thread: Is there a best position to sleep to get the baby in its best position for delivery?

Mar 2007

Is there a best position to sleep to get the baby in its best position for delivery?

I sleep on my sides most of the time but sometimes I end up sleeping on my back which some people think is a no no during late pregnancy. So, I raised this question to my doctor and she said that it's okay to sleep in any position as long as I am comfortable. However, these last few weeks, she's been encouraging me to sleep on my sides to prepare the baby for delivery. Since then, I have been so conscious during my sleep reminding myself not to sleep on my back ever again. As a result, I've been waking all night checking on myself... and I have to admit that it's so hard to just sleep on the sides and not on the back at all. When I get so tired, I ended up taking a cat nap on my back for about 30 minutes to an hour... now, that feels like heaven!

Should I become overly concern about the position which I sleep in? If so, which sleeping position should allow the baby to be in the ultimate position for delivery?

Jan 2009
    hiding under my desk!

its not just how you sleep that effects your babies position...
    sitting in a nice cooshy couch slouch down is bad.. your better off sitting on a fit ball or a dining chair backwards.
    i think its LOA that is best for baby..(brain fade atm)
    has she said where your baby is??

Mar 2007

During my last visit at the doctor which was Thursday, she said that my baby was engaged and the back was on my ride side. Is this good or bad?

Up until now, I will feel like the baby is moving its back from left to right... is this normal?

Jan 2009
    hiding under my desk!

yeah that is normal
    it sounds like your baby is in the right position now
    just keep doing what your doing

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

Yeo its LOA. ROA is prob next best.

Mar 2007

How bad is it if I end up sleeping on my back for more than an hour? My doctor mentioned I shouldn't be on my back for more than 1 hour, is there a reason why?

Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

apparently it can put pressure on blood vessels, organs etc, but in general you body works that out and you'll roll over automatically if theres a problem

Jul 2006
    Logan

I try to sleep on my sides but my legs go to sleep. Most nights I wake up on my back and then I move. I think my body knows when I have had enough sleep time on my back. I also wedge a pillow down my right side to prevent completely being on my back.

Mar 2007

I think I might be putting a lot of pressure on myself which has become really straining during my sleep. I guess I hardly sleep at night now because I am way too conscious of how I sleep. I also use a wedge pillow to support my back so I don't end up sleeping on my back, but obviously it isn't working very well because I end up sleeping on my back. So now, I will let my body tell me when it is enough from the back. In the mean time, I will go to bed on my sides. Hopefully this will do the trick so that I catch some sleep and getting ready for delivery!

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

dont stress too much about it Carmen!!!!i am sure she woud prefer that you DO sleep!!!

Apr 2007
    Brisbane

What's the benefit of sitting on a fit-ball or on a backwards-facing chair? I'm not really doing anything in regards to positions - mostly just slouching around on the lounge or sitting at the computer waiting, waiting, waiting...

Oct 2008

I still lay on my back all the time but I can never fall to sleep unless I am on my side. Lately I have started getting this aching pain if I lay on my right side but if I sleep on my left then its fine! I know my bub is on my right side and facing head down so I think this is why my right side starts aching after a while but I just do what I feel comfortable doing!

Oct 2008

I have a document with some good advice and in it has 'ow to assist turning the baby during pregnancy'

-Keep reasonably active
    - Practice good posture
    - Watch TV while kneeling on the floor over a beanbag, sit on dining room chair back to front, and sit on a fit ball
    -Use yoga positions or pregnancy yoga classes eg sitting with your back upright and soles of the feet together and knees out to the sides while resting, reading or watching TV
    - keep car seat back upright, sit on a wedge cushion in the car to tilt your pelvis forward
    - Try to keep your knees lower than your hips
    - if you have swollen ankles lie on your side with your body at the same level
    -sleep or rest lying on your left side with pillows for your belly, back and between your knees to help create a hammock for the baby
    -try swimming with your belly downward, eg breaststroke and front crawl, but kick with straight legs
    - sit on fir or birth ball for sitting watching TV, reading working on the computer
    - get down on your hands and knees, try moving your hips from side to side, arching your back like a cat and dropping the back to a flat position no to hallow, circle and rock your hips at least three times a day for 20mins at a time
    -try the knee chest position where the women gets on her hands and knees and then -drops her head and shoulders to the floor
    -try crawling around the room, explore crawling forwards and backwards
    -try warm baths
    -acupuncture

Sorry its long, thought some women may like to read it.

Mar 2007

Serenitylee,

Thank you for your post. I think this is rather very thoughtful of you to post this long thread. It will be helpful to many especially for those who hope the pregnancy is just going to end at some point. I am almost at my due date and still no signs of labor yet. At this point, I am getting so frustrated because I can't sleep no matter which position I am at though I try to stay on my sides to help the baby be in its optimal birthing position.

Have been sitting upright a lot with knees lower than my pelvis... Although my baby is engaged and I am 3cm dilated... it feels like it's taking ages for the "day" to happen. I am really hoping to be a natural birth without having to be induced, but it seems like this is more like what will happen in the end. Unless my baby decide to show a day before my induction date like DD1. SIGH, I am doing whatever that will help to prepare my baby for the best birthing position.

Oct 2008

Thanks Carmen2

I hope it all happens for you in the next few days!! Fingers crossed

I have tried most of those tips but the sitting on the back of a chair is a bit hard when you only have little leggies like mine I will have to invest in a fit ball!