Thread: Overwhelmed-Primary schools in Frankston area??

Default Overwhelmed-Primary schools in Frankston area??

Hi,

I would really appreciate some input from mums inthe Frankston/Karingal area who have school aged children.

My son is due to start Prep next year and I am overwhelmed with the decision of selecting the most appropriate school for him.

I live near Karingal heights primary and Karingal primary. There is also St John's catholic primary which I am considering despite my son not baptised catholic. (I'm non practising) And finally Flinders Christian College which is a prep to 12 college.

If anyone's child attends any of these schools, or has in the past, I would love to hear your thoughts on your satisfaction/dissatisfaction with them.

Look forward to hearing from you!

Not a fan of the Karingal ones (as a teacher myself I would avoid them for my kids), have heard great things about Flinders and have a friend who teaches there, also my neighbours boy goes there and they are teachers so were very fussy about which school they picked....Don't know anything about ST. Johns....hope that helps!

Red face kids reflect the quality of the school.

Hi,
    My kids go to St.Johns Karingal. I have had uneventful experiences with a large Primary school in Langwarrin and Frankston East Primary. I have one child who is an excelled learner and the other who has learning difficulties....it was hard to find somewhere that would suit both! I am not Catholic, but my kids attend St.Johns. It has been the best decision ever. It is a small school, very family friendly and the teachers and Principle know everyones name and their individual needs. My daughter was baptised through the school (her choice) but there are children who are not. I stumble on some of the questions my kids have regarding religion, however I am grateful that there is a strong focus on caring for others, having respect for others, and forgiveness. I am very proud to say, my kids have lovely manners and morals both at home and shcool.

Lastly....my suggestion to you when looking for an appropriate school for your child, visit before school and particularly home time, take note of the children and the parents...happy, friendly kids can be a reflection on the school! ....How are they behaving? Neatly dressed (not scruffy), can give an onlooker a clue of the respect instilled in the children.

Hope this helps.

Hi there,
    Our eldest is at St John's and is very happy there, made some wonderful friends and doing very well. We have met some fantastic families who also speak highly of the school. We are Catholic however there are many who are not and this has not been a problem. The school has high standards in all areas of education and yes the presentation of students is no exception so I would also encourage you to see for yourself. It is worthwhile contacting the school for a tour. The Principal Mr Paul Hartin is a lovely man who incredibly knows all the students' names and has a fantastic rapport with the children. If you decide you would like to enrol your child I would do it soon as prep numbers fill quickly. Our second is enrolled for next year and then we have a third going the year after.
    Good Luck

Hi
    Thanks for sharing your opinions with me regarding selecting a good primary school.
    I went and checked out St John's Primary ,Frankston, and was very taken with the school and the principal. It seems like a wonderful school with everything I could hope for! Have enrolled my son for next year and have been told my enrolment has been accepted! I am very relieved and excited to have found a great school for my son!
    salboo

So glad to hear you like St John's and enrolled there for next year. Also your son will benefit from the new hall which will soon be under construction. Have a great year and will see you in Prep 2010!!

Unhappy school troubles

Hi everyone,
    I currently have my 5 year old enrolled in Kingsley Park Frankston. He has almost completed grade prep here, but unfortunatly we have been less than satisfied with the school.
    My son has sensory defensiveness, only diagnosed 2 months ago. The school have shown no interest or support in the diagnoses and have basically shrugged it off, preferring to send him to the office rather than recognize the symptoms and implement strategies. Among other things, it seems the teacher just doesnt like my son, which is a shame as prep should be a wonderful exciting year.
    So after a number of incidences which I have felt very let down by the school from, I am wanting to change his school.
    I live in the frankston/karingal area, however do not want to enrol him in any of the karingal schools.
    I was thinking more along the lines of st augustines? Have also looked into steiner, but afraid he wont "fit in" there.
    Does anyone have any personal stories of some great schools that would be willing to assist in mild special needs and sometimes challenging behaviour?
    I am getting quite concerned as he is a lovely boy, just has difficulty socially and emotionally sometimes. I really want to give him the best education I can. But dont want to move him to a school that could be potentially worse than where he is already at.
    Thanks in advance

Smile St Johns ALL THE WAY!!

Hi,
    Like me, you need a school to suit your child. Some parents are lucky to have the type of kids that can go anywhere. As a mother of children with Tourette Syndrome and ADHD (and the various social, behavioural, emotional and learning issues involved), I encourage you to find a school willing to cater to your sons requirements. I have moved my children to St. Johns.
    I am an absolute fan of St Johns in Karingal (Frankston East). I praise everybody involved in the education of my children at this school. The teachers are all approachable, understanding and empathetic. Every concern I have had has been followed through. The staff are all very nurturing and seem to genuinly love their jobs. I have never had a negative comment from my kids since being at this school. A nurturing principle who knows every parent by name is always up to date with my kids progress. And he is very supportive with home issues also. My children have individual education plans, and I meet regularly with the teacher, principle and welfare officer to discuss my childs progress and concerns.
    I am not Catholic, this was not an issue when I had the initial interview with the Principal. And the school had already put a plan in place before my daughter began at the school.
    I say St John is the place to go.

Hi girls

I just have to say i was interested in what you had to say about schools in the area. Although my DS is no where near going to PS yet i have been stuggling to find somewhere i would like to send him. I work in a PS in the area (none that you have mentioned ) and i too would like to ensure he goes somewhere he will learn good philosophiles for life. Aside from sending him where i work i hadn't found somewhere i'd even like to go have a tour of as yet. I live in walking distance from Langwarrin Park PS and to me it seems so big and i am scared he'd just get lost in the crowd there. Having said that i am used to little schools as where i work has appox 300 students. This is where the decisions we start making for our children get really difficult isn't it!?

I'm so glad to hear that you have been able to find a school that nurtures your children and provides them with a place where they are able to learn in a warm and caring environment. I actually wasn't aware that St Johns was primary as well, i was under the impression it was secondary only. Are we talking about the one near Beach St & Skye Rd??

hey, thanks for the prompt reply!! as you would all be aware, its quite nerve racking making such big decisions! and being a single mum, i pretty much make this decisions alone. St Johns sounds really promising. I actually have been in contact with both st johns and st augustines to make interview times.
    I guess I will just go and inform both schools of my sons needs and concerns and go from there. Am really looking forward to looking at st johns.
    thanks heaps.. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

sam

Default st johns location

St Johns is in Jayne Street Frankston East (Karingal) and is only a Primary school. There is a secondary school a few blocks away (near Skye Road) calle John Paul Colloge, this is the feeder school for St Johns.

Ohh ok that's the one i'm thinking of, not sure that i'd heard of St Johns then. Thanks for you help