Thread: Clara's War (about the holocaust)

Default Clara's War (about the holocaust)

I've just finished reading this book and I can highly recommend it. Its basically a diary that was kept by a Jewish teenage girl, as her family were hidden in a bunker during the war. I must warn you though, its very upsetting in parts, however I have found it to be very educational. I must admit I didnt know too much about the holocaust until I read this book and although its rather confronting in parts, i think its something that we should all know about, in the hope that nothing like this ever occurs again.

I haven't read this but remember reading a similar young adult novel when I was a teenager and it had a huge impact on me.

Have you read The Book Thief or The Diary of Anne Frank?

I was going to recommend 'The Book Thief' as well MD!

Another one is 'The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas' - I love this one (actually I loved both of them!)

I have a copy of both if anyone wants to borrow

I read Clara's War a few years ago. I really enjoyed it. From memory it was a book my niece had to read from school. While I liked The Diary of Anne Frank I did find it very hard to read.

I will look for the other books that have been recommended.

Yep I've read the diary of Anne Frank, another sad one

Quote Originally Posted by Hollybolly View Post
    I was going to recommend 'The Book Thief' as well MD!

Another one is 'The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas' - I love this one (actually I loved both of them!)
    Loved the Book Thief. Have recommended it to so many people!!

And The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas is so well-written and so sad. Very beautiful though.

Elli: Coming of Age in the Holocaust is another brilliant Holocaust story. Well brilliant in contect IYKWIM. Argh
    It is written by her, twenty years later or something but she was thirteen or so at the time. I bawled my eyes out when I read it. I had to study it in year 11 and we also saw The Pianist which was a amazing (long) film.

One of my favourite books about the holocaust is a book about girls from a very religious background, who were all deported to Auschwitz... It is the story of all the positive acts of kindness they did for other people in the camps to keep their spirits up and alive.

I guess after hearing so many stories, many first hand from survivors, and my families history, which is so tragic, i liked this book as it gave me hope that although man did this to man, other people can also be better IYKWIM?