Thread: Would You Fly???

~Belinda~ Guest

Default Would You Fly???

Hi

My DP wants to take me to Tasmania for a 5 night stay before we have our little girl. I will be 32 weeks when he wants to go..do you think I should risk it? I live in Queensland and would definately need to fly.

Love Bindy xxxx

personally i wouldn't do it...what does your dr think?
    you could consider getting a train to melbourne then getting the boat across to tassie. would take a lot longer though.

Unless there is a medical reason you should have no problems with flying. You still have a good 8wks or so to go, unless bubs is very early. I flew 2 flights at 35wks no problems at all.

I checked with my doc before i flew at 32 plus weeks and he said there were no issues (i had no BP problems or fluid problems or anything)with flying if you had a normal pregnancy. I had a scare while I was away (a very small bleed and a few contractions that they couldn't find what it was) when I asked should I fly home or drive - they said that they would even recommend I flew becuase I'd be at my destination faster and I'd be much more comfortable than sitting in a car for hours - the flight itself wasn't likely to do anything and if I did start having contractions I'd be at medical assistance within the hour anyway.

I'm pretty sure a couple of docs have told me that the only reason they don't want you flying late in pregancny (and these days I'm sure its post 36 weeks and for some airlines there is no deadline) is cuase they jsut don't want you going into labour on the flight (cause you are nearing that time of the pregnancy when it could happen anytime) and having to deal with a "medical emergency" in flight.

I flew to NZ in my first trimester and the only thing my OB said was that I should wear compression stockings to avoid DVT. These are available at the chemist for around $30.

If all the medical advice supports the trip, then go for it. It would make a nice babymoon for you both. It will be a long time before you and your DP will have time alone like that again.

Yep. Go for it if you dont have any medical reason not to. I flew from Bris to Sydney at 32 weeks. The only problem I had was that I was really big so kept getting asked by the airlines how far along I was. Also make sure you make note of where the nearest doctor and hopsital are down there as a just in case little one comes early. (slim chance I know)

I flew at 35 weeks, the flying itself wasn't a problem. although if you are like me and get lowered blood pressure during pregnancy, be aware that the initial take off could make you pass out (learnt that one the hard way).

at 32 weeks i don't think it should be a problem, so long as your pregnancy is straightforward and normal.

~Belinda~ Guest

Thanks so much girls for your opinions about flying. DP and I are going to talk more about it tomorrow

Go for it! Enjoy a last hurrah as the two of you. Double check with your caregiver, but I can't see why not!

the nice thing about flying when pregnant is you get special treatment, even on those airlines that have no assigned seating. Long haul flights require a doctor's letter saying how far along you are, and they each have different cut offs, so check with your airline (then you'll feel more informed/reassured too).

Beware the danger of being a bit vague: for instance at 28wks pg about to fly jakarta-sing-melb i left in the taxi the bag containing ALL our I.D./valuables/doctors letter and EVERYTHING but our passports as we arrived at the airport. irreplaceble documents were lost forever and i was distraught, but as the passports were in my hand, we still got the flight to have the baby in australia (in a labour so rife with complications we probably wouldn't have survived it elsewhere). Then the next day i walked through customs into singapore (transit) oblivious to the signs and tv screens everywhere saying cigarettes need to be declared... I was carrying a carton for DH and was detained, interrogated and nearly arrested and fined $1000, until i could convince them through copious genuine tears that it was an accidental oversight because i was so vague! (it still cost me $300 in taxes tho.)