Thread: want some advice about schools in SA suberb

Default want some advice about schools in SA suberb

Hi there

We are thinking of moving and are currently looking at schools trying to figure out if it is going to be a beneficial move for our 5 yr old son, I was wanting any advice on schools both public and private in the area of Magill in Adelaide,

I have looked at the Magill primary school and it looks quite good but not having known people who have had direct contact with the school it is hard to tell if it is a good school IUKWIM I would love to hear from anyone who has either sent their children or knows of children that go there and how they are going

What are thir attitudes like?
    Are they respectful young people ?
    Are they having any difficulties making friends?

That sort of thing.

Thank you in advance I really appreciate any advice you can give.

Amy

It has been a while since I was at Magil but I did my prac there in 2000 for my Early Childhood Degree so I only sent time in the Junior school. I loved it! All the staff were so suportive and really went all out for the kids. The facilities there were great and all the kids seemed happy.

I recommend you go to the school during school hours and take a tour then if the school will let you.

Good luck!

Thankyou Kelly,
    I appreciate your reply, and will look in to it, I read through their web page and I agree with what you have said they seem very supportive of the children and seem to teach children in a way that helps them to excell at what they are best at, I love their music programe too.

Thanks again :flower:

thought I might bump this up and see if anyone else has anything to add about Magill Primary school
    TIA Amy

Amy, I am really sorry, I have only just come across this post......so I hope my contibution is useful, even though it is a month late!!

We live in Rostrevor (on the Morialta/Magill side), and have specifically moved to this area for school zones. Not an issue for primary, but down the track we would like to be in the Morialta high school zone.

As such we have checked out the local primary schools and taken advice from all the locals, including my best firend who is Olivia's godfather who has his 2 boys at primary school........

For us it is a choice between Magill or Stradbroke. Both seem to have fantastic community/pastoral care, have the right "feel" for us as a family, with very supportive staff and really encouraging policies.

The downside for me with Magill is it's postion....mad, I know, but it is a busy bit of road.

The plus side for Stradbroke is that it is an IB (International Baccalaureate) school, as well as having a very strong committment to environmental issues, both of which imprtant for me and DH. I love the schools feel, it is wonderful.

HTH.........

HRising Guest

Hi
    Great thread!
    My wife and I are moving to the Adelaide region (from London) and intend to live inthe best place for our 6 month old daughter. We are looking at support groups, education, etc and to be honest being foreign we havent got a clue.
    Any advice here gratefully revcieved!

HRising.....I find the whole of Adelaide, in general, great for families, so you can't go wrong really.

I have a 2.5 year old and a 1 year old and another on the way, and live in the eastern suburbs of Adelaide (Rostrevor, Magill, Burnside type of area.) We made the choice to live in this neck of the woods from a public schools/environmental/parks/community facilities perspective.....but it is still only 20 mins from the city.......it is a mish mash of different cultures (a lot of Italians and Greeks) and styles of housing (very new to very old, with a lot of 1960's) with a green leafy feel (on the edge of the Hills).........

In terms of pre-school/childcare options, my children go to a local ABC Centre in Magill (you will find very mixed opinions on these centres from parents and in the press....I love the one we use, but I think it really varies dependant on staff in local centres). My daughter goes 2 days a week, and my son 1 day a week. There is a great deal of choice in terms of child-care in this area, with plenty of available places (for part-time at any rate).

All that said, there are lots and lots of other areas of Adelaide that are equally appropriate for families.......you'll be spoilt for choice!!
    Last edited by Lucy; July 24th, 2006 at 11:21 AM.

hi Lucy I just saw this LOL now who is late hey, well we now live in Magill and love it and Peoter goes to Magill primary school and we love that also but deffinately agree with you on the whole position thing I hate how it is on the corner of 2 very major roads and tehre is absolutely no parking I usually park at the hotel on the corner as do alot of parents, I thought about Stradbroke too as I have heard alot of great things about it also but decided on Magill mainly becaise it was so close to our home and we were able to walk when it was nice weather etc...
    it is such a hard choice when your babies grow up and you have to start thinking about schooling and you really do have to start thinking about it quite early as you can miss out I am not so sure about that with public as from what I was told if you live in the zone for that particular school you will not be knowcked back.
    I went to Urrbrae Agricultural High School so I think our children will go there as it is not to far away and there are plent of busses etc but Norwood Marialta is suposed to be a fantastic school and by the time our kids are grown that might be where they choose to go as I am assuming that alot of the Magill primary student go on to do thier high schooling there.

Hi Hugh I posted to you in the other thread about this already so hope I have helped feel free to ask questions all you like it must be a little daunting coming to a city that you vertually know nothing about.