Thread: Too far to travel for a preppie?

Question Too far to travel for a preppie?

How far is too far?

The school I would really like to send Milo to would mean a 40 minute bus ride each way, and while for an older kid it might be OK, I don't know that it'd be the same for a prep child?

Some nights MIL would be able to pick him up from school, which is only 15 minutes away, but he'd be travelling the 40 minutes in the morning regardless.

I'm hoping in the meantime that we'll either move closer to the school (my preferred option as I like the area) or find another one that we like and can afford.

Will the school take Milo with living 40mins away ?

I found it so hard to get Kimberley into a kindy because we only have a couple of primary schools by us and the one we moved away from is only 10mins in the car and they said no because we moved out of the area and that is even with her having a place to go there. I know some schools do take them out of the area as i was able to find a couple that does.

ETA: If you like the school and they take Milo then send him.

Ray, Lindsay travels on the bus to school for 2 hours each day for a round trip to and from school. We only live 1/2 hour away but because of the bus run, he is the first on and last off. There is nothing we can do about it either, short of driving him ourselves.

At the start of the year, he would fall asleep on the way home and I would have to wake him up to get hom off the bus, but by the end of the first term, he wasn't doing that as often. It was hard at first, especially when kids in town have the luxury of an extra hour or so in bed before they have to get up for school, and he has to get up at 6.45 but he is coping fine.

Michelle,

Yes, its a private school, although currently it is getting very popular, which Is why I am thinking that I would have to apply early -- if he was starting school this year it wouldn't be a problem, but theyre getting increasing applications each year.

I spoke to DH last night about moving closer, but I think he likes where we are now. Oh well, a few years yet to work on him.

If I could find a public school I liked in our general area that I could get him into on a quota then that may be an option, but the one we are zoned to at present is out of the question. Theres another private school that is closer, but its $7K for prep compared to $1K for the other one.

Theres also a Lutheran school near us where he could go. I was brought up Catholic, and DH was brought up an aethiest, so none of the Catholic schools would take him, as neither Milo or DH are Christened, where this school would, and its nice and small.

Hmmm... all these decisions....

Just on a side note, the catholic schools will take him they have a certain amount of children that are non catholic (they have to by law I think) if you can't get into the school you want to or think its too far away then maybe consider that. And if I were you I'd put his name down at a whole heap of schools even the one 40 mins away do it now, get it out of the way and keep a record of who you've applied with and then when it gets closer to the date you can cancel the ones you don't want At least you've got backup then. I've heard really good things about lutheran schools, although I don't know the one in your area it may be different.

*hugs*
    Cailin

" I was brought up Catholic, and DH was brought up an aethiest, so none of the Catholic schools would take him, "
    I work in a Catholic school and this is not entirely true - but is a little. Catholic schools have to meet a certain quota from their Diocesan office of at least 75% of the students being Catholic. One of the criteria's on enrolling your child is that they are Catholic and/or will live in a Christian manner. If there are not enough Catholic children they will enrol non-catholic children. If your first child is enrolled the schools will automatically accept all your other children - whether or not they are christened. They do not have to enrol your child but do on occasion.
    Good luck!

Is it a school run bus or a regular bus ? I would be a bit reluctant to put a five/six year old on a bus without an adult.

Back in the 70's .... my brother and I used to catch the bus to school when I was in prep and he was in grade one. We must have been the only school kids on it because if we forgot to pull the cord it went past our stop.

Barb, its a school run bus not a public one. I don't think I'd consider it otherwise.

Renee and Cailin, thats good to hear.
    There are waiting list at mnost of the non-goverment schools in my area. The Catholic school that we are zoned to being one of them. My cousin has sent in the enrolment forms for her daighter, and she was told that her husband would have to be Baptised too, as their policy is that both parents and the child need to be Baptised?
    I do understand what you're saying though, maybe there is a lot more demand for places at Catholic schools in my area? Another cousin (and a different school, but same area) was told that they were 'toward the end of the list' of preferred students for prep because they don't attend Church on a regular basis...she did end up going there.

kerry Guest

Rayray I knoe Manorvale is not zoned, there is word that Cambridge (F's school) is coming off zoning and you could scam zoning for thomas carr (wouldn't bother) or Iramoo with relos... don't forget that option.

In recent highschool dux results most kids are coming from iramoo, cambridge, manorvale and derimut heath (definately anti d/heath) so there are some options.

kerry Guest

Oh and re catholic schools in our area.... I go to church most sundays and because xp isn't baptised AND I am a single mum I might find it hard according to the priests.. basically B would be low on the list..... due to the young popluation in our area most schools are zoned, and places in catholic schools can be super hard to get (even catholic schools are zoned) that said corpus christi (if interested) might be your best option as its an older area and even when we were in high school they were struggling for numbers.

kerry Guest

Rayray - school run busses in Vic require a full police check for all staff, the school you are thinking of has a buddy program for the littlies (from the kids across the road from mick)... hell rex and I walked to school alone from when I was in grade one and we had to go under the underpass, under the dero bridge and passed the scummy flats... we didn't turn out too bad so don't stress, make a judgment on Milo, if he is confident enough to do the trip I say go for it... How would it work during first term where the prepies have reduced hours??

Honestly it depends on the child if they are too young. Fostering independence can be a good thing to do too. Alternatively you could give it a try and if it doesn't work for Milo change schools... honestly it wouldn't take more than a term to find a closer one.
    Last edited by kerry; December 4th, 2006 at 03:08 PM.

DH & I both work full time. I would not be able to drive him there in my current job. Ideally I would like to move to the area, but DH doesn't want to.
    Jo - Thomas Carr is Catholic though. I might have a chat to Fa's neighbours about BMG.

Hi Rayray,
    I had heard that st andrews is wonderful. It has a country feel and is wynhamvale. they also have before and after care. I'm a single mum and wasnt catholic (neither were my children) until about 6 months ago. I had no trouble at all enrolling them in catholic school. In hindsight i totally chose the wrong area hence why mine are starting new school next year at st marys in altona. I wouldnt recommend the lutheran school in hoppers.I personally didnt like there philosophies. But it is personal. I am trying to not offend anyone;so apologies if i have. So you need to do careful exploration. so where are you looking at sending him?

Pauline

Hi Pauline,

I went to St. Andrews , but we are closer to Bethany, which would not be my first choice, and we would not be theirs
    I would really like to send him to Bacchus Marsh Grammar, unless we can manage to afford to send him to Westbourne.
    Otherwise there are a couple of Government schools I don't mind.

Hi Ray,Ray,
    Bethany does look nice but it is very big. If it wasnt for the fact that i/we are now catholic i'd probably be hesitant to send a child through the catholic system. Ny oldest is in grade 4 next year and i'm still yet to be impressed. They seem to have a very complacent system that deals with school bullying and from my own experience contacting the catholic education office was a waste of time. Yes i also agree that westbourne is a great school. Pricey but worth it. Not affordable for me. Geelong Grammar is also great and in the same price brackett and time travel.I have friends who send their kids to mowbray and are very very happy with it. its alittle cheaper but about the same time travel.As for Baccus Marsh Grammar i hadent heard of it. I do know Baccus Marsh but odly i cant recall seeing a school.
    Looking foward to hearing how you get on?When is milo due to start school?I have already decided if and when i ever get pregnant that i will definately go back to steiner at footscray city. I adored it. Very alternative teaching;right up my aisle..lol
    Take care of you and yours
    Pauline

hee hee, Milo is only 1 ATM
    So am thinking very far ahead, but I think for the bigger private schools you have to.
    I like the idea of prep -yr12 schools too.

Geelong Grammar is about $2k more expensive that Westbourne for prep, but is a more exclusive school I guess, a bit more in the realm of Melbourne Grammar.

BMG I like becuase its smaller than most private schools.

I think I will just enrol/wait list him at a few of the bigger schools, that way its an option when the time comes.

Hey Rayray,
    Its good that he is so little it gives you plenty of thinking time.It isnt unusual to have a few years wait list at the popular schools. I recall when we left the steiner school in footscray the school had made a point of telling any of us that were soon to deliver babies to get them on the list as it was 5 years. We couldnt believe it?Not sure how it is now as that was in 03. Just shows how things can change though. All you would need is a fantastic huge housing estate to go up at bmp and they may have a sudden increase in numbers. Anyway by then you maybe living their yourself so the whole bus thing may not be an issue. Looking foward to hear how you are going and what you find out over the next 5 years in regards to school and education. You can always look at home schooling... It has crossed my mind many a time.
    Pauline