Thread: children's psychologist testing ADD

Default children's psychologist testing ADD

Ok I just want to check before I sign all the forms

a little back ground 1st

We have just moved to melbourne from Cairns and my 8 yr old DS has only been at this new school for 4 weeks and in that time has been kicked out of class or kept in at lunch time 4 times so once a week, aparently he is talking not doing what is asked of him and just been a pain in the bum for the teacher.... We have never been told of these problems in his previous schools ( this is his 5th I know probly to many moves but we were defence) Anyway this teacher thinks he may have a learning dissablity ( let slip ADD but told me he doesnt want to put a name to it intil digonsed(sp ?).... I already know that he cant spell and HATES to write ( but I cant spell so I guess that comming from me ) Anyway I was given the forms today to sign to let the school test him for whatever thay think could be wrong, but I was taken back a bit when looked at the form and realised it was a child psychlogist are they the normal people testing for this I just want to make sure I am sign him over to the right people... If that makes any sence...

He is also going to see a speechie but I know that would come as every school does the same...

Thanks for any help you can give me feeling a bit stupid for even having to ask

I haven't been in this situation before but think a psychologist would be the appropriate person to see. You need to get a proper diagnosis if they really think it is something like ADD.
    If you don't agree with what they think you are still entitled to get more than one opinion.
    HTH

Yep the psychs are the people who do the testing for ADD and ADHD. You might like to also think about other learning difficulties (we found out our DD has a problem with decoding auditory signals, which explains why she can read really well but can't spell to save her life)!

In Vic, there is an excellent organisation called SPELD which has lots of information and resources that you could find helpful. Their website is here.

Thanks I will have to look it up once the kids are all in bed tonight it sounds like whats with DS as he read really well but can spell the word plus he can sit and play his ds game boy for hours if I let him and has the attenion to do that which makes me think that if it was ADD he wouldnt have the staying power iykwim

Quote Originally Posted by tali View Post
    Thanks I will have to look it up once the kids are all in bed tonight it sounds like whats with DS as he read really well but can spell the word plus he can sit and play his ds game boy for hours if I let him and has the attenion to do that which makes me think that if it was ADD he wouldnt have the staying power iykwim
    DD has ADHD that was diagnosed by her paed with help from the school psych and teachers. She is medicated and this allows her to focus at school without becoming a zombie. We are also watching her diet as some food additives cause big problems for her. Currently reading Sue Dengates Fed Up with ADHD for ideas.

The ability to concentrate on certain things and not on others is a part of ADHD. There are many other symptoms and not all kids have all of them. Also girls and boys can have different symptoms.

I remember crying when we had a meeting at school about it but nearly 2 years down the track we are learning how to manage it.