Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a Kinder

Default Choosing a Kinder

What helps you decide on what Kinder you will send your child(ren) to? Did they (will they) attend 3 yo & 4 yo Kinder? Or do you prefer a childcare program that incorporates Kinder (some parents prefer this as its a longer session rather then 2-3 hrs).

Have you ever considered a Montessori Preschool?

We are currently looking at all options including Montessori (Kinder only, she will be going to a mainstream primary & high).

So just wondering how everyone else went about deciding on what was best for their child(ren).

*hugs*
    Cailin

Being just a one car family and Andrew having that car to goto work, Kameron will have to go somewhere in walking distance which means the kindergarten that is just around the corner. He won't be attending till he is 4 though and I will probably look into enquiring about putting his name down closer to the end of the year.

May I ask what is a Montessori Preschool

Love :smt049

The Montessori preschools follow the methods of Dr Maria Montessori. Who believed in "helping children to help themselves". Montessori schools are still seen as somewhat alternative, even though alot of Kinders/Schools are starting to adopt the Montessori method themselves. I haven't had alot of experience with them, which is why I asked for those who had. Marc and I have done some pretty extensive research and quite like the ideas they have, but until we can see them in practice we won't know for sure.

For more information, you can check out The Australian Montessori Assoc.

I have heard some good things, and some things I am not quite sure of but we intend to check out a few in our area before we decide on if its right for Paris or not.

HTH's

*hugs*
    Cailin

blansk5 Guest

we have chosen a kinder that is a feeder to the primary school our boys go to, so they continue along with friends and makes the transition from kinder to school so so hard. Walking distance is a plus aswell as boys love walking to school and dont have to battle traffic then either and save on fuel and cut down polution.
    what they have to offer along with educational tools, support for advance kids or if the child is struggling with something that he/she isnt up to in skills.
    cheers
    blansk5

Well its getting close to the kinder season! How did you go? Paris ended up getting into a place that is just around the corner although it wasn't our first choice I am happy with the place

*hugs*
    Cailin

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I have been looking around actively too the last few weeks, and I have made contact with a few kinders, of which one you have to book from birth!!! Apparently it's due to the fact that it runs longer hours than most and parents like that when they work long hours too.

I have one in mind as a fave, and I have looked at the Montessori kinders. The closest is half an hour away and I was quite excited about her going there, but when I called, the lady I spoke to was not very forthcoming with information nor very friendly. I had to keep asking her questions and talk so she would respond! So I was a little put off by it, so I don't know what I will do now. Marisa will probably start with 4 y.o. kinder because it's too late for 3 y.o.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Kamerons name is down for our Kindy. When we started the playgroup that also runs there they gave us a form to fill in and it said "are you interested in your child attending this kindergarten" so naturally i ticked yes.

Love

We are looking into sending Alex to a Steiner kindergarten and school.

There are a few in Melbourne.

Basically the philosophy is that a child's job is to play, and they learn through play. It's interesting.

And it's part of my "long term plan" to get DH to agree to send Alex to a private secondary school. At the moment DH refuses to sign all application forms for secondary school, even though you have to practically enrol them at birth here in Melbourne. So I've enrolled him at five private schools with me as only signatory and with me having full responsibility for fees.

I figure if we send Alex to a private primary school I have more chance of convincing DH into private secondary school!

I also like the Steiner philosophy.

Maddison, did playgroup, 3 yo & 4 yo all at the same place (in fact same kinder that myself & my sisters attended!) The primary school across the road was hwere they often went for computer classes in 4yo kinder & the babysitter at the time had her kids there, so Maddison was comfortable with it, there are only about 120 students & all are very close knit, so I sewnt her there & she loves it, I also went to that primary School, as did both sisters & a teacher was still there from when I was there! So she obviously liked the School, we have had no problems or reason for coplaints!!!

dont want to step on any toes, just offering an opnion is all. i dont have children of this age as yet, just going by what i have seen in other children.

i know three children well who have been enrolled in steiner kinders or schools and all three of them are very naughty children. as in loud, obnoxious, not sharing, hitting etc. etc. i like the theory's behind the school, but when the children are screaming at their taechers or classmates and the response is, "now how do you think that behaviour makes me feel?" i dont think the children identify with that kind of teaching well enough. Given, all three children are extremely smart, but they have no social skills whatsover because they are not taught them, and i think this is important eraly on.

My DD just turned 3 and is enrolled to start Montessori next week. She'll be doing cycle 1 and it will be 5 mornings per week. After that she'll do cycle 2 & 3 at a primary school that has a Montessori stream.

I didn't find out about Montessori until mid way through last year so that meant I missed out on sending my DD to the school I preferred. It turned out okay though as the school we eventually settled on is really great. We went straight down for an interview and the school is set up really well. My DD is so excited about starting, she asks me everyday.

I absolutely love the Montessori philosophy as that is basically how we do things at home as well. If I wasn't able to get my DD into a Montessori for cycle 1, I was willing to homeschool her. We actually thought for a while we'd missed out completely and had already started to set up an area at home which she just loves.

re- the steiner system I grew up near one and quite a few of my friends attended it. Over time more of the kids that went to the steiner school seemed to get involved with drugs and crime than the ones that went to other schools. I geuss that there are other factors at play than the schools we all attendeed but I personally would send my children to a school that emphasised thier responsibilties towards others a little more. Maybe it was just the school and not the system but personally I'm a little wary of steiner however in the long run raising our children is our responsibilty not the teacher's responsibility so we can't really expect a school to install morals that we don't adhere to at home.
    I hope I haven't offended any steiner fans but I thought that I would put my two cents in.

Fire Fly Guest

Im curious, how do you find out where the Pre-schools are run?
    As we live in a semi remote area i know there is not one ran here which is unfortunate because id like DD to make friends there and go to Primary with same friends. I think there is a mobile one run where i do Playgroup but not to sure on how that would go.
    Im not sure if i need to put her name down now for next year and if i decided to defer it a year will i have to enrol again. I dont know if DD will be ready to go at 3 years old. Id only planned on one day a week.
    Please help [-o<

Is the Hawkesbury City Council your council? Coz I found this on their website:

Pre Schools (Community Managed)

Three Pre-schools are centrally located throughout the City to provide
    a facility for children 3-5 years of age.
    The program offered provides an educational component focussing on
    the social, emotional, physical and cognitive development of the child.
    Thus preparing the child for entry to school.
    Staff are trained in child development and early childhood education.
    A child can be assessed, referred and provided with an individual
    learning program.
    All services are closed during school holidays and normal operational
    hours are 9-3pm.

The Pre-Schools are:

*** Richmond Pre-School, 108 March Street, ph: 02 4578 2647
    *** Wilberforce Pre-School, Cnr King Street and Singleton Road,
    ph: 02 4575 1565
    *** Windsor Pre-School, 91 Church Street, South Windsor
    ph: 02 4577 4386

Mobile Pre-Schools (Community Managed)

For the remote and more isolated regions of the Hawkesbury, several
    mobile pre-school sites have been developed.
    These services offer the traditional pre-school program and provide the
    integration with other children that is vital for the development of all
    children.
    The two mobile services are offered by:
    *** Colo Wilderness Mobile Resource Unit - 02 4573 1166.
    Venues at Colo Heights, Blaxland Ridge, Bilpin, Bowen
    Mountain.
    *** Forgotten Valley Mobile Resource Unit - 02 4566 4328.

Is that info helpful?

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hey Cailin - has Paris started 3 yo yet ?

We had a 45 minute session last week, mainly to fill out forms, and this week it is 2 hours. Caitlin told the kinda teachers she did not want to go home last week. Made me feel really good !

barb.

Yeah she did silly me forgot to post about it! At home she started to get a little funny with the whole idea. Told me that if I didn't come and stay with her she would cry, broke my heart. But when we got there she went straight to the playdoh, I told her I would be back after story (they tell us to say that coz they don't have concept of time, but can realise that when its storytime mum will be here soon).

Anyway she had a ball! Loved it. I was so glad.

Glad to hear caitlin had a ball.

Here's to a new year at 3yo Kinder \/

*hugs*
    Cailin

Fire Fly Guest

Thankyou so much Cailin for that info. I got all i needed. Your a sweetie thanks.
    It was good to hear that Paris had a good time at kindy. Im definately going to aim for Claire to go next year now.
    Im going to ring the mobile one and have a chat.

Thanks again

sfischer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dachlostar
    re- the steiner system I grew up near one and quite a few of my friends attended it. Over time more of the kids that went to the steiner school seemed to get involved with drugs and crime than the ones that went to other schools. I geuss that there are other factors at play than the schools we all attendeed but I personally would send my children to a school that emphasised thier responsibilties towards others a little more. Maybe it was just the school and not the system but personally I'm a little wary of steiner however in the long run raising our children is our responsibilty not the teacher's responsibility so we can't really expect a school to install morals that we don't adhere to at home.
    I hope I haven't offended any steiner fans but I thought that I would put my two cents in.
    You are absolutely right: if you don't live some of the Steiner philosphy at home than your children shouldn't go to a Steiner school. It's not just a private school that teaches them a certain lifestyle, it enhances what you as parents already teach them at home. As far as your experience with drugs and crime are concerned I am sorry to hear that you seem to experience that with people who went to a Steiner school. All I can say is that nobody is perfect and surely there will be some 'bad apples' in every crop.

However, overall the Steiner schools are an excellent choice, provided you remember what I said to begin with. I went to a Steiner Kindergarten, then years 1, 2 and 8 because we lived away from Steiner schools at the other times. Yet, those three years of school were better for me than any other schooling I had.

My daughter is going to a Steiner playgroup in a large Steiner school and all the children there are well behaved, respectful and friendly. Very unlike some of the children I see at my local playground, who fight, argue, hit etc. But as I said before, if you start at home, teach them love and respect for others then it's the right place for them.

All the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast