Thread: Swelling in ankles and hands?

Bubbyno4 Guest

Default Swelling in ankles and hands?

I am almost 30 weeks pregnant and at my last antenatal appt which was last week, the midwife asked me if I had any swelling. My answer was 'no' as I could still see my ankles quite clearly..LOL. The midwife told me that my BP was borderline high also. Today and last night I have noticed that there is some swelling in my ankles and my hands. Should I be concerned? Why would my midwife have been asking if I had any swelling, is this because of pre-eclampsia? You would think that I would know as this is my fourth pregnancy. Anyway, any info or advice would be muchly appreciated. TIA.

High Blood, Sweeling, Headaches and blurred vision are all signs of Pre Eclampsia chances are your midwife was concerned you may have the early stages of this, might be worth giving her/him a call and just seeing what you need to do, In the meantime maybe try and keep your feet elevated. I am also a risk of Pre Eclampisa I have slightly high BP and blurred vision.

If you are worried give the hospiatl a call. If the weather is hot it can make your hands and feet swell up also.

What was your BP the last time they took it ?
    Did you do a urine sample and did they find any protien in it??

Bubbyno4 Guest

Thanks girls. Just called the hospital..felt a bit silly as this my fourth but they are so lovely there. The midwife said to come in this afternoon and get it checked out. They will take a urine sample. She assured me that if it came back normal, not to feel silly, at least I will be reassured She was saying that swelling could be just normal as long as I wasn't seeing stars. I saw stars this morning.... 8-[ Anyway, thanks for your advice, I am off now. Let you know how I go...

Hope everything goes ok and it's nothing to worry about.
    Please let us know how things go.

Good luck Im sure everything is fine but much better to be on the safe side

Bubbyno4 Guest

Thanks for your thoughts and advice. I went to the birth centre yesterday and there was no traces of protein in my urine! YAY. =D> The midwife didn't make me feel silly for coming in and getting it checked though, which was great. She also checked bubby's heartbeat which was beating strongly so very relieved about that. My BP was down too. Woo hoo. Now at 130/65 instead of last time being at 130/90. Hopefully it will stay that way. I am glad I had it checked as now I can relax and know that everything if fine. Thanks again, girls!