Thread: Uterus Size

Lee-Ann Guest

Default Uterus Size

I know I shouldn't worry and well, I hope it's just normal. But for the past couple of visits to the Drs my uterus has been measuring 3 weeks below my dates. So I'm 32 weeks and my uteris is measuring 29 weeks. Has anyone else had this? The midwife and Dr didn't seem too concerned and hopefully it's not something to worry about. But you know how it is, it's just in the back of my mind and is causing me a little anxiety and I'm trying to tell myself that maybe bubs is just curled up more so isn't stretching my uterus so much etc. But really I don't know and I don't get to see my Dr again for 3 weeks. With my other 2 pregnancies I always measured to dates.

Last time I was pregnant my uterus measured exactly to dates until the lat few weeks when it fell behind a bit which is probably a good thing - I'm a bit of a shorty and I don't know how a 40cm fundus would have fitted. I'm not sure if its normal but I'm sure that if there was cause for concern your care providers would have done further checks like U/S etc.

the measurements can vary depending on how you are carrying, and who's doing the measuring too. Is it the same midwife each time?
    In general, as long as you're getting consistent growth they tend not to be as concerned with whether your measuring to dates or not.

My measurements after 30 weeks never measured similarly to what they should have so they were always a few weeks off, early or late :-k

Lee-Ann Guest

Thanks ladies. I have grown, it's not like I've stopped so that's positive and I don't look physically small! Both the Ob and the midwife both measured 3 weeks behind dates, so it's probably just how I'm carrying. Bubs is moving A LOT, so that's a good sign too and I go for another scan at 34 weeks so I'm sure if there is anything to worry about they'll pick it up.

Thanks again!

i think also that the guides given are just that - guides. all of us carry babies so differently, as long as bub is growing and your carers are happy then all should be well,