Thread: 1984 by George Orwell - Book Review

Default 1984 by George Orwell - Book Review

This month the Platinum Book Club is reviewing 1984 by George Orwell

Portrays life in a future time when a totalitarian government watches over all citizens and directs all activities.

In a grim city and a terrifying country, where Big Brother is always Watching You and the Thought Police can practically read your mind, Winston is a man in grave danger for the simple reason that his memory still functions. He knows the Party's official image of the world is a fluid fiction. He knows the Party controls the people by feeding them lies and narrowing their imaginations through a process of bewilderment and brutalization that alienates each individual from his fellows and deprives him of every liberating human pursuit from reasoned inquiry to sexual passion. Drawn into a forbidden love affair, Winston finds the courage to join a secret revolutionary organization called The Brotherhood, dedicated to the destruction of the Party. Together with his beloved Julia, he hazards his life in a deadly match against the powers that be.
    How The Members Rated It - score out of 5

Astrolady - 0.5
    Tigergirl1980
    Nellbe -
    Sal -
    *Emma* -
    *TamaraSP* -
    Davesbubby -
    Sherieb -
    Hayseed - 2

If you wish to read the book, but are not a part of the Book Club please be warned that the following posts may contain spoilers for certain books.

Last edited by Astrolady; September 21st, 2006 at 07:55 AM.

Don't forget to rate your books girls.

I gave it 0.5 I could not get into it at all even though i did read it all. I think the best part was where he was being tortoured. I am just not into politics or anything else like that which is probably why it never really interested me.

Love

You're harsh Kathryn!! LOL.

I found it a bit hard going as well. I think that this is a "love it or hate it" kind of book. I'm glad I read it because it is a well known book and I never studied it at school. A lot of references in today's society made to Big Brother and Orwellism now makes a lot more sense to me. Whilst I can't see how the ending could have been any different, it left me feeling a little bit sad that it gave the impression that the "machine" really did control everything and one man was powerless to stop it and make a change.

I give it a 2