Thread: What I can I sew for bubs?

Default What I can I sew for bubs?

I was in spotlight yesterday drooling over their lovely selection of material, I really wanted to get some, but don't know what I would make with it. I have a sewing machine, or I can hand sew. Recently my projects (most of them are still yet to be completed!) have included pillowcases made from calico and have appliqued various patterns/designs onto them, or embroidering a pattern onto them and sewing mini bears, not really suitable for kids though. I do have the basics, but am not advanced and would probably struggle to make things like clothes, plus I would need to get patterns.

What are some simple, yet functional, things that I can make for our baby?

How about a taggie?

A small blanket, about 30cm x 30cm, and you sew different bits of ribbon around the outside edge, like tags onto one piece of the fabric, then once you have sewn all your tags on, sew a cover piece of fabric the same size to hide all of the ends

Simple, functional and you can use lots of different ribbons and some gorgeous materials!!

xxoo

Lightbulb

Hi there, what about babies bibs...there easy to sew,and they also cost a fortune these days for such a little item,you could make some lovely ones and hand embroider them.
    good luck,hun.

My first thought was a taggie too!

Are you going to use cloth nappies? What about some prefolds or boosters?

I can send you link to a pattern. Have made prefolds with pretty colours on one side and white flannel on other side with bamboo middle.

Some funky dribble/spew cloths. Tea-towel size that you can put over your shoulder when burping/comforting baby. Can do pretty colours.

ETA just notice you will have a Winter baby, You can get two pieces (same size) of funky flannel type material and make baby blankets. Sew the 2 pieces together inside out, leaving a gap so you can turn right side out again. iron flat, you can hand sew gap if you want, and then top stitch over top 1 cm from edge.
    Last edited by HotI; March 15th, 2009 at 06:12 PM.

I would second the cloth nappies. You can save heaps of money in the long run by using cloth and by making your own you can cut the cost. There are heaps of free patterns on the net. I am just starting on my own stash for bub number 2.

You could also make a few receiving blankets out of pretty much anything too.

You could make some sheets - there are lovely fabrics that would be great for sheeting - cottons and flannels. The flat ones are pretty simple, just hemming, the fitteds need elastic all the way round, which is realy just a wider hem with elastic threaded through - but a bit tricky working out the corners - someone here surely knows how to make them! Such a talented bunch.

Thanks everyone, great ideas! We are going to use cloth nappies, I have a few MCNs and have bought a couple of packs of bright terry cloth flat nappies, but sewing my own would surely save a heap of money considering how expensive they can be! Kate, would you mind sending me the link to the pattern? Can pm me or I can give you my email address. The bibs, burp cloths & winter blankets would also be great. Thanks again!

Kate, would you mind sending me the link to the pattern?
    Done! Let me know if you need more info