Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite fantasy authors?

OMG - good omens as a movie! Robin Williams or Alan Rickman would work well as Aziraphale (only because Alan Rickman played such a good Metatron in Dogma) - but I could see Johnny Depp as Crowley - esp. if directed by Terry Gilliam. I only saw the first of the Pirates movies though so I am not so familiar with the character! I could also see John Leguziamo (sp) as Famine... please Mr Gilliam.

BW, I was the same with Harry Potter, and avoided it for years. When I finally caved I was hooked within a paragraph.

Have finally read the first 2 Harry Potters only as I picked them up for $1 each. DH and I prefer to see the movies first so we can just enjoy them and then read the books after.

Have to admit I have not read Tolkien, mainly to do with the people who loved Tolkien when I first heard about him (very long story, but I was really hurt), so I swore to not read him till I was at a point where I would not think of those people. I have been at that point for ages, but I just need the time and space to read.

I brought the first book in Robin Hobb's Soldier's Son Trilogy today.
    Can't wait to start reading it, as I've mentioned I've really loved all of her other trilogies.
    Will let you know if it's any good

..Laura

OMG!! I can;t believe Imissed this!!! I have a bokcase 9 feet high by 4.5 metres longs full to the brim with fantasy novels..pretty much all I read!!!

ATM loving my Ian Irvine, Robin hobbs, Sara Douglas and Fiona McIntosh series of books.
    And what a shame we will never find out how WOT ends since Robert Jordan carked it just before chrissy!!

Well... have just finished reading the two Jennifer Fallon trilogies I'd bought. The one that was written first is actually set at a time after the last of her trilogies. I've honestly got to say that it was a little disappointing as the characters you get to know so well in the Hythrun trilogy are very flat and one-dimensional in the Demon Child trilogy. But, I'm glad I read them in the order that I did, otherwise knowing where they all end up would seriously kill the ability to enjoy the Hythrun trilogy for me.

I'm know starting on Glenda Larke - still a bit early to know whether I really enjoy her style, but it's certainly something a little bit different, which is usually what I'm looking for when I pick up a new author.

As for Robert Jordan - AAAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!! I'm glad I stopped reading TWOT ages ago in order to wait for it to be complete and then start over. I guess now I just won't bother. Unless he's got enough notes left for someone else to be able to pick it up and finish it off for us.

BW

I read heaps of fantasy books when I was younger... somehow I got out of the habit of reading over the last decade or so. But, my favourite series was the eight-part 'Chronicles of the Cheysuli', by Jennifer Roberson. Mind you, that was a while ago.

In more recent years, the Pratchett books have been winners. Funny stuff.

I brought the first book in Robin Hobb's Soldier's Son Trilogy today.
    Can't wait to start reading it, as I've mentioned I've really loved all of her other trilogies.
    Will let you know if it's any good
    Well I am totally engrossed in my new book, I highly recommend you give it a go when you get a chance.
    I'm almost done with it, going out to buy book 2 today.

..Laura

Quote Originally Posted by Loqua View Post
    But, my favourite series was the eight-part 'Chronicles of the Cheysuli', by Jennifer Roberson. Mind you, that was a while ago.
    Ooh I started reading this series when I was 17, my then boyfriend was just starting to buy them. For the life of me I just could not remember the name of the series or the author, so now I know I can go out and find them.

Astrid, you're the first person I've come across who's even heard of the series! Probably sounds silly, but I was so chuffed to read your post.

I just finished "the confesor" by terry goodkind. Loved it.
    It is so sad to come to the end of a series. does anyone else get that empty feeling after coming to the end of a series?
    I must look back over this thread and find a new series to get started on.

Rufalina, I get very depressed at the end of a series. I just get so attached to the characters that I get really sad to know that I will spend no more time with them.

I've just been out feeding my book addiction before coming home from work today... Some good news - Isobelle Carmody has finally got her act together and finished book 5 of the Obernewtyn series. The bad news - There's going to be a book 6. It's only out (as far as I could see, anyway) in the giant paperback size - which I hate! I wait for them to come out in the proper sized paperbacks.

And another thing which may be worth nothing - Dymocks is currently having a 3 for the price of 2 deal on the books in the top 100 list. I just picked up all 5 books in the Belgariad (David Eddings), and grabbed The Magician (Feist) because it was free when I bought all the others and it was probably the one fantasy novel on the list that I didn't already own!

Still progressing with Glenda Larke, so no idea when I'll ever get around to starting on Feist, but I have to say that I'm really enjoying her work! Another Australian female fantasy author I can highly recommend.

BW

BIL bought me Armageddons Children (Terry Brooks) for Christmas and I just read it last weekend, its the first Terry Brooks that I've read and I loved it. Its the first book I've read in a while, and I raced out to buy the second book in the series yesterday. Its supposed to be a trilogy but so far I'm wondering how it will be wound up in only 3 books.

I noticed today at the airport that Feist has a new book out on his latest series.
    I hope it was lol, I didn't have a chance to stop and have a proper look.
    It should be book three, I can't think of the name off hand.
    have to add it to the list of things to read.

unfortunately for me I've started at Uni doing a Masters degree so reading has been limited to text books in the last couple weeks.

..Laura

edit: I had to google as it was driving me nuts that I couldn't remember the title. Its "Wrath of a Mad God" Book 3 of the Dark War Saga.
    Last edited by ll80; March 5th, 2008 at 06:23 PM.

Thanks for the update, I have been hanging out for that one!

After saying I haven't been reading much, I've just finished reading (in the last 3 days hehe) Winterbirth by Brain Ruckley.

It's a pretty good read, a bit slow going in the first 50 or so pages, alot of story setting up and religious dogma to get sorted but it really comes together in the end.
    Series is very promising and may even be as good as Fiest or George RR Martin. His writing style is very different to them both though.

Book 2 Bloodheir is out June/July so I am adding it on my list of things to read.

*Two Thumbs Up*

..Laura

Woweee - I just finished the Tawny Man trilogy by Robin Hobb!

Loved it every bit as much as The Liveship and The Farseer trilogies too. I'm a bit sad, I'm going to miss everybody.....

I felt exactly the same Lulu.
    Very sad to say good bye to them all.

I've started on Soldier Son Series by Hobb now though and that is just as good!

..Laura

I have just finished reading the Glory Isles trilogy by Glenda Larke - another great read.

I was about to say that it seems that I'm going to love every fantasy series written by a woman, but then I remembered the long hard slog through Cecilia Dart-Thornton's work, and ugh! Never again!

I'm about to start on the Trinity series from Fiona McIntosh - anyone else read it? I still have so many books here that I haven't read yet - So many books, so little time!

BW

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast