Thread: When do BH's start?

Default When do BH's start?

Hi
    For the last couple of days my tummy has been feeling very tight (on/off) - sometimes it is just on one side like a lump and other times the whole tummy. Is this BH or just bub moving?

Bub is apparently lying tranverse at the moment and I am 28wks.

Thanks, T.

Hi Tess, they can start really early on. Certainly you could have them at 28 wks. Your whole tummy tightening sounds like a typical BH.
    I thought i wasn't having any. But i was told that everyone has them, but not everyone feels them. I realised that what i thought was bub sticking it's foot in my ribs and stretching was actually a BH!
    Push the top of your tummy and it will be a bit soft, when you have BH push again and it will be tighter, like a drum.

Thanks AngeA - I think that is what they are then. Good I guess my body is just doing normal things for once.

T.

You can get them from around 20 weeks, which is when I did. With braxton hicks they are usually managed with a warm shower, rest or panadol (if necessary). Mine got worse as the pregnancy went on, but not everyone is like this.

Mine started at around 20 weeks too. For some reason mine leave me feeling like I need to go to the loo, but there's nothing there. I only get a couple every few days so far though. I've heard that everyone gets them all the time, but only feel them when the uterus is full eg - when pregnant. You actually get them when your not preggers as well.

in all three pregnancies, i found my BH started from about 20 weeks so you could definitely be getting them at 28 weeks.

Up until now (over 40 weeks of pregnancy), I have not experienced any BH! I guess some ppl get them and some don't! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy.

Carmen, pretty much everyone gets BHs. Its just some dont feel them or realise that is what they are. My first pgcy, I thought it was bub poking itself out the side, but my whole tummy was slightly harder and I came to realise as I got further along, that they were in fact BHs. This pgcy I get them all the time and they take my breath away. I started getting them noticably at around 16wks. I also get some back pains at times with them and I find if I do a lot of walking etc, I get them more often.
    You are prob feeling BHs Tess, its nice to know ur body is getting ready for the big day, even if it is still a way off.....

SueB Guest

I have been having BH since around 22 weeks, They were just tightenings but from about 30 weeks on they have been really taking my breath away to where i have to stop what i am doing and rock and sway my way through them.

~Belinda~ Guest

I think I was around 20 weeks when I first noticed them. It's just a general tightening feeling with me, not too painful, like a dull period pain. Not everyone gets BH so I have been told by doctors etc. But certainly I have had them. At 28 weeks I am sure you'd definately be feeling them if you are getting that tightening feeling. Good luck with your pregnancy!