Thread: What sewing machine would u recommend??

Default What sewing machine would u recommend??

Ok i used to do design tech at school and was pretty good i guess... Made so many thinga but havent touched a machine for few yrs. I would like to get a machine (have an overlocker) But wondering what machine. Dont have a huge budget so something on the cheap side that you would recommend...

hiya!
    I have a Bernina "bernette" that my mum got me. She's a dressmaker from way back (and my grandparents both sewed, grandad was an upholsterer!) and she reckons Bernina are great. She's been using the same one for at least 25 years now, making clothes for her own shop and everything. Still going perfectly. She shopped around for mine, and even checked out eBay for an old one like hers, but they were still really exxy. Ended up finding the new one on sale at a small local sewing shop, but it was advertised thru the Bernina website. Looking at around $250, I'd say.
    HTH! I'm not an expert, but I like my machine.

Ive started sewing....i love it. I bought a Brother from Kmart for around $200 last year.
    Had no probs with it....easy to use.
    I recently did a dressmaking course at Spotlight and found they had a large selection of machines that were reasonably priced....maybe if you have one near you, you could check it out......
    Good luck......

Hey
    I dont do a lot of sewing but when i started got my machine for nix on freecycle, it is a janome 610 a late 1960s machine which does the basic stitches etc. All metal and mechanical. A total workhorse. I can do basic maintenance and have it serviced around annually. Totally perfect for my learning.
    in talking to my sewing machine service man who has been in the business of servicing and selling machines for approx 40 years he recommended strongly buying second hand to get a simpler easier to fix/service/ more durable machine. Early 1970s janome or bernina. If buying new, brother machines something like the n10 or the n30 - he said they come back very rarely with problems whereas he is finding most other brands especially janome coming back heaps with problems due to their having cheaper plastic parts. if you can hang out until mothers day before then is usually the best time to buy.
    good luck.
    Belinda.

Jess, bb77's right! Freecycle is a great option! And if you want something new, definitely wait till around mother's day. That's when I got mine. There's always sales for them then. Woulda remembered that last night, but you know how it is... mind fog!