Thread: weight gain

Default weight gain

Hi Everyone.

Well i'm now 33 weeks / 4 days. I was wondering how much weight gain is normal?
    i am a little overweight at 165cm, before pregnancy i weighed 85.5kg. at my last midwife appointment i had only gained 3.35kg. they say baby is perfectly healthy, infact they expect him to be on the bigger size.
    i just feel 3.35kg is much less than i expected.

I've read that in the second tri the normal weight gain is 2.5kg per month then in the last tri the baby should put on 250g a week but we should be gaining less than a kg per month as we're no longer gaining the extra blood volume etc. I was really happy to see I had lost a bit of weight in the last two weeks as I had put on a lot of mummy weight over holidays. I'm sure that as long as they are happy with bub's growth you should be fine.

Isabeau Guest

At last weigh I had gained 20kgs that made me depressed lol
    but I was 34 weeks so I guess it's not too bad ??
    Owell I can still get around and I'm not waddling
    Just annoying that I will have gone up a size or 2
    and my legs are the main problem for the clothes sizing

It is quite common for people who are a little overweight to put on less weight during pregnancy than girls who are on the skinny side. Try not to worry, everything sounds OK to me

I am 27 weeks and I have put on 8 kilo, I was 65 beforehand, now am 72, but I don't look like I have gained anything other than babyweight. Am a bit thicker around the thigs, but last time I got really chubby in the face

So far in this preg (i'm 31 weeks) i've put on about 11 kilos (but i was underweight at only 45 kilos when i conceived). I've also been told i have a huge amount of amniotic fluid in there so i feel comforted thinking that'll go after birth.

nearly 26 weeks - have put on 10kg OMG!
    But, as Caro said, plenty of similar threads on this topic, and everyone is different.
    I have read that no matter what your pre preg weight is, everyone should still put on the same amount, ie, if you are overweight, you should still put on the extra 12 - 15kgs recommended, but, i think if the care giver is happy, bubs is growing fine, and you are feeling good, then if you put on more, or less, then it doesnt really matter.

Hi, Im 34 weeks and so far have put on a Whopping 500 grams the whole pregnancy!
    when i asked the Ob should i be concerned he said, "no way, can't you see the big tum infront of you?? bub's is definatley growing!!" so im happy this time i will come out maybe lighter than i started!!

suzyaaron Guest

Hmm..when i first detacted that im pregnant, that time i was 5 weeks preggy..i lost weight from 45kg to 39kg..sometimes can feel the wind blew and swept me away..
    I didnt gain much weight till i 5 motnhs preggy..that time i ate a lot..from 39kg, i slowly gained up to 53kg now (now im 38 weeks & 5 days). So totally i gained about 13kg. But i can see that the weight is put on me and not much to the baby since my baby is slightly small, but i ate a lot. Anyway, now i keep trying to increase my baby weight while he still staying in my belly here. well, since he is now in my belly weighted 2.2 kg, i think i needed to increase till say maybe 2.7 or 2.8kg. moreover, i'm in size at 160cm height and 53kg weight..any tips on how to gain the fetal weight guys???

Kristy I put on 5kg during my whole pregnancy. I last weighed myself about 4 days before my daughters birth, and I was 55kg. Before pregnancy I was 50kg. She was 2.9kg at birth and is perfectly fine so far.

I started off at 60kgs and am sitting on 78 now with 3 weeks to go. My midwife and endocrinologist are both happy with my weight gain and even though it's well more than the 12kgs I said I would put on as a maximum, I'm not too upset about it. I've recently started to hold a lot of fluid in my hands but my BP's still around 125/65 so they're not worried. At my last ultrasound (34 weeks) he was 2.945kgs and they guestimated from that weight and the curve that he'll be around 3.5 at 40 weeks which is good.

I had a friend who put on 35kgs due to bed rest and masses of fluid retention and someone I know put on only 2kgs through the entire pregnancy because she was overweight to begin with and pregnancy was about the first time in her life she actually paid attention to what she ate!