You should go and get your BP checked asap you may need to go back on your meds. It is also possible that it's a bit of water retention because of the pregnancy but it's better to be safe.

julesy Guest

What you've described sounds like "pitting odoema", which can be a sign of increased blood pressure. Given you have a history of high BPs, and you are only 27 weeks, I would recommend you get yourself to your GP for a checkup and to go back on our meds! You don't want to add high BPs to your pregnancy if it can be helped.

Hope everything is OK.

Julesy

Hi,

Thanks heaps for your replies, i will get checked out for sure.

I will let you know what my OB says.

skorpy Guest

You have the same problem as me.

I have swollen ankle,foot and leg on my left side.But my right side is fine.Its sore sometimes when i walk on it and Throbs with dull aches and even get pins and needles in my toes

It swells worse in the evening because I have been on my feet alot during the day.Looks like someone got a mallet and hit down on my foot it looks that bad sometimes. My Temperature is fine and my face or hands havent sweeled up,so it isnt Pre-eclampsia.

I am however carrying alot fo excess fluid,so thats probably whats doing it

My feet, ankles and legs all decided to swell up to the max about 3 weeks ago. Its not painful just annoying as none of my shoes now fit so im wearing ugg boots everywhere! But i did ask the midwife about it and she said as long as you dont have high blood preasure then its just part of pregnancy and nothing to worry about. At the time my blood preasure was a little low as i was and still kinda am, recovering from a really bad case of the flu. She also pushed the skin on my ankles and said as long as you get those white marks when you press them its fine.
    I found putting my feet up or a warm bath helps.

Sorry to hijack; I was just about to post about fluid retention. I'm also 27 wks and the slight retention in my hands/wrists has now spread to my ankles. I can't see my ankle bones anymore, like after a longhaul flight. I've also had a headache for 24 hours and am twitchy around my left eye. BP has been fine (120/80) but hasn't been checked for 2 wks. Any advice?

skorpy Guest

If the swelling has gone to your hands aswell,I would get it checked.Or you could just phone someone and tell them this is the case,then they may say if its important for you to be seen or not.

Blackbird, yes I would have that checked out just in case. Hope everything is okay.

I had the swelling in one leg as Skorpy described. Then after the birth, both legs, ankles and feet were like tree trunks for two weeks. I was a bit shocked till the midwives told me all that fluid had to go somewhere and it was nothing sinister.

Just make sure you get yourself some really comfortable and large shoes. =)

I also had swelling during my first pgcy. It was BAD from about 20wks on and I was constantly being told I had "toxicity of pgcy" by women who didn't know my history. Anyway, I ignored them and just tried to make myself comfy. At 37wks I had protien in my urine and hence had PE. My message to everyone with bad swelling is just to watch it. I know with some MW clinics, you're in and out so fast they hardly seem to notice you. As long as you are being monitored swelling isn't a huge issue. If you have spots in front of ur eyes or bad headaches ring and get checked. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Kristi, I def think you should get ur BP checked again. I hope it's nothing serious and simply being back on the meds helps out (if needed). I wish you all H & H pgcies!

Hi,

UPDATE

Well my swelling was a bad sign. Yesterday i felt so off colour and tired and kept getting black spots and headaches. I went to clinic first thing this morning and discovered i had had a massive weight gain of 3.2kg in 2 wks. As soon as i told my OB she went straight to my ankles to check for swelling (which they were nothing on what they were yesterday) and could straight away see they are swollen. My BP had gone up so she told me to go straight home and take my meds.

She tested me for a whole heap of things both blood and urine and if i have any concerns at all gave me the direct number to ring at the hospital. I have to eat a high protein diet for the next week to try and bring down the swelling she said (never heard of that before but thats what she said).

Thanks for all your replies, it was much appreciated.

Blackbird- Get your BP checked asap, let us know how you go.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

So glad that you got checked out, I hope you are feeling better today.

Hope you're feeling better soon Kristi. My legs are still very swollen tonight and I've spent most of today resting as I was so tired. I'll ring my OB tomorrow and see what he says.

Hope youre ok Kristi.

My legs/ankles/feet are still swollen.. my hands have been for weeks.. not overly, just enough that i cant fit my rings on anymore. Blood pressure is fine. Midwives say everything is ok so i guess i just have to go with that, being im almost due too.

Kell, the fact the midwives know what is going on and are not concerned means that everything is fine.....try to relax and spoil urself hon! U deserve it and so does Bub!!

Kristi, I've got swelling in my fingers and feet and GP said to take celery tablets or eat celery as it acts as a diareutic.

skorpy Guest

My foot was really bad lastnight,the worst its ever been.But I havent any swelling anywhere else.My poor toes looked like pins against my foot lastnight where it was so puffed out.

Hi,

Thanks for the well wishes, its much appreciated

Skorpy- that sounds awful and painfull too. My toes were looking like sticks against my big feet too and when they were like that my feet stung to walk on as the skin was stretched so tight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast