thread: When does it become real?

Nov 2008
    U.S.A

Smile When does it become real?

I am so excited to become a first time mother it is ridiculous. It used to be that every time I passed a week I was closer and closer to baby. Now when I pass a week i just feel like I am still so far away. I am finally 27 weeks and in the third trimester. My fiance and I are planning a move in about a month so I cant exactly prepare the nursery just yet. Plus I have a lot of pregnancy complications which make me feel depressed. So basically I am wondering.... When does it all become real? When do you finally feel like it i happening? What are some ways I can make myself more enthusiastic and not counting down the minutes and seconds?

Any thoughts?

..... and how is every one doing?

May 2005
    Canberra

I found it becomes 'real' a few months after having bubs

Even the third time round, I feel a bit surreal about it all. I KNOW I am pg, I can feel bubs moving around in there (non-stop), I can get very excited, But I can still kinda 'forget' sometimes IYKWIM? Even if I don't forget I am pg, I forget that 'holy crap, I am going to have another child soon!'. I have moments of realisation, but I know for me It will not feel real until a hile after bubs is born - and then I will feel like bubs has always been there and barely remember what it felt like not to have them around

Mar 2007

Yep, not even when the baby gets here, still feels weird!! lol

Mar 2007
    outer South East Melbourne

It didn't really feel real to me until I went into labour & then it was OMG this is really happening.

Peach Guest

Forgive me if this sounds weird ....

I used to sings songs to my "Bump"
    Read her stories ..

And you know whats really nice .. now my little DD goes straight to sleep when I sing to her .. no one else will do it HAS to be me and my voice .. its really special I believe she remembers my voice from the womb.

Apr 2009
    Bunbury, WA

Oh that is just gorgeous, singing to your baby. Will have to start doing that, I'd forgotten my little man can hear me at 27 weeks. My two year old loves Dad's singing but hates mine and tells me 'no! no! no!' and I always thought it was coz I am tone deaf!! hehe

Even though I was totally excited and just busting to meet my son when he was born, I don't think being a 'mummy' became real till a couple of weeks, maybe even months, after he was born. And now it feels like my pre-mummy days were aaaages ago, becoming a Mum has changed me and my lifestyle in soooo many ways. Watching him grow and learn and seeing his personality come through is just AMAZING and I get goose bumps all the time. And without meaning to, every decision I make these days is all about what's best for the family and not just me - from our diet, to reorganising our home to suit my son, to how we spend our weekends, to what kind of holidays we go on, etc. But that is not to say that I don't need to go out without my son and forget I'm a Mum! I'd go crazy if I didn't get that 'space' when I need it, am very lucky to have a brilliant hubby.

I can't wait for my second son to be born. I'm 27 weeks atm and have been having a wonderful time going thru all my baby gear while my first son is napping. But am not enjoying the leg cramps and am missing my smoked salmon.

Oops, didn't mean to write so much!

Nov 2008
    U.S.A

Red face

I really like the singing to the belly idea. That is cute.

I guess I just wish this would hurry a little faster so I can experience the joys of motherhood. I can't work due to pregnancy complications, and I can't prepare the nursery until we move in May.

What are some things to do to get my mind off this ever slow process!!!!

Mar 2009
    Edens Landing, Yes its actually a place

Yep i found that it wasn't until My first baby started to move that it felt real then not again til I had him in my arms, then I couldn't sleep until 3 days later one of the mw's came and said "go to sleep. I'll let you go to sleep holding him but as soon as you are asleep I'll take him out to the nurses station so you will sleep properly" lol
    I talked to my tummy too, with all 3 pregnancies. This time around its more Joey and Lilly that sing to it and tell it stories, hug and kiss it.
    Are you still working, I find that helps pass the time. This time around I am working up to 37 weeks. All the women I work with are funny they tell me at the beginning of each shift that they are prepared to help me deliver if need be. (i'm a nurses assistant)

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

May 2007
    Brisbane

It didnt feel real for me until a few weeks after she was born, I didnt get the OMG I'm a mum until then.

Maybe take up a sewing or cross stitch project for bub? Learn to knit or something like that? make some cute stuff for bub?

Mar 2009
    Edens Landing, Yes its actually a place

Oops you replied while I was writing my reply, Don't know what else to recommend to pass the time seeing you can't work, maybe find some kind of volunteer thing???

Best of luck

Nov 2008
    U.S.A

Wink

Leoni P- That's ok. Actually I am a nurses assistant too. (how coincidental lol). It was putting closer to preterm labor so I had to stop.

Mar 2007

I found when I was in labour that night at home before heading into hospital.... I said to my DH "wow we are really going to have a baby VERY soon!!" and reality sunk in a bit more...
    DD is now nearly 11 weeks old and I STILL feel like "wow, we have a baby!!" it's ALOT to take in.... even when they are born.... it's a miracle

eta - my pregnancy went quite fast as i was working and was busy all the time.... so never really had to count down as such until towards the end.... those last few weeks are hard!!

May 2005
    Canberra

It is funny how with your first pg it just goes sssooooo slow. I found the second time around it just flashed by (too busy running after DD). This time I make sure I regularly take time out to 'enjoy' being pg, before bubs arrives and I am even busier. I don't want to feel like I missed this pg, like I did the second one.

It is a it like christmas, kids get so impatient and just want it to hurry up and be here - not realising that by doing that they are missing out on so much fun and excitement in the meantime.

Because even though you may decide to have another bub, trust me when I say that it will never e the same as the first time.