Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Favourite fantasy authors?

Chalalan Guest

Lulu, I've just finished re-reading the Farseer Assasin series & the Tawny Man series...I understand your sadness...I wish Robin Hobb would write a series about the Fool but then I guess I dont want to really want to know the enigma that is the fool. His / her unknowingness is what makes him so lovable & so interesting. It took me this second read to really understand Fitz's motivation in staying loyal to the Farseer throne - I always found his loyalty a weakness before but this time I got it.

I haven't been able to get through the second book of Hobb's Forrest Mage series though, too different and just not doing it for me.

I love the Magician too, but by the time I got through most of the series - Silverthorn, Darkness at Arathorn I was a bit over it. I then went onto the Daughter of the Empire series by Fiest and I can't remember who - and though it was good, its not a series that I will ever re-read.

I guess I'm not such a big fan of sci-fi either but there have been a couple that I have read recently that I have absolutely enjoyed. The Forever War by Joe Haldeman and Gateway by Frederick Pohl. I read them out of the blue without expectations and felt I had discovered something special so if you want to try something a little different then give these 2 a go.

My absolute favourites would have to be the 'Seventh Swordsman' series by Dave Duncan and 'Pawn's Dream' by Eric Nyland.

My hubby has some of the authors that others have recommended on the overflowing bookshelf - I would love a library - one day! and I guess now I have no excuse but to pick them up and have a read...

Butterfly, I could have written your first post myself! And I prefer trilogies over stand alones also.

Have to say, my all time fav author is Juliet Marillier and her Sevenwaters trilogy was her first and best work. The first book in that trilogy is Daughter of the Forest, and it is absolutely fantastic.

Also love Sara Douglass' Troy Game series

Yay for whole new worlds and a bit of magic

OMG LOVE Robin Hobb!! genius! liveships are my favourite trilogy, if i had to pick but poor fitz what a life of tragedy! love em all.

did you know that she writes under the name 'megan lindolm (sp)' as well. there are a few other books under this name that are really good too! :-)

i have tried to read the 'magician' a few times but just cant get into it properly.

Hollo it's well worth the effort of reading the magician.

Feist newest book has been released: Rides a Dread Legion

Hoping I find the time sometime this year to read it lol.

I have just finished the Eragon trilogy,. only to find, halfway through the last book, that is it now a series (4th book still being written). It is ok for a bunch of books written by a teenager... Christopher Paolini ...

I enjoyed Eragon and Eldest alot. I thought Brisingr was a bit.. fillerish? It kind of felt like he was adding in all these extra bits to extend the story somehow.

Loving this tread ladies. I have to get myself to a book shop quick!!!

Another author I would suggest is Ann Bishop. I'm pretty sure she's an Aussie, and fairly new to the fantasy writing, but she has 2 trilogies out (The worlds of the Fae and the Realms of the Blood), both EXCELLANT reads. I have read them both many times, and even knowing how it ends, I can't put them down.

Just subscribing because I am a fantasy nut and want to look at this thread properly before I next visit the library.

Can I put in a million votes for Sara Douglass? I've loved all her books, although the Timekeeper series was a bit creepy.

Currently re-reading the Magician series by Feist....how can you go past it, really?

Sara Douglass is amazing.

And yeah Timekeepers is kinda.. creepy hehe.

have you read her DarkGlass Mountain stuff?

Also if you like her, you might like Jennifer Fallon?

Oh I loved the darkglass mountain books, and thankfully Sara is finally in remission from her cancer, and might think about starting to write again some time soon, which might mean we can get the third book...

Im so glad to hear that! I'd been waiting to hear something from her. She's such a strong woman.

I had no idea she had cancer! Completely selfishly I am very glad she is in remission!

I've enjoyed the Darkglass Mountain books. I don'd mind having to wait for the next installment because each time a new one comes out I get to read the preceding books again to "refresh my memory"!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234