Thread: When to enrol in prep (QLD) and how to go about it?

Question When to enrol in prep (QLD) and how to go about it?

Hi everyone,
    Talia turns 3 on saturday and everyone I know has started telling me to enroll her now for prep:eek: She will start prep in 2008.
    Is it too early or is it getting to late to enrol her? And how do you actually go about it? Are there any rules about what school your child must go to. I did hear somewhere that they were bringing in laws where your child had to go to the school that was zoned in your area IYKWIM. What should I look for if I can enrol her in a school of my choice. What should I watch out for? And what the heck happens if you move before they start?
    So many questions I know but answers would be greatly appreciated .

I "think" they are starting to enrol for 2008 prep now. I am planning on enrolling Matilda into 2 places, one the prep attached to where I want to send her to school and the other one in our neighbourhood. I meant to add that Matilda will be going in 2009 and I'm looking at the places now. One of the ones we were going to send her too, she is on the waiting list because they are already full for 2009... its hard figuring this out!!

This probably won't be too helpful Laura, but our school is advertising enrolment forms for Prep in 2007, have to be back at school by May 31. So it might be possible that applying for Prep for 2008 could be done soon.?

Edited to add: Laura If you google 'education qld' on their main page there will be a link for Prep 2007,(bottom right hand side) there is info for you to find a school in your area and to print out application forms, not sure if these will be forms for 2007 only or not? Hope this helps

Nic

It is helpful Laura! I hadn't thought of googling that.

Thanks Nic!! That was really helpful!! I usually google everything but didn't this time but glad you suggested it. Found out some really interesting things about the local schools which will be really helpful in choosing a school for Talia. I don't think I have to enrol her til beginning of next year so have some time to research and find the best for her. Once again THANKS HEAPS nic!!!

I don't think the schools in my area are enrolling for prep 2008 until early next year - currently they are just enrolling for 2007. I looked up the education qld website and it said if you are going to send your child to a state school, there will be no waiting lists for prep. I am not too worried - I am sure I will be able to get Harry into one of the two state schools in my area. I have only just put his name down for kindy next year!

glad it was helpful Laura I went through our school newletter and found the website, then googled it to make sure it could be easily found.

Nic

I found that page really interesting...Maddy doesn't go to Prep until 2011 as she is a December 05 baby but I was just looking at the list of schools that are offering prep. I hope a heck of a lot more around Brisbane are going to be adding Prep to their curriculum as only one of the primary schools I would have liked her to go to (MacGregor State) is offering Prep.

Forgot to add, Happy Birthday to Talia for tommorow. Hope she has a fantastic day

Nic

Smile

Thanks Nic for the well wishes for Talia!! 3 years have gone by too quick. Wish I could have another one but hubbys not ready. Ahh well will just enjoy Talia as she is growing too fast for me!!

:mad: Whats going on with my ticker!!! Its supposed to say she's 3 today!!! Grrrr!!!!

mmmm ok so just figured that 2 years 11 months 4 weeks and 1 day old is 3. pfft thats stupid!!!