Thread: swollen hands and feet

Default swollen hands and feet

hi
    im 28 weeks and my hands and feet have been swollen since about 20 weeks. its really uncomfortable now coz my hands are sore. im seeing my ob on weds and am going to check with her about preeclampsia but my blood pressure has been normal up till now.
    just feeling very worried.
    they usually swell up when i am in a hot room and sitting for long periods (my feet that is) and when i wake up my hands are sore. has anyone else experienced this???

sarak

hey sarak,
    I am experiencing the same thing. My hands seem to swell when I am on my feet for long periods of time like walking around. ANd my feet and ankles are swollen all the time!
    I have been worried about PE too, but at my last check up on Friday, BP was 110/70 and the one before that was 130/70. So I am not too worried about PE and nor is my doctor!
    Some people just swell up, normal pregnancy thing unfortunately. And yes, I wait up in the mornings and my wrists are really sore and fingers and toes really tight.
    Try and keep you feet above hip level whenever possible and make sure you drink lots and lots of water.

thanks so much ngala. i sometimes feel like im loosing my toes haha when it gets really bad. am looking forward to some cold weather already!!!

I had the same with DD, all was just fluid retention not PE for me...altho BP sky rocketed from about 36 weeks onwards....

I got really swollen both times especially on hot days - it was even worse in the few days after I gave birth.
    For the last few weeks all I could wear on my feet were thongs and sometimes they were a bit tight too.

heca Guest

Hi Sarak,

I read somewhere that swelling, although connected to PE, is not a good indicator of having the disease. The two important factors for PE are high BP and protein in the urine. Swelling, though annoying and painful and frustrating, is one of those normal symptoms of pregnancy.

Although I'm forty weeks (sigh), I had some swelling in my hands (more so than feet), about a month ago which alarmed me. However, no PE (which I had in my first pregnancy). It's all gone down now. The best thing that helped for me was rest, lying down in particular, so if you can get some off you feet time, hopefully that eases all that tightness and pressure.

Best of luck,

Heca

Me too -
    Really sore and cramping in my hands and super swollen feet too - My GP said it was carpal tunnel which is really common during pregnancy apparently - as my BP was fine also. I try and sleep with my hands down below my heart (great another sleeping no no just what we need right?)
    Just make sure you take off any rings while you still can - DH cut my wedding ring off at about 38 weeks and it was very upsetting!!!

Smile

Hi im 37 weeks +3 days and iv only jus this past week or so had very swallon hands and feet and high blood pressure also,had midwife last week and was sent up hospital over nite as they thought was suspected preeclampsia had blood results back and was all clear which was very gd news lol! This past week i have to see midwife weekly and i seen her monday with still swallon feet,ankles and hands and blood pressure was normal which is very weird! But midwife said maybe with me having all this swalloness it could be slight minor preeclampsia or just the weather as somedays have been quite warm... dunno weather this could be the same as what u may have but if its just slight swalloness which is what i have then it could be the case but midwife said theres nothing to worry about as it could just be a very minor sign of it but just gonna keep a check on me weekly. Good luck with everything! x

Hi - i am 34 weeks 4 days and my ankles and hands are getting really bad..

ny ankles are so swollen by the middle of the day i can hardly walk they hurt so much, i am getting owrried ..

My BP was hovering around 130/70 then it went to 110/70 then last visist was 130/80, wondering if i need to contact the hospital or if it can wait until next week when my appointment is.... how do you know when you should contact them ?

Hi there,
    I'm no doc so son't take this as gospel (lol) but my BP was 120/80 yesterday with trace protein in my urine, and there are no probs here! I dont have any swelling at all though.
    If you are worried, call your midwives or dr, and just see what they say.
    better to be safe than sorry hey.

Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

I have had swollen feet since about 16 weeks ( a looonnnnngggg time) Physically cannot wear anything except thongs - great in a Melbourne summer but now thats its cooler Im just lucky Im hot all the time!! At irst they would go up and down at night when I raised them et. Now though they dont go down at all. I also took my wedding rings off early too and am feeling like I will never get my hands and feet back.... My BP has been fine all the way through though so thats the main thing - good luck!