Thread: When is swelling just swelling and when is it something more?

Default When is swelling just swelling and when is it something more?

I had pre-eclampsia with ds that came on fairly quickly at 36wks and I have been told to keep and eye on it with this one so I am just wondering when is swelling just swelling? It is bloody hot here, and humid and yes my hands. fac and legs are swollen but isn't that normal in pg too? Bub is still kicking around heaps and other than being tired I feel pretty good. I have an appointment with OB on Monday so is it OK to wait until then???

BTW anyone got any tips for reducing the swelling esp in hands - forgot to take my rings off - whoops

Oh and forgot to add, if it is PIH again what is the usual care when your not full term? Thanks

the only thing i can think of to try and get yours rings off is cool your fingers down (if the swelling does happen to be caused by the heat/humidity) and then the good 'ole soap trick. If the swelling down to go down, it may be worth getting a quick check up... better safe than sorry at this early stage... Good luck hun

Thanks, I don't know if it is sudden, today has been the worst but it started about 2 days ago. I'm going to chuck on the aircon and go to bed and hope for a cooler day tomorrow. Might pop in and get BP checked somewhere if it gets any worse. Thanks again

Hope it settles down Sara, and you go FT - get a take home baby this time!!

Hope it's not PIH for you Sarah. Not sure about pretern care as I actually got it postnatally but I do have a good ring trick though.

Cool your hands as much as you can. Get a long piece of string. Tuck one end under the ring you want to remove (enough so you can grab it with the other hand). Wind the rest of the string around your finger so that each coil touches the last. Make it firm, but not tight enough to cut off circulation. Make it firm though so it compresses a bit.
    Take the first end and just unwind with it still under the ring. The ring SHOULD come off with it.
    Good luck

My legs, hands and feet all swelled up when i was around your stage.. my feet and legs got worse. They were like balloons.. but i was told its normal. I had to take all of my rings off. I left my wedding band on though it was ultra tight.. now it can come off if i shake my hand hard enough.
    With my feet and legs, the midwife would push my skin on my feet and as long at you get that white kinda imprint when you push then it was fine and the blood was circulating. Whens your next appointment? You might just want to mension it, im sure its normal.

I just read somewhere that big swelling first thing that is there first thing in the morning in hands and feet is something to look out for.

Swelling that gradually comes on later in the day, especially if it is hot or you have been on your feet, is more normal.

Or you could be like me and have permenant swelling!However, my Ob isn't concerned about it because my BP is totally normal. Sudden swelling, pins and needles, blurred vision, dizziness and nausea are all signs to look out for.

HTH

MG

I also had PE with DD & was told to keep an eye on it with this one aswell.
    My feet r starting to get super swollen. My gp told me i had a mild case of odema. My hands only seem to swell during the night & morning. My bp is fine so i assume if it was something to worry about the gp would of said something.
    I think its the heat & humidity thats doing it.
    But if ur worried u should go & have ur bp done just to ease ur own mind
    Hope everything is fine,i'm sure it will be

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm still feeling good so I'm assuming that it's jsut swelling unfortunately MG I've been getting all those sympotms my entire pg so not helpful in telling if something is up.

Went and got my rings cut off today and feels so much better. I have an appointment with OB on Monday so I think I will just wait until then, bub's is kicking around having a ball so I think we are OK. thanks again

Sara. I hope it's not PE. Let us know what your OB says... I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

MG

Glad things sound OK Sara, take care of yourself...

Just letting you know my BP and urine came back excellent, dr did say it was a little early to be having such huge swelling probs but nothing to be concerned about. Yeah! Thanks for all your thoughts