Thread: What Would You Do?

Default What Would You Do?

Hi Girls

I`m not sure what to do with Matthew`s schooling.

My SIL`s children go to a Private School where they wear normal everyday clothes, they eat only healthy foods, they are into nature and family life in a big way, for school excursions they are often going overseas, interstate, such as next school term 4 of them are going to the Snowies for a week and the eldest is going to Alice Spring for 3 weeks. It`s only a small school where the children get individual attention, I think there`s only about 20 to a class. To get into the school the parents need to be interviewed and there are a number of questions we have to answer about the way Matthew has been brought up before they even think about accepting him. Children attending this school do not start until they are 6, which is fine by me.

My problem is: The school is 40 minutes away in peak hour, which school time would be peak hour, I`m not sure if I want to comit myself to 12 plus years of picking up and dropping off to school when it takes 40 minutes to get there.

Why I have brought this up now when Matthew`s only 14 months is because if I want him to go to this school we`d have to enrol him soon.

I just don`t know what to do, I`d love him to go to this school but the distance is putting me off. If he doesn`t go to this school, he`ll be going to our local public school and the bus picks him up from our door, I`m not saying there is anything wrong with public schools, afterall I went to both public primary and high schools and I think I`ve turned out okay

I`d love to hear your thoughts.

Take Care

Dee

I would definitely go through the process of enrollment at least. That way it is done and in the end you don't have to send him there if you don't wish too.

It is great that you have that sort of choice you can make. Although I personally wouldn't like the 40 min peak hour drive both ways either.

Go throigh the enrollment to cover yourself.

But bear in mind a lot of things can change from now until when he starts....you could move, the school could change its culture/philospophy, you could change your mind, your disposbable income may change up or down, the fees may change.

But if you are that keen, enroll him JIC?

I agree. Enroll him because it keeps your options open. You don't want to not do it and then 3 years from now change your mind.

A friend of mine enrolled her 3 month old son into a private highschool in Sydney last week and was put on the waiting list because they were already overbooked for 2018. I didn't realise that there were so many people that were that organised!

Thanks girls for your thoughts, I`ll enroll him or try to make an appointment for an interview as I said we have to be interviewed first before they accept Matthew.

OMG @ already being overbooked for 2018 :eek:

Your certainly right girls circumstances can change and atm being in this terrible drought we have no idea what`s around the corner if we don`t get any rain soon. I`d like to think we`ll still be here since Mark has been on this farm since he was 2 so your looking at 36 years being in one place.

I'd enroll him know and you can always change your mind. Remember too that if he goes to that school, his friends will more than likely live in that area and you will be the one who will be the taxi driver for visits etc, so 40 minutes a day each way for 5 days may blow out to more!

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Yep I'd go through with the enrolment too. And you were saying that you didn't want to commit to 12 years of driving Matthew to school and back, but if there was a bus he could take that when he was old enough, or do you not want him doing that? Maybe you could drive him part of the way and then the bus or maybe you could find a few other kids and carpool and then swap so no one mum is driving everyday? Just a suggestion

We moved across Melbourne to live closer to my DD's private school... that was nearly 3 years ago and has worked for us, it's also a fantastic school, she loves going to school every day... isn't keen on school holidays! She's able to walk to school now too.

We're a bit extreme when it comes to our children's education though.... my DH and i had bad experiences in the public system... we've spent a fortune but our DD is doing so well and has such a positive attitude to learning we're more than happy to make the sacrifices.

I'd enrol him too.

And I enquired about enrolling Alex and Ned at Melbourne Grammar and was told not to even bother, as if they're not sons of old boys then they won't get in! This was when Ned was TWO WEEKS OLD and they said he would be on the waiting list!

kerry Guest

Enrol in the private school, as everyone has said you can always just cancel the enrolment at the time if you decide to go for the public school.

If I had a boy I'd like him to go to Assumption... so he would want to hope he is a footy star or he wouldn't get in as they are like Melbourne Grammar... unless you snag a sport scholarship. Sad to say Divvy but I think in Melbourne if you are good enough at sport you'll get into any of the elite boys schools on full schoolarships with no problems, they even have scouts out looking at boys as young as 8 playing footy and cricket, the theory is, they show promise, make sure they get good grades then injury free and talent developing nicely, reasonable grades... the school doors fly open and in you fly on your full schoolarship magic carpet.

I wouldn't mind if B went to MacRobs, luckily that is based on passing an entrance exam and I have already put her name down.
    Last edited by kerry; December 4th, 2006 at 06:00 PM.

I would definately try to enrol in the private school. Sounds like a great school. You can always change your mind later and if you decide on the local public school instead, but if you leave ti too late you might not get a place for him.