Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Chatter

Default The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time - Chatter

To Discuss a chapter you are currently reading please use large font in bold writing so those that are not up to that chapter can skim past your post. If you are replying to someone else about a certain chapter please do the same

At the end of the reading period (roughly 3 weeks) Please use THIS THREAD to post your review on the book as a whole and to give it a rating out of 5

ie CHAPTER 1

Love

katanya Guest

CHAPTER 2- 47

I read the other posts are we going to discuss it a little, I am up to chapter 47..page 33 and although my week hasn't allowed me to read much I must say that I am been enjoying it so far..the puzzles are going over my head, but the depiction of a person with Aspergers syndrom is very acturate (from what I have observed and read cases studies of) I work with people with Autism and I find myself nodding in agreeance...

I particulary found the way he and his father show affection particularly heartwarming..they connect their finger and thum as he don't like hugs and Christopher knows this means his father loves him..

Anyhow I think it will be a book I will enjoy..now to get more time to read!!

CHAPTER 2-47

Yep definitely discussing it here Katanya. I was just waiting for someone else to start as I have read it all ready LMAO. I thought it was interesting how he makes reference to things like Sherlock Holmes etc I thought the alphabet thing was interesting where he discovers that Jesus Christ, Scooby Doo etc all ended up as being prime numbers. My name isn't a prime number though I worked it out LOL

I also like how he had listed everything that was in his pocket and they did a diagram of what the wooden block looked liked.

Love

katanya Guest

Chapters 2-47

I though the diagrams were interesting too, I guess perhaps that it is because people with Autism are very visual. The whole format of the book is so different and interesting..I'm hoping I can find some time to read this weekend..

I found the description of how he saw emotions and when a person blew out it could mean 3 things etc really facinating..imagine having to think about what degree a person was blowing out to work out whether they were angry upset etc..information we just take it for granted naturally

I laughed about the part when he hit the policeman when he tried to touch him, and then later when they were letting him go, they asked him"did you mean to hit the policeman?" and he replies "yes he was touching me" I just reminds me of clients I have worked with so much over the years..

I told DP he has to read this book, he has a client with fragile X syndrome , who is extremely literal as well. The young girl I work with on weekends (I ahve her every second weekend for respite) is classically Autistic, she is is also very literal, and mimic facial expressions, and if you say "Turn around, so I can fix your shirt" she'll spin on the spot..things like that.. she is non verbal though..

Anyhow it is 2.30am time I went back to bed..

Anyone else currently reading the book ???

Love

Ive actually finished reading the book while I was waiting for my kids to finish their music lessons. I found it a quick read and it certainly took an interesting perspective. I did find the ending however quite predictable.

Jo

katanya Guest

I managed to finish it the other night, I was a little shocked at the abrupt ending..I sort of feel the main magic of the book is the perspective into a person with aspergers head not the actual story, which was really sad..and yes predictable..was expected more of a mystery throughout but there was only 2 secrets..well 3

I did enjoy it though..

Its good to hear you girls say this...my close friend was getting worried about her little girl who lines everything up in certain colour or shape orders and is going to go have a test next month for it.

I just can't seem to get into the book, but I'm trying! I'm just finding it hard to read the very literal way that's it's written & am getting bored with it. I know it's done from the point of view of someone with Aspergers, but still I'm struggling.

Its funny because its really mathmatical and I think if you aren't a maths person, its not entertaining ykwim? I love maths and am finding the way he thinks to be fascinating, and not too unlike my thought processes 8-[

Sal Guest

hehe Christy, maybe that's why I enjoyed it so much! I enjoyed reading all his maths and science stuff, too.

Christy I had trouble too. Even though it didn't take long, I found that I had to force myself to sit down and read it.

I thought it was a book that I wouldn't be able to get into, but it proved me wrong although I could easily put it down if I had too as well, and it was easy enough to distract me from it not like other books where I don't see or hear anything else LOL.

Love

LOL as I was reading last night, it really got me thinking about brains and how the social aspect might be all that can define a person as having certain "disorders" I mean I always put things in maths, sometimes I read things & put it into numbers etc etc...

now Shannon this is getting scary... I count when I walk still 8-[ and I still count my breaths to sleep...

LOL another secret counter!!! I count things while in the car too!! Not the tyres but the lines in the road....

Hey girls

It is great & amusing to read your counting stories, but can we please get back to the book. Maybe one of you might like to create a thread in General Chatter. I am sure there are more than a couple of you that count stuff.

Thanks heaps.

Love

katanya Guest

I just wanted to add something about autism for all those with aspergers boaderline children and obsessive counters..that the head of my organisation (a wide regarded expert in children with ASD (autistic spectrum disorder)) says that we are all a bit Autistic, but the difference is when the behaviors interfeer with living your life normally, okay you might count obsessively, but if you need to stop to pay attention to traffic can you? My partner loves twirling objects (and autistic trait) and would have several "ticks in the boxes of Autitic traits, but I think you need 6 ticks to be considered Autistic..there are many people who have a disability in other areas who also display Autistic tendancies..but are not diagnosed Autistic.

I say this as when you read about Christopher, you can see how it interfers with "normal" life skills, like catching a train (still possible, but without training a real challenge) or eating (can't eat things with yellow or brown) Of course he has many areas where he is brilliant, eg maths, and many (not all) people with aspergers syndrome excell at a particular area, for one they have the ability to concentrate to the point where nothing else exsists, and there are also studies that indicate that a person with damaged frontal lobe regions may utilise other areas of the brain we "normal" people don't access. The classic "RainMan" autistic of being a "idiot savant" is actually misleading, because not all people with asperegers or Autism have gifts, some do, some have normal intellegence.
    I guess Autism and genius can be closely linked as the disorder is one of social and communication..but there are some famous people with Aspergers I'll bet you'dnever guess they were..like did you Robin Williams has Aspergers? Alot of people with aspergers have "trained themselves" on how to act in social situtions..hence Robin Williams is always acting when you see him in interview..he plays a role for the world..his private self is very different..

I

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast