Thread: Twitching eyelid and optometrists during pregnancy?

Question Twitching eyelid and optometrists during pregnancy?

Two years ago I had an eye exam and the optometrist said I needed glasses but he didn't recommend I get them as his opinion was that they make the eyes lazy, so better off waiting. Considering he was the professional I took that advice, but have since learnt that its pretty much [email protected] and if I needed them I should have got them then. Anyway, during pregnancy I had noticed my eyes become worse, seeing things far away is becoming a whole lot harder and I am finding myself having to bring things very close to be able to see/read them. So I mentioned this to my midwife at 28 weeks, and she recommended getting an eye exam, but then went on to say that the relaxin (sp?) hormone can relax the eye muscles and this can sometimes be the problem.

So now I'm a bit confused... I haven't had an eye exam in 2 years now, so I am due for one. But should I wait until after the pregnancy to have one? Even if there is something wrong, which there was in early 2006, will they just put it down to pregnancy if I go now?

To make things more confusing, now I have a twitching eyelid, my right lower eyelid. Its been twitching on and off for a week and it's REALLY annoying me! And I'm not entirely sure who I should talk to about it... midwife, GP or optometrist? I don't know whether its because of the pregnancy or whether it would have happened anyway and I do need to see an optometrist...?

Anyway, my question is, is it worth seeing an optometrist now or am I better of waiting until after the birth?

ETA: GD has been ruled out, I don't have any swelling, and my BP and and urine are fine so no indication of PE. Just in case you're wondering

I would still go now and then go again after Bubble is born so that way you know if what you are experiencing is just pg related or if your vision is deteriorating. Plus an optometrist would be able to tell the difference between what is caused by relaxin and what is geniunely a problem.

I would say wait until after the pg before seeing an optometrist. If you have noticed that your eyes have gotten a lot worse very recently then its likely that it is due to pg. I saw my optometrist for my regular eye exam but it was at the beginning of the pg and everything was just as it usually is. If you got glasses now they may not be the right prescription for after pg. After I had DS, a physio told me that it takes about 3 months for the relaxin to get out of your system and muscles/ligaments to return to normal.

Regarding the twitch, I was told once it was due to fatigue. When I had it, I had been doing way too much reading and was told it would take 3-6 weeks to settle down. If you're straining your eyes a bit due to your altered vision then I guess that could kick off a twitch too - unfortunately it sounds like a bit of a vicious cycle doesn't it

HTH

Hi Leasha - I have also had an eye-twitch during this pregnancy. I am meant to wear glasses - just for reading/computer - but lost them ages ago! I started studying in Feb, and knew I'd be doing a lot of reading etc - and my eye had started twitching - so got my glasses replaced. They've been a godsend, and the twitch has lessened, as the glasses seem to take the edge of. But it is also due to fatigue - which is inevitable when pregnant - so I suggest when the twitch starts up, if you can, close you eyes for 10 minutes and let the muscle relax. This particular muscle is "involuntary" so you can't control it. My optometrist told me you eyesight will deteriorate during pregnancy - but will go back to it's normal self after birth. You can buy cheap reading glasses - which are purely for magnification - this might help you get through the next couple of months.

Hope this helps!

Lee

I went to my optometrist when I was pregnant with Zander & he told me it was a waste of time, especially late in pregnancy. The reason being that relaxin relaxes ALL the muscles in the body including your eye muscles, so if you have bad eyes they will more than likely get worse over the course of your pregnancy. However they should return to their normal state not too long after birth.

Hi Leasha
    I also think you should wait until after the baby is born. Relaxin does influence your muscles and this could lead to an inaccurate result.
    Your eyelid twitching is a muscle spasm could be caused by a lack of potassium try eating bananas and see if this helps.

I broke my glasses a few weeks ago and needed them replaced. Went to the optometrist and had a eye test as I was due anyway. As I still had my glasses, they were able to see my old prescription. Thankfully the prescription has not changed though my optic nerves are swollen. This could be due to pregnancy or genetics so need to get them checked out again after Speedbump is born.

IMO go after bubs is born as it will give you a true indiction of what your prescription should be. The optometrist said she would not have drawn up this prescription if she did not know what my previous one was due to possible changes with pregnancy.

Eye twitches can be a sign of magnesium deficiency, which can in turn correlate to Alan's suggestion of potassium deficiency as the two work together for muscular relaxation and contraction.

Try eating bananas and almonds or taking a supplement that has magnesium and potassium specific for cramping. Might also help to ward off any calf or leg cramps that can also occur during pregnancy.

Just a suggestion

Wow!

I had an eye twitch the other week for about a week and a half. Thankfully it has gone away now as it was starting to drive me insane! I just put it down to one of those things as I have had them in the past when I have been particularly worn out.

I was then noticing on the weekend that I couldn't see as far as I normally can. I have always had excellent eyesight so was starting to panic that the computer work i do has finally got to me and damaged my eyes!

I am so glad that I have found this thread and the wonderful advice on it as I would never have thought about relaxin being responsible for the sudden change in my eyesight or for magnesium or potassium deficiency for muscle twitch.... so I think I had better start eating some bananas and almonds and hope my eyesight improves after bubs is born!

Leasha - we aren't far away now from the birth so my opinion after reading all this would be to wait until afterwards, when you know you are back to normal!!!

ahhh my eyelid has been twitching too..but it only lasted about 2-3 days. It even twitched when i tried to sleep....and i must say, i didnt get much sleeping that night. Its a very frustrating thing to have happened..

Hi Leash

Medicare will pay for an eye exam every two years but if in the opinion of your optometrist you need another one then they will pay for that as well. So, if you think you need one now and then are told to come back after you have bub then it should be fine. If it is worrying you then I would get it checked out.

Also, the eye twitching can be a vitamin deficiency but is most likely to be extreme tiredness. And not necessarily who of body tiredness just tiredness in those muscles (think of how the muscles in your legs twitch after you have gone for a really long walk or something - generally the same thing.) I think that if that is still going on in a few weeks once your exams etc have finished and you have had a few days break from the books then I would get it looked at but I suspect that it is a uni/pregnancy tiredness thing going on.

Good luck