thread: washing baby items

Dec 2008
    Brisbane

washing baby items

how far ahead did you start washing your baby items?

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

last time i think i did them all at about 37 weeks... so 2 weeks before he was born
    think i will do the same this time, maybe a week or so earlier as i am stopping work earlier.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

we've been washing a little at a time for a few weeks now - probably started nappies at start of the third tri (cos they need to be washed a few times to make them absorbant) and clothes about a fortnight ago (so 32 weeks ish)

Apr 2008

dont do it!!!!!!

i washed so many clothes and then DD didnt fit them as they were to big and for Summer. I have about 15 outfits that DD never wore and i cant exchange as i took the tags off ans washed them

Mar 2007
    Paradise

If they have the tags removed already, anytime is fine. I washed ours a few weeks ago. Do make sure you stick to the size and temperature you expect (0000 - 000 and winter) and anything that is too small for your bub you can put in gift bags ready for baby showers, letting the mum's to be know that they have only been prewashed, and if they dont fit to do the same.

Dec 2008
    Melbourne

I washed all mine about 3 weeks ago, but I have only washed the clothes I am planning on taking to hospital. Any clothes I receive at baby shower or as gifts when baby is born I will wash when I come home.

I used Amolin baby wash, you can get it at Safeway or Coles, its for sensitive skin and babies.

Sep 2008
    Adelaide

Have washed all mine (most done by last week) so I guess about 4 weeks before, but I am too organised for my own good LOL

I took all the tags off as wouldn't take them back if not used anyway, just pass them all down the line for the next Mummy.

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

I washed all mine after my baby shower which was 36 weeks, so prob about 37 weeks?

I didn't think about taking things back if DD grew out of them! So we washed everything!

Platinum Member. Love a friend xxx

Mar 2008
    Perth, WA

Whenever I get a sunny day...

Esp with the cloth nappies. They take forever to dry :-)

DoubleK Guest

with DD, i washed just before we moved out together (32 weeks) this time around, i havent even thought about it yet!

thanks for the reminder! lol i should do it while we still have this beautiful weather!

Feb 2008
    Down Under

i didnt actually BUY much this time, so all the stuff i got was second hand but i still washed it about a week before..

Oct 2008

What washing powder/detergent does everyone use? and do you all put all the baby stuff on an extra rinse cycle?

Dec 2006

i have bought EcoStore sensitive powder - it's a bit more exxy but you use bugger all. most stuff is being prewashed with no detergent as it's not technically dirty, it's just to make sure there is no manufacturing residue...

Oct 2008

I have washed some of my baby clothes and I used a sensitive powder and then on the second rinse I put some Huggies fabric softener in the water. I was told to do 2 rinses so that you make sure all the powder/detergent is not left in the clothes etc.

Dec 2006

i always double rinse baby stuff - but i haven't bothered with softener - theory being that if i add minimal chemicals to her clothes, if she DOES react to something i'll know what straight away... but this is coming from the perspective of me having very sensitive skin - i have to use particular washing powders or i get itchy as all get up - didn't even think of it and mum washed soem clothes for me during the fires - every item i wore that she'd washed left me itching like a loon!

Oct 2008

Oh that's a bugger that you have such sensitive skin!

I figured the sensitive washing powder I have should be ok since it is for sensitive skin and the fabric softener is Huggies so hopefully that is ok and if my bub has a reaction then at least I can narrow it down to the washing powder of the Huggies fabric softener Cross fingers for no reaction though

Dec 2008
    Melbourne

I used Amolin, it is for sensitive skin and babies.

Jul 2008
    Brisbane North

I put a load of washing on after my waters broke! That was 3 weeks before my EDD though and I was fully expecting to be overdue so it was quite a surprise, missed my last day of work too.

We used Lux soap flakes for baby stuff with DS but we've now switched to soap nuts for all our washing so I guess I'll just use them this time around.