Thread: Vaporiser & Eucylptus oil during 3rd trimester?

Default Vaporiser & Eucylptus oil during 3rd trimester?

Hi everyone,

I've started to come down with a shocking cold - bad sinus pain, crappy feeling throat, sneezy and just feel.. well.. like crap!!!

Just wondering if anyone knows if its ok to have the vaporiser with eucy oil in it in my bedroom to help keep my nose clear? I know there was some concern about using essential oils during pregnancy, but can't remember what you aren't supposed to do with them!!!!

If anyone knows anything it would be greatly appreciated. I feel like death warmed up...

Ta

I got the flu pretty bad just days before having Emily, and I used my vapouriser with Euky Bear oils. I actually didn't even think twice about whether it was ok or not (ooops!). I'll have a look at their website and get back to you.

Okay, well I *think* that inhalation isn't the big issue anyway, what you need to be wary of is when you're putting certain essential oils directly on your skin (like with massage).

I looove eucalyptus, and use it all the time, used it all through my pregnancy, for what it's worth.

Cool, thanks guys.. I'll give it a burl...

Hopefully I will be able to breathe tonight!!!!

I have been in that situation just this past few days but with dd. She has had croope(sp) real bad. We had her in our room with the vap. on but I know in the past the Chemist have said to use it without the oil when you are pg. It did just as good job for dd, I got some sleep so you might want to try it without the oil & ask the chemist tomorrow.

I'd be checking on that - I was told earlier in this pregnancy not to use eucalyptus in any shape or form. I don't know the facts on it, but it was someone on BB who told me not to use it.

One website I was just reading says to avoid using it during pregnancy. Like someone else suggested, you can use the vapouriser with just water only.
    How are you feeling today?

ETA: just found this on another website:
    It is best to avoid certain Essential Oils during pregnancy. Check with your physician if you are unsure about using any essential oils while pregnant including: Basil, Clary Sage, Juniper, Rosemary, Marjoram, Fennel, Clove Bud, Cypress, Camomile, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Cedarwood. (Caution need not apply to oils used in vapourisers).
    So I guess it's alright to use?
    Last edited by Visitor7; June 19th, 2008 at 09:22 AM.

Like crap... lol
    And I think DS is coming down with it too, wants to be picked up all the time - just what I don't feel like doing!!!
    We did use the vaporiser last night with the oil, but honestly, don't know if it helped cos I can't inhale!!!! lol

oh no, I hope he doesn't get it! How many vapourisers have you got, have you got another for his room? Get the vapoursier and medicine into him before he gets too bad. I found when I had the flu when pg it took a couple of nights before I started noticing the difference. Are you at home with him today, or at work? If you're at home, put the vapouriser on during the day too.

Ooh thats an idea... I'm at home today... I gave him a dose of Demazin to hopefully knock it out of his system before it takes hold too badly cos I don't want him to feel as crappy as me (but I'm a bit jealous since I can't take any drugs for it.. lol)

But yeah, what an idea for the vaporiser during the day time... oooh.. might have to do that!! Thanks Jodi!!!

no worries, hopefully it does the trick.

Smile Vicks

I use Vicks because I have a cold all the time. I think you can take some cough drops too, the pharmacy person said it OK!

Keep an eye on yourself this late in pregnancy though - if you're not getting better quickly enough or if you get worse, head straight to the doctors - I had bronchitis at 34 weeks and it was really awful. So take care, okay?

Nelle - just goes with the rest of the pregnancy!! This is my third bout of cold and flu, and I've had about 4 bouts of gastro - all since November.... think this is a troublemaker I'm carrying..

Default Question for Nelle

hey Nelle, when you got bronchitis did you have a fever or anything? Just that my cold has turned into a cough, and its on my chest now (I wheeze when I breathe in, and if I try to breathe out properly I cough like nothing else.. )
    So just wondering how you knew you had it or was it just a bad cough? I'm not too concerned, just sometimes I think I'm going to cough so hard I'll have the baby.. haha!!

I went to the dr because my chest hurt when I breathed - but I wish I'd gone to the dr's before then, I got so sick, and needed penicillin injections. Your immune system tends to be pretty compromised when pregnant, so if you're in doubt, head to a doc to see if they can give you some ways to stay healthy.

Thanks for your reply Nelle

My chest doesn't hurt when I breathe in, so it must all be good. Got 4 weeks to clear it up (hoping for an on time baby, rather than an early one!!!)