Thread: Are you stocking up on household items

Default Are you stocking up on household items

before going on maternity leave? I was thinking of buying extra things like handwash, soap, shampoo, dishwashing detergent, laundry power, loo rolls etc.

Has anyone done this? Am I just being anal and driving DH crazy? I would love to know if you have done this and what you actually stocked up on.

Moglie- I do this all the time. Cause I buy it all when its on special. ie- Woolies has Omo 3kg for $9.95 and its usually $14. So I bought another 2 even though I have 2 alrealy at home. Nappies are good to buy when on special as well and so are wipes.
    Good Luck

I think that that is a very smart thing to do!!! Whether pg or not!!!
    As long as you're not stressing about it all (for yours & DH's sakes ) I say go for it!!

My biggest fear about only being on one wage is that we just wont be able to afford anything. We live with my FIL (due to health reasons) who doesn't contribute anything to the bills and buys his own food, which for 3 adults is a fair bit. I think I'm just trying to be practical so that hopefully we are only spending $$ on what we really need (even though that's what I'm trying to stock up on)........
    Just the thought of not having that extra income makes it seem so tough for me already.....

I love hoarding things and have stocked up on washing powder, napisan, toilet rolls, baby toiletries and nappies! It's funny because it's not like I won't be able to afford a $4 box of washing powder but my view is that it all adds up and on one wage we need to keep our shopping bills down. Also it will be nice not to worry about running out of things for a while. I will start stocking the freezer up next!

We definitely did this ... liquid soap, dishwasher detergent, toilet paper, laundry liquid, shampoo/conditioner, and tinned goods with long shelf life (e.g. tinned tomatoes, evaporated milk etc).

We stocked up on household items that we already use, rather than baby products, because, being first time parents, we weren't sure exactly what baby products we would like using in the long run, and didn't want to buy heaps of something that we ended up hating (e.g. a particular brand of wipes or nappies).

We stock up on the essentails whenever they go on special - It can save hundreds over the year!

But prior to birth I did a stock up too... Especially the big or heavy stuff that I didn't want to have to cart inside whilst I was balancing a hungry newborn baby. (That way my husband could do all the heavy lifting)

~Jane~ Guest

we just don't have the storage space

i will be stocking up as well! Just havent started yet. renovating house, have no where to put anything.
    A tip, i buy washing pwd in the big 15kg boxs at Big W. I wish i had put the date on the one that i have now, i reckon we have had it for at least a year. Maybe longer. Cant remember. But, as soon as laundry is finished, will be getting another one.
    Like Cherie - have not really stocked up on baby stuff. I dont want to stock up on a item, only to find i dont like it, or worse, baby has a reaction to it. We are going cloth as well, so is not much of an issue. Have just got a few boxs of liners, and wipes.
    And, meat wise, i tend to buy lots anyways when its on special.

I do this all the time (when not pregnant) I think it's great. I stress now when I don't have a whole heap of loo rolls in the cupboard, or washing detergent etc!! xo

DF and I fight over this all the time - I always ensure I have a "spare" and if I'm getting low on something will purchase it. He doesn't see the point as we do weekly shops...

Ha ha ha no I don't think you're anal - it's just nesting overdrive!

With my first baby she came nearly 4 weeks early and I had done NOTHING. So second time I was determined not to get caught out again. When I was pregnant with Toby from about 30 weeks I started hoarding up on EVERYTHING. I had three of those huge big 120L plastic tubs stored away chockers full of groceries, and our chest freezer was full to the top with meat, bread, milk and frozen meals. Plus I had the baby's room full of nappies, wipes and all that stuff.
    At my baby shower DH showed my mother and my aunt all the stuff I had hoarded and they couldn't believe it. Seriously it looked like we were preparing for a nuclear winter

BUT when I had Toby we didn't have to go shopping for two months or cook hardly anything so it was worth it and no one was laughing at me then!
    If you can afford it and have the time and energy I say do it! DH still laughs about my hardcore nesting, it was so funny!