Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: VIC school age being lowered to 4.5yrs

How well do they check, do you you provide birth certificates etc?

Just wondering, cos I have just found out that a colleague had his birthdate altered by his parents (by 6 months) so that they could send him to school early (this was not here is Australia).

I back Julie Bishop on this initiative! Thank goodness someone is actually considering our children's development rather than the individuals states own agendas. (My fear is that each state has its own 'educational agenda' based on finance, classroom capacity etc -rather than our childrens educational / developmental needs).

We live in Qld and I don't like the new prep system which will not allow my child to attend school until 2009 - when she will be 5 and a half years old!

If only they could make it happen sooner! Think of the children that will fall into the gap because the individual state education departments are too proud of 'their system' to initiate change. (Unfortunately, my daughter may be one of them).

Victorian Education Minister Lynne Kosky, is honorable for being open minded. Tsk, Tsk and disgrace on any others Education Ministers who put their own agenda before our childrens!

I am rapt that Milo will be just over 5 when he starts school. Infact we planned it so that he born would be in the second half of the year partly for that reason.

I missed out on starting at 4.5 as I was 8 days after the cut off, and while I could have easily done th work in the year above, I think socially it was a potential disaster.

when is the NSW cut off? 31/7?

I think ours is 30/4. when I was at school it was 30/6 but they changed it.

kerry Guest

because of high demand and all the kids in our area some schools have lowered the age cut off as well as having zoning.

The catholic schools have a cut off of 31/3 (although one has 31/1) and some of the state schools have a cut off of 31/3 also.

I was disapointed that Allanah couldn't go off to Preschool this year with her little friends since they introduced the prep year. I just felt that she was so ready to go, socialy, intellectually. However I have to say I really like the fact now that she will 5 1/2 when she starts prep next year and 18 when she finishes. Oh on the phone will finish this later.

EDT: oopps nearly 24 hrs later....where was I ahhhh yes ok...
    I really don't think age has much to do with it with how well they will do at school but it does affect things on a social level but not til later, like grade 12. I think it is an individual thing different children develop at different rates. My older two are september babies and are one of the younger ones in there grade, they don't do to badly at school, actually Makayla is, in her Teacher's words, "One smart cookie!" She has a real competative streak that drives her to succeed. Brianna who I believe is just a smart, doesn't do to badly but she bucks the system and doesn't comform. School was not made for her, lol. She's not 'go to the principle naughty' but she's always questioning, why, whereas Kay conforms and just does it, no questions asked. they will have just turned 17 when they graduate so for the year following graduation they will have to sit back and wait to join in on all the adult stuff. (not that that stopped me, lol) My nephew is doing really well at school and sport he is a Christmas day baby so he will be 16 when he finishes school, he will turn 17 Christmas day and his best friend will turn 18 on the 2nd of January.
    My two younger girls will finish school at 18 and be one of the older ones in their grade even though they are Oct and Nov babies and Nathan can actually go to school the year after Melissa. He made it in by 11 days. I don't know whether we will hold him back or not I suppose it will depend on his readiness. However I don't know, I think because he is a boy (my sexist issue) I would have preferred he went to school as one of the older ones as socially being a year younger then the girls can put a dampener on things growing up. I don't know,it's a while away.
    Last edited by Coolabahdee; April 12th, 2007 at 09:01 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123