Thread: Vitamin K: to inject or not to inject?

Default Vitamin K: to inject or not to inject?

Once again the internet provides a wealth of useless or contradicting information. Some sites say that the injections increase the chance of childhood leukemia, others say this was disproved. Some say oral doese are safer, others say that oral doese don't provide adequate protection.

My midwife said I should look into it, but didn't offer any information about the possible side effects, just that in some cases they would recommend the injection, if we had complications, but that the final decision was up to me. Does anyone have any information on this?

I'd like to give Brandon the extra protection of Vitamin K, but not if the risks are higher than the benefits, and I'd like to do so in the safest way possible.

Both Kameron and Lachlan were given it. I didn't have to consent to it, it is just done pretty much automatically for all newborn babes I think unless of course you request it not too.

You'd think your hospital would have information about it without the need of having to research it yourself grr.

It was only the Hepatitis B shot that I had to sign a consent form for before my boys could have it.

Love :smt049

I have to consent to both before they will give it to the baby and I had to do the same with Emma & Jack. I didn't think they were allowed to give it without parent consent. I still have to give consent now with Emma & Jack when they have immunisations at school. Kathryn are you sure you didn't sign a form on admission that gives them permission to give the injection???

Susan I don't know if you have read this one or not but thought I would put it in for anyone who was interested. Vitamin K information

I will be consenting to bubs having the vitamin K injection as well as the Hep B. I have had my Hep B as it was a requirement of my job when I worked in day care ... so as I know bubs will be in day care at least 2 days a week during term 4 then he/she will be having both.

Cheers

I have to consent to both as well.

I figured that since Brandon will be having the mandatory Hep B at one month or whenever it is, he may as well get the optional one straight away, as is said to help boost his immunity.

I know what the vitamin K is to prevent, but don''t know much about the side effects. Did you get any information on the downside from your hospital Kelly?

Oh hmmmm. Maybe I did sign something. I can't remember LOL. Anyway I know they both had it

Nope no information about the downside but then again I get my kids vaccinated for most things.

I didn't bother with chickenpox as they have both had it already. I also don't let my kids get vaccinated at school as I am not there to monitor for reactions etc... some would say I am over protective but I certanly as a teacher wouldn't be happy monitoring up to 30 kids in my class after an injection had been given!!! JMO.

I have done some reading this time and have listened to a friend of mine who has chosen to immunise her daughter naturopathically and I will still be immunising my baby. I have worked in a day care centre where a child was not immunised and she ended up deaf due to not being vaccinated against measles. They ended up giving her a cochlear implant at the age of 3 but she had to learn how to talk all over again and I saw the anguish her parents went through.

Cheers

Thanks Kelly for that info... Susan I've been trying to look up the same stuff as I have to let the hospital know in the next few weeks.... Confusing stuff out there....

I planned on vaccinations against virus' and hep B, but I was confused about Vit K & .... there's one other thing I think.... PG brain! LOL! anyway
    off to read the link!

Christy

Okay I did sign a consent for I remembered last night as I was going to bed. I remember telling the midwife I had already signed a consent form for Hep B and she said it was for vit K.

Orkids Guest

I was given the consent forms for vitamin K & Hep B shots when I booked into the hospital. The midwife told me that the oral dosage of vit K was just as efficient as the injection, so I'll be doing that.

However the Hep B injection at birth I declined. The get the injection at 1 month and I think 2 more so that they are fully immune at 12 months. The midwife said that my baby would be low risk for getting Hep B (not going into childcare etc) and that the injection actually rose the body temp of the baby for a few days, which is undesirable. She wasnt discouraging me from having it, but from what she told me it wasnt necessary.

katanya Guest

Jessica I have also chosen to not have the Hep B given at birth.(will have it at 2 months) I personally feel a newborn baby has enough to deal with, without being injected from all angles. I have elected also for vitimin K to be given in oral doses.

I had intitally a huge conflict with the whole thing of immunisation. I work with children with Autism and most parents are convinced that the MMR (given at 12 months) will bring on Autism. I have also worked with Adults with a disability brought on by injections, in the first few months.

Okay so what do I do? I want my child to access childcare? I want them to be protected from diseases that could cause other disabilities, like the little girl Kelly mentioned. I have decided that with each injection I will consider what alternative means or lowest risk I can pose to my child (the health clinic will probably get frustrated with me) Like the MMR can supposedly be injected in 3 separate needles I am told, this seems to be a more viable alternative as the child isn't recieve 3 major diseases in one hit.

Like my friend said to me "Immunisation is good for the community, not the individual" It is so hard when you want to be a responisible member of the community but also do the best thing by your child?

Pietta Guest

Crikies!! We have to think about a lot as parents dont we. I have totally started to appreciate my single Mum more and more.
    I am going to do research on the immunisations, but i agree with you on that it would be good done one at a time.

I am glad I still have about 4 months to decide.

Jen Schuster Guest

Hey Guys

Hope this reply is not too late. Both my husband I are totally against any injections for the baby at all. We came to this decision after much research and reading on both the pros and cons of all types of vaccination.

There are enormous amounts of information readily available on the pros of getting all these additional injections but we found it alarming that the hospitals, health care centres, and doctors didnt have or couldnt provide resources for the cons (and there is always two sides to everything.

So here is a list of books that we found about the cons of all types of injections and found useful in making our decision. Just remember that you have to do what is right for you and as long as you make an informed choice and do your research you will feel comfortable with the choice you make.

Books:

The natural way to better birth and bonding - Francesca Naish & Janette Roberts

Vaccination - Viera Scheibner

Vaccination? - A view of risks and alternatives - Issac Golden (victorian based in Daylesford)

http://www.wnho.net/vaccinationnews.htm

http://mercola.com/2004/feb/21/vaccinations.htm

Hope this all helps

Love Jen

Thanks Jen

After doing some reading today I have decided not to go with immunisation for Hep B but will continue as planned with the other immunisations.

I am well aware that it is the choice of the parents to make these decisions and I respect peoples choices but I of course make my own. I would hope that no matter what a persons choice or stance on a topic is they are respected for making an informed decision that is suitable for their family and child.

Emma & Jack have NOT had Hep B immunisations but have had all the rest of the immunisations recommended. This child will be the same.

Good luck in your decisions ...

Cheers

Jen Schuster Guest

Hi Kel

I absolutely agree - Everyone should make their own choices and they should respect others choices and have their own choices respected.

Glad you have made an informed choice - so many people make a choice based on what other people are doing.

Love Jen