Thread: Whats fully enganged?

Default Whats fully enganged?

I had my midwife appointment tonight & she said that baby is well positioned (not postiour, YAY) and is "as engaged as she is going to get". Then on my card thingy she has wrote 3/5 (with an arrow pointing down) engaged. So is that fully engaged? How does it all work. I think she is still sitting pretty high up, although I guess I have dropped but wouldn't have though she was fully engaged yet as it doesn't "feel" that way IFYKWIM. But could it just be that she is really long? Plus my placenta is sitting at the top of my uterus. Under my ribs but slightly to the front. Do you think that may be why I still feel/look like she is sitting higher then she is?

FJ, Kelly can probably give a better explanation, but as far as I know 3/5 engaged means three fifths engaged, but you can never really be 4/5 or 5/5....otherwise you'd be in labour! Also, the arrow poiting down means head in downward position.....

I asked my OB about this, and he suggested that babies move up and down, especially in subsequent pregnancies.....I had an image of Lexie bouncing on her head like she was on a trampoline, but I guess they must move a few inches up and down, just through motion of the amniotic fluid......?

Dunno. Maybe I am talking out my arse! Bit knackered this morning!

LOL, thanks Lucy. Yeah I gathered that the arrow meant head down etc. I just wasn't sure if 3/5 engaged was as far as they get before you go into labour. But Like you said anything more would mean I would have to be in labour. This morning I reakon she has moved back up a bit again though, she si right under my ribs!

Oh I hope things start soon for you Emma! I was reading through all the birth announcments last night & started to feel a little anxious. But Nothing happening here anytime soon I don't think!

Fiona, I'm glad to hear that she is the right way and getting ready to meet her mummy, daddy and brothers

Hi FJ

3/5 with an arrow pointing down means that your baby’s head is 3/5 below the pelvic brim. And yes if your baby was much lower you would be in labour.

The little bugger has moved! I have gone from the typical booting on my right side to now a bum on my right & a foot on my left! She better get her self back to the better position in time for the birth!

FJ
    She is still in a good position for birth

Alan, my last was born postiour. Every time I feel that she has changed her position I worry that she is going to be like Glenn. I birthed him with no major issues but I really don't want a 14 hour active labour again. Even Evan was 9 hrs active labour.
    I really hope I can stick to something under 6 this time.

I should add, I am actually getting alot of movement just above my pubic bone, if she has her back to my stomach wall what in the world would I be feeling in the front that feels like arms or feet or something! Defently not the back of her head/neck thats for sure! Unless she is a freek!
    Last edited by *Efjay*; October 13th, 2006 at 07:16 PM.

FJ

I doubt she’s a freak. It is probably her hands. Also her back may not be directly against your stomach. It may be that it’s her shoulder that is against your stomach.

LOL, I didn't mean a freak as in deformed or something. Just very flexible!
    She is still jumping about etc. Some times I am sitting there & instead of having a nice up & down stomach its more going across. Thats when I feel her bum opoking right out on one side & the feet on the other.

FJ,

This little one is flopping side to side, one minute I feel her kicks on the left & the next the right... I can always feel the bum though...

Its good in away that she has changed sides for nnow because I was getting a bit tender from always being waked in the same spot. But Now I am not use to it on this side so it makes me jump.

Well just look on the bright side .......... In 13 years your daughter may be a famous gymnast. LOL

LMAO or making some lucky man very happy!

Gowd! Such thoughts of my daughter!! Naughty Naughty!

LOL FJ!!! I had never thought of it that way.... naughty!

Matilda was heaps more active than this one & was doing turns well into my 42nd week!! In fact during labour when they had the CTG on it was pointless as she kept kicking off the monitor and some of the time they just turned it off because it wasn't going to be able to pick anything up on such a mobile baby... and she turned into a very active little girl.

LOL FJ ........ You are a very naughty girl!!!!