Thread: U/S How many do you have?...

Default U/S How many do you have?...

Coming from California I am not sure how many U/S you are given before the baby is born if you are having a normal pregnancy, with only some mild bleeding periodically?...

So far I have had 3...one at 6 weeks, 9 weeks & 12 weeks.. I have read that some of you have had an U/S in the third trimester as well...is this routine?

Hoping it is..would like to see the bub one more time before she is born..

Cheers,
    Andrea
    :flower:

I had my first u/s 12weeks second at 19 weeks had to have another at 23weeks as bubby was asleep at 19 week scan and couldn't get what they wanted I believe there is sometimes one at 38 weeks as well just to check bubby out but I think the norm can be

Date Checking Scan most likely 6ish weeks
    testing Scan for downs etc 12weeks
    routin measuring scan 20weeks
    Checking position and all is working well 38 weeks

I had 3 ultra sounds, @ 7 weeks, 12 weeks and 18-19 weeks.

I think it all depends on your OB/Dr/Midwife if you have another one @ 38 weeks, I don't think it is routine. I never had one done with Nicholas and as far as I know I won't be having one done this time around either.

Yes you are right Kazz

But you may have one late in your pregnancy if they are not sure which way up the baby is.

Same here.. 8wks, 12wks & 19wks. OB does a mini u/s each visit, but that doesn't count... they're so quick I don't get to see anything!

I had one at 12 weeks (didn't need an earlier dating scan as I knew my dates), one at 18-19 weeks for all of the 'big' stuff (also found out the gender!) and I will have another one around 32-33 weeks because the placenta was lying low at the two earlier ones.

A few other people with low lying placentas have also said they get one done around 32 weeks to check that it has moved out of the way.

I thought you could tell position of baby without having to do an u/s? My baby has been head down facing outwards for over a month and my ob told me just from feeling and finding the hb. I can tell from the type/position of movement as well.

As the other girls have said - ooops and alan- mainly 12 and 18-20weeks are "routine". Any earlier is usually for dating and any after can be for all sorts of reasons. Bleeding, previous m/c, previous pg problems etc...

I have also had a 30 week one to check on bubs size, due to DS being small when he was born and also because of meds i am on for arthritis(can slow down growth weight towards the end of pg). I am due to have another one next week (33weeks) to check his size and possibly position (currenlty breech) and hopefully that will be all.