Thread: Sewing Question

Default Sewing Question

Ok, I think this is goin gto be a bit of a dumb question...

I need to make a seam on some material I bought today. Its a cotton knitt type material, um hang on I check what its called... Ok the tag says its Urban Needle Our interlock...

Anyway the material has some stretch to it, widthways, the seam will also run widthways. So should I use a zig zag stitch? I am using the material to make a wrap so it will have weight on it, which of course is going to make it stretch & I figure if I use a straight stitch it might pull it out of wack.

I am no wiz on the sewing machine, most of whatI do on it is just messing around with idea's not patterens are such so I don't have any idea of what kind of stich is best for what etc. I just havea pretty basic machine too.

Thanks if anyone can answer this for me.

Yep, definitely use a zig-zag stitch! Particularly if the seam will be going in the same direction as the stretch. Otherwise, you'll end up breaking the stitching and it won't hold. If your machine does it, for extra strength you can use a triple zig-zag stitch, but from memory, it's a bit less stretchy. It's been a while since I messed about with a sewing machine!

BW

Thanks for that BW, I thought I would be using a zig zag.

Yay, I just made me a hug a bub style wrap! looks great! can't wait to try it when isla is awake!