Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Autobiography Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by mummato1 View Post
    A piece of cake by Cupcake Brown
    That is a great story.

Angela's Ashes, and Tis, by Frank McCourt.

measure of a man- sydney portier
    Tweak- nick sheff (his father also wrote his version of events but havent read it yet)
    April fools day -bryce courtney, not an autobiography persay, but its about his sons life living with heamophillia (sp?)

i know i have more, will go through the bookshelf later

Oh, April Fool's Day was another awesome one, sad but totally involving.

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    I was going to write about Wild Swans - fantastic fantastic read. Although I'm not sure it's strictly a biography?
    I figure the depiction of her grandmother and mother's lives falls under biography and then the section on her own life is autobio.

I couldn't get into April Fool's Day- I don't think I like Courtney's writing style.

Also remembered:
    Escape- life living in a polygamist sect
    Bravo Two Zero- amazing story of an SAS guy being stranded behind enemy lines

Here is a few more..not all biographies, ture stories and all I could not put down.

Jesus Freaks- The true story of a boy by 'The Family/Children of God' and the son of the founder of these cult's.
    Love in the driest season - The true story of a Journalist and his efforts in adopting a baby from South Africa.
    It is no secret - The true story of a stolen child
    The Assasination of Marilyn Monroe
    Rosebud- George Orwell biography
    Dalaia lama my son- A mother's story
    Faithfull- Marianne Faithfull
    Robert Sykes - Snake Cradle, Snake Dancing, Snake Circle. It's a trilogy and is about Roberta Sykes, the first Aboriginal woman to graduate from Harvard.
    Aman

I love true stories!

Fantastic everyone. So happy to have this list. Heather72, I think you hit the nail on the head. I wasn't specifically after autobiographies but actually I should have said 'true stories' as this is what I love to get into.

Not sure what you're into - but I really enjoyed Life, Law & not enough shoes by Judith Fordham. She's was a single mum with 3 kids (i think) who decided to do a law degree and become a barrister. She is now one of the most reputable barristers in her field and now teaches in a WA University in forensic science (she had a science background also). Funny as hell.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12