Thread: What do I ask??

Fire Fly Guest

Default What do I ask??

My first born DD is starting school next year...yes im asking early. I need to know what i should ask at the interviews for the schools im considering. As we are going to be out of area enrollers i want to do it pretty soon to guarantee a spot.
    I know at the top of the list is 'what are there bullying policy', are the kindys chucked in with the rest of the school or are they seperated till they get to know there way around. Ummm ok, what else do i ask. Please help. This is obviously all new to me and as we have 3 kids i dont want to stuff it up them.

Thanks....

....here are some more......

Do they have a eating policy - some schools keep the kids in the classroom to eat before play.

What enrichment programs does the school have as standard? (ie. Music, language, Art)

What is the school's policy re: illness/injury etc (if your kid becomes sick or suffers and injury at school).

Do they have any specific school focuses (environmental, academic excellence, sister schools etc).

Do they have 'buddy' programs?

Technology?

Hope these help.......

also - if you are looking a private and public, most certainly ask....

What is the school's maximum class size (student:teacher ratio) (NT Public Schools is 27 students:1 teacher).

Gifted & Talented programs.....as well as Remedial programs

You could also ask:
    1. Homework policy - what is it and how does it effect your child each year?
    2. What extra-curricula activities to they provide?
    3. Is there an before/after school care program?
    4. What their mission statement is and how that will help your child

Fire Fly Guest

Gee thanks heaps ladies, never thought of those questions but they are obvioulsy very important ones. Hope they don't mind if i go in with a list of questions. Tuff i suppose if they do.
    Another thing is though is do i make an appointment or can we go to the P&C meetings to get the feel for things that way. Or are they specifically for parents that have children in school?. I dont like this not knowing stuff.
    Not that ive had a chance to look yet but does the net give you any info on school reputations and their way of teaching? I dont intend on useing the local school that is literally 1km down the road because i know my kids wont get the education they need for this day and age. I doubt they even have computers thats how backward it is.

Definitely make an appointment, as you will probably get a little tour as well. This often helps when making decisions, as you see the kids, and get a feel for the atmosphere of the school.

Fire Fly Guest

Thankyou, i will definately be writing these down and asking them. Youve both been a great help, thanks.

I was going to suggest going to a P&C meeting (literally short for parents and citizens). It would probably be best to contact the president or secretary (the school receptionist would be able to provide contact details) and explain who you are and ask if it would be OK.

Kerrie, check out your local school, don't rule it out with out seeing for yourself. Reason I say is Look at bilpin, has 111 kids & you would think would be pretty basic but it has a higher computer to child ratio then most schools, has smart boards & is even having a thing installed so they can do like confrence calls with NASA (for example).
    Tech wise is probably more advanced then any other public school in the hawkesbury.

I dunno if a P& C meeting will give you the answers your looking for. maybe, i guess each school will be different in waht goes on. But ours are more about fundraising etc.

eta- another thing that I think is worth considering when thinking of your school choice is numbers, how big is the school, not just the class DD will be in. Reason I sa is Evan is friends with alot of kids in his school, not just the kindy kids either. While out at the show on Friday, we had yr 6 kids coming up & saying hi to Evan. I thought that was great. The big kids really look out for the little ones. If we had to move I would do everything to make sure he stayed at this school. If not I would be looking for another that is just as small.
    Last edited by *Efjay*; April 15th, 2008 at 06:22 PM.

FJ - I only suggested the P&C meeting because I think it is important to get a feel for the other parents at the school and levels of participation and interaction between school and parents/community. how the P&C acts and what the school asks of it is generally a pretty good indication. It is also a way of meeting other parents at the school. But you are right - it isn't a formal way of learning about the school's policies on particular things or ratios or anything like that - it is a more a way of getting an overall feeling.

DH & I take turns going to the P&C meetings, I have been to 1 & he has been to 1, the last 1 was my turn but everyone was sick so didn't attend. I see what your saying.
    I think parent participation in very important so if its something that Kerrie also feels she will be in on, then yep, its probably a great idea to attend. Then you can also get involved with things like allocation of funds etc.

Fire Fly Guest

I think i may leave the P&C meetings till she attends school. Good points though TL, its not something to rule out but i think i may get to confused if i start attending them and doing interviews.
    FJ, i know from other parents in the district and pre-school teachers as well as other teachers that the local school is not even worth the time to go see. The school is way way to small and if it has any resemblance to the services they provide up here i seriously doubt that the school will be equiped with the latest gear kwim. Its not even on the list and never will be. I know what your saying though, but its not the same up here as it is there.

I didn't go to any of the schools I looked at for DD on an Open Day. I just lobbed in and asked to see the Principal, and got an impromtu tour each time.
    No one was on their best behaviour or doing extra tricks for the day (lol), so it was a good chance to see the everyday operations of the school.
    I ended up going with the school with the Principal that was obviously very approachable, the students clearly liked him and the school was on the small side.
    There was another close contender that impressed me as the kids spoke German even in science class, but it didn't seem as fun .

Fire Fly Guest

Well i suppose that would be good to do, just lob on in and see what sort of a welcome i get. At least then i wont be running late hey, Lol. Hmmm might go with that. Just had a thought though, I cant see DH wanting to do that though. Im getting him to take the day off and come with me and i know he wont be in that. Oh well never mind.

I reckon one of the best ways to see whether a school's any good, is the vibe you get when you walk in there. happy kids, happy teachers, positive, relaxed, caring etc. I'm in the business & think it's one of the best indicators. Ask all your questions and then Go with your gut . Good luck