Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sewing Machine

Default Sewing Machine

Its my birthday on Sunday and DH is going to buy me a sewing machine. We're going out Sunday morning for breakfast and then to get it. But i have no idea about sewing. I just want something simple, nothing fancy, but just something that will alow me to make a few things for Jesse. We're not looking at spending too much either. Am really keen to get into it and will get a friend to show me the basics, but is there anything in a sewing machine in particular we should look for? Is there anything i should try and avoid?

TIA!

I have a Brother sewing machine. It's a pretty fancy one ... but one of the features that I absolutely love on it, which I am sure would be available on the simpler models, is a super-easy automatic bobbin-threader. When I bought my machine (about 7 yrs ago), Brother had a patent pending on the design. You don't have to worry about winding down the needle halfway, pulling it back slightly, then trying to 'grab' the bobbin thread and pull back up through the hole IYKWIM.

We bought mine just after we got married. Don't use it much now, but I did sew a lot of my own clothing before I started working full time. The one thing I insisted I absolutely HAD to have was automatic button holes - were you put the button into a special foot, and the machine makes sure your button hole is the right size. Made a huge difference compared to my mother's old, old machine where you had to do the whole thing yourself. That's about the one thing I could really remember wanting.

BW

get one that has a one step button hole if you can.
    that is one thing I find a real pain on mine, I haven't got it and its hard to get them all exactly the same when you dont sew *all* the time

ETA: exactly like what BW is talking about, thats the feature i would get next time

Mine's a brother, too - I love it!

BW

i have a Janome catalouge and they range in price from $189 ( 51 stich function, 9 inbuilt stiches a 4 step button whole ) etc to computerised craft ones for over $1400..

i have no idea about hem.. i just the ctalogue in the mail and wanted to tell you!

I have a Janome one. My mum bought it for me from Myer! Its one of the more basic ones, but it has all the features I wanted. It also has some fancy shmancy stitches which are pretty cool. I dont know if it has the one step button holes though - I've never done a button hole with it!

COOL! Thanks ladies.. least that give me a little something to look for. Def will look for the button thing. So either the Janome or Brother ones look like the ones to go for. Cool cool.. thankyou!!!

Kellxx,

There will usually be sales around this time of year, cos of Mothers Day etc.
    I think both Brother and Janome have sales on at the moment

I am a janome fan. My hubby got me an overlocker and sewing machine for christmas. I think my sewing machine was about $400 but it was about the middle of the range. I think you can get cheaper janomes that have less types of stiches which sounds like what you may be after if you are just starting out. Good Luck Its good to see more people getting the sewing bug. I am the only one in my family and group of friends that owns a sewing machine and has any idea on how to use it.

What sewing machine did you end up buying Kelly?

Oh, and happy birthday for yesterday

Thanks Cherie

We ended up going to Target and they had a Modern Living brand one that was $300... when we were enquiring about it the lady stocking the shelves said to wait until Thursday as they are 66% off! (its in the catalogue this week for $99 save $200!) We then went to Myer who's cheapest was $219 which was the Janome. Being i just want it so i can sew a few little things im going to wait till Thursday and get the Modern Living branded one. 1, its cheaper and 2 it would probably have more things on it being it was originally $300. Will see how we go.. Jesse and i will be knocking the doors down at Target on thursday morning!

Wow Kell what a bargin. I got mine at Aldi! LOL its the same as the Home Maker brand that Kmart has. Exactly the same just different brand names on it.
    I want a overlocker now! I would love a wizbang fancy machine but for now the ol cheapo works fine.

I know! I might have to bombard some grannies Thursday morning.. i can see its going to be a rush like the Stella McCartney line.. lol.. well i hope not anyways!!
    Cant wait to get it. Yeh and like you Fiona.. it will do the job fine i think..

Kell, hows the sewing machine? lol i know it was quite a few mths ago now but i am just wondering how it is as i am after a beginner one also, either Janome or Brother, then i read your thread and the one you got sounds good....
    i want to start sewing cloth nappies, i am wondering if any beginners sewing machine would work? lol

Ren, in the long run my cheapo died in the arse after a few months. But I was probably working it a lot harder then the average beginner. If your wanting a machine to handle MCN materials start off with a good quality machine as the cheapo just couldn't handle it. I ended up getting a Pfaff Hobby & its doing well, I think I paid $330 for it from memory.

Thanks FionaJill... i'm looking at the Brother BM-2600... its on the brother website under sewing machines if you wanna check it out... RRP $349.00.... Seems like Brother is a popular brand.

Yes, I belive the Brother range is popular. But I will tell you what I was told when looking at machines. I orginally went in to buy a Singer. I had looked at teh Brother machine that Spotlight had on Special at the time & when the shop I was in also stocked them the owner (who just happened to be serving me) said that you need to be careful with the Brother machines because they are plastic inside. She said that the bits inside that make it all move up & down are plastic & prone to over heating. She still sells them but didn't recomend them for a machine that is going to get a good work out. She said they are good for those little repair jobs or taking up the hem on pants etc.
    I went with the Pfaff for 2 main reasons. 1 it was cheaper then the one I was wanting to get. I got the older model. A newer model has been released which is why the one I got was cheaper then the Singer I was looking at. And 2, the Pfaff had more clearence with the press foot. So you know when you lift the foot to place your material, the Pfaff can be lifted more, so its good for the thicker layers you tend to have when sewing MCN's.
    I would check out the Pfaff machines. They have been around almost as long as Singer has.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast