Thread: Is there anything safe i can take?

Default Is there anything safe i can take?

I'm 30 weeks pregnant and have woken up with a very sore throat and an ear ache on the same side, so guessing both are related. Is there anything i can take to ease the pain just a bit? especially my throat, it even hurts to talk and swollow.

Tegan, you need to see the doctor. It may be a throat infection requiring antibiotics. Home remedies to ease the symptoms can be as simple as a warm lemon drink with honey in it.

Hope you are able to get in tomorrow to see about it as it can't be pleasant.

You can take some panadol, hun.

Actually i can't get into the doctor until Wednesday. hopfully it's not something bad...

Oh, that's very inconvenient. Is there someone else you could go to if you start feeling worse?

Sorry, I don't want to worry you but I know I'd be cross too if I was told I had to wait until Wednesday.

Tegan, the fact that your ear is aching as well as your throat is almost def a sign of infection. Are you spitting up green/yellow? I would recommend a Dr's visit as soon as possible and start on some vitamin c or something. Pain wise, you are allowed panadine (codine is ok during pg if taken only occasionally). Try to keep up ur fluids and watch for a temp.... Get as much rest as poss ok? Take care....

Maybe try gargling some salt water to kill the germs. That always works for me. Also try drinking HOT water to sooth your throat.

DH swears by eating something greasy! He said Dr Karl of JJJ did an experiment and found that greasy food works the best as it coats your throat. I find eating hash browns from Maccas works REALLY well. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Celsie. xoxox

Tegan, not much i can add other then i hope you feel better soon.
    But I LOVE your belly photo!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Get some hot water, and put in some honey and lemon. I think I saw somewhere here that Alan said that the regular Lemsip is ok to take.

I was in the health food shop the other day coming down with a bad cold and the lady there said all the Brauers stuff is ok to take in pg - I hope she's right cos I got the head cold spray and it really worked. They have a range of things - maybe check out your local health food shop and ask them if they have something that may be suitable. It's all homeopathic stuff - they do a good baby range too.

You can have either Lemsip or some Strepsils.. just not ones that state theyre "cough lozengers". Ask the chemist which ones are ok while youre there, but there are a few that are fine. Either that or put a 1/4 of a lemon in a cup with boiling water.. add honey if you want.. this also helps the throat.
    Re the ear ache, only thing you can have until you see a dr is panadol.

I agree with Katkins.If the pain is quite bad you can take a panadeine.My OB gave me panadeine forte(1/2-1 only) for when i had really bad pain.You will need to see a dr to treat infection and make sure you you check your temps and its not too high.