Thread: What is considered full term??

Default What is considered full term??

Hey all
    this is a pregnancy brain question... but I have to ask
    What is the OFFICIAL fullterm?? is it 37 weeks or 40 weeks?
    I was always sure it was 40 weeks.. but I read on some website that you have come to term at 37 weeks... BUT you are overdue if you go over 40weeks.. ahhh!! too much confusion Please explain

Kelly's the expert, but I thought 38 was considered term.

Only 4 weeks to go hon. O

Probably one of those things where it depends who you ask!
    When I went into labour at 36w2d with my daughter the OB at the hospital told me they considered 37 weeks "full term" but 40 weeks is the goal.

Shannon is correct term is 38 - 42 weeks. At my Hospital they will not induce you until you hit 42 weeks.

hmm 38 weeks ? well thats alright then , 4 more weeks and i'll be full term
    (sounds better than 6 more weeks )

Fruitwood Guest

Hi, I gave birth to my beautiful daughter Olivia at 37 weeks and thought I was early but my midwife said that the hospital here considers 37 weeks to be full term so to them Olivia wasn't early. At my obstetrician visit at 36 weeks I was prebooked for an induction appointment at 40 weeks. I think each hospital and obstetrician is different in what they call full term.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Some say 37 some say 38 depends on the hospital/midwife etc, but I say 38 in all my articles etc. I would rather have that extra week in case, not that we can help it if a baby decides to come early.

I wouldn't wish unexpected prematurity on anyone - it is a fine line with breathing problems - not just the most prem babies have them, but those past 30 weeks can too. I think it's not so much an issue where it starts as doctors will have to decide to stop your labour or let it continue depending on your situation, but moreso where it ends - some Obs will want to induce close to your due date and some will let nature take it's course, which of course puts you in a whole new ball game for your labour.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; May 10th, 2006 at 11:54 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Join us in Melbourne on Saturday April 7th!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

37-38 weeks is what you hear, depends who you talk too. But then my gyno said to me re: strep B testing when I had just hit 36 weeks, that he would not test if say I went into labour tomorrow. Guess that is what they call a definite premmie, prior to 36 weeks.

This is interesting actually.

At our antenatal classes and according to the midwives full term is any where from 37 - 41 weeks. At my hospital they won't let you go past 41 weeks pregnant before inducing.

However my Dr said that whilst 37 weeks is considered 'term' he likes to see bubbas in there till at least 38 weeks as bubbas born at 37 weeks can still have some breathing difficulties.

I would lean towards 38 weeks being 'term'.

According to a premature baby site I am in. A premature is a baby that comes before 37 weeks. 37-42 weeks is considered term.

If that is right then all my babies have been term, although Kate(38w), Tim(37w), and Isabella(37w) have all been termed as being prem by all the hospitals I have been at!

Jess

Yeah Kate my hospital is the same, will only induce at 42 weeks unless there are other known problems.

Sorry guys - my bad - its 40 weeks + 10 days.. so that makes it 41 weeks and 3 days or something like that. At 40 Weeks + 10 days they start look at inducing! With of course what ever you have discussed at your 41 wk appt which is probably where I got confused!

I was told it was between 37 and 42 weeks was considered full term.

I had heard 38-42 weeks. It's a general guide that things should be ok. But dont wish to have bubba out any sooner than when it naturally happens, whether that be 38 or 42 weeks, as I think it is a guideline as some baby's can be ready at 38 weeks and others not. My DD was born at 37+2days and she still had difficultys. Mind you nothing bad, jaundice and was very sleepy, had trouble with feeding due to sucking reflex not quite right and she took approx 1 1/2 hrs to feed. Yet she was still healthy in every other way.

Love

I've noticed that the opinions of 37 - 42 weeks differ between Dr's and midwives (I've been taking note since reading this thread and I've spent ALOT of time at the hospital this week!)

At my hospital they go with 38 weeks. I had to be induced with my first because of pre-eclampsia, but they wouldn't do it until I was past that 38 week mark (it was only a matter of a couple of days though). My SIL has been induced for her last 3 pregnancies and they wouldn't even book her in until she was past 37 weeks, so she would definitely be 38 weeks when she was induced.

How funny is that Bon... they classify term from 37 weeks but come to think of it they are holding off till 39 weeks to induce me because of the same reason as you (mind you its obviously not severe pre-eclampsia)... strange!

Technically, It depends, 37 weeks is considered Term for multi's (Women who have had a baby before) and 38 for Prima's(first timers) or atleast this is what I have been taught.