Thread: Vulva varicose veins TMI

Unhappy Vulva varicose veins TMI

I have varicose veins of the vulva area which is causing me some serious swelling and pain. The ob was sympathetic but didnt have much to say other than to wear supportive underwear.
    Vulval varicosities are swellings of the outer lips of
    the vagina. They are caused by blood pooling in the veins, making them swell,
    similar to varicose veins of the legs. Vulval varicosities can make the genitals
    ache and feel sore and very 'full'. They do not cause problems for the birth process
    and should disappear a few days after your baby is born.
    I found this, so I know what is happening, however I cant squat at all without immense pain and going to the loo is painful let alone doing no. 2's.

Just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has had or has this pregnancy problem? How did you deal with it? Any hints to relieving pain etc?

Love

Helen,

My SIL has mentioned to me previously that she has this issue......I will ask her what she does to alleviate the discomfort and if she has any suggestions, I shall let you know..............

Thanks Lucy

Love

Maybe standing on your head for a bit to stop the blood from pooling......only joking

Surly if its that painful there would have to be something your Ob can suggest to help you. Did you tell him how painful it is?

OMG.. you poor thing. I have no suggestions I'm sorry, I haven't heard of it before. I hope you can find some relief soon!

Apparently there is nothing that can be done apart from keeping your feet up etc andd not standing for long periods. She said that they will go after birth though, so not much longer. I have found going back to my bikini undies not the granny ones has helped a little. I try not to squat anymore and only sit on the toilet for as long as neccessary. Have taken to eating some licqorice to soften my no. 2's to make it quicker. A great excuse as I love licqorice.

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I hadnt heard of it before either and had trouble finding anything on the net about it. Was actually quite embarrassed to post on here as noone else had, so hoping this brings a few ladies out of the woodwork. Oh and LOL about standing on my head, that would not end well with my balancing skills.

Love

Oh ob hasnt had many people with it as far as I know. Only 1 woman who wore lycra bike shorts.

Love

I have heard of it before but I can't think of where or who I heard about it from. I think maybe my sister?? I will have ask.

I wonder if using a cold pack would help any? wet a pad & put it inthe freezer then in your pants, Ooo that would be a cold sensation but might relieve some discomfort for a bit.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

My mum had this too with us - I will ask her too I really feel for you...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know