thread: Fifty Shades Series ** Spoilers Discussion Thread **

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

Fifty Shades Series ** Spoilers Discussion Thread **

Just thought i would start a discussion thread for those of us who have read the books and want to discuss a little more without ruining it for everyone else... so a warning that THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Fifty Shades of Grey - crappy writing but an intriguining storyline

Fifty Shades Darker - writing didn't get much better but i loved the twists & turns in the story - was getting a little bored with her 'inner goddess' and skipping most of the repetetive sex scenes

Fifty Shades Freed - LOVED the storylines but the end really annoyed me, it jumped from 1 moment in time past another important milestone to another important milestone then back again then STOPPED! So damn frustrating, i think it comes down to the crappy writing style more than anything else and that she was trying to mix it up a bit.
    I think it could have jumped to the birth, then explained a bit more THEN gone beyond that IYKWIM.

Personally i would buy & read a 4th book, if only to find out a little more, i quite like the characters and the sex scenes don't offend me at all.
    I think it is interesting to delve into the lifestyle of other characters, the emotions and curcumstances behind the way someone is the way they are.

I know there are people who think it is degrading, disgusting and horrible but i don't see it that way at all - i think it is quite an interetsing (albeit poorly written) read.

So was anyone else disappointed with the ending, what did or didn't work for you in any of the books?

Ohhh i also want to read more about Kate's bub too

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

I liked them, despite their obvious failings. I liked the BDSM aspect, it was pretty tame really, I never found it degrading, I mean, they're consenting adults, safe words were stressed and encouraged. Any time Ana didn't use it was because she was an idiot, not because she was forced. The sex scenes were okay but did get a bit repetitive. The end ****ed me off and I try not to think about it. The unnecessary csection (pitocin so sounds like a typical American induced birth), epi then 'emergency' csection because it was taking too long. Eh. And then Christian saying she almost died, and next time it's an elective and she doesn't get a say...didn't work with his character at all I thought. Surely a control freak like him would be as informed as possible, and know that first time induction and VBAC carry around the same risks. But like I said, I ignore that part

I'd totally read more of the books as long as the story line was solid enough. I'd hope by two kids they have sorted their insecurities and little tiffs about stupid things out though.

Can we talk about the possible movie here? I'd HATE Kirsten Stewart to be Ana! And some dummy buff guy for Christian. He needs intelligence in his face, in his eyes.

I'm surprised I ended up liking it the way I did. The writing was so, so bad. I've written smoother fan fiction. But the characters are what got me, even annoying Ana lol!

May 2010
    victoria

I liked them, despite their obvious failings. I liked the BDSM aspect, it was pretty tame really, I never found it degrading, I mean, they're consenting adults, safe words were stressed and encouraged. Any time Ana didn't use it was because she was an idiot, not because she was forced. The sex scenes were okay but did get a bit repetitive. The end ****ed me off and I try not to think about it. The unnecessary csection (pitocin so sounds like a typical American induced birth), epi then 'emergency' csection because it was taking too long. Eh. And then Christian saying she almost died, and next time it's an elective and she doesn't get a say...didn't work with his character at all I thought. Surely a control freak like him would be as informed as possible, and know that first time induction and VBAC carry around the same risks. But like I said, I ignore that part

I'd totally read more of the books as long as the story line was solid enough. I'd hope by two kids they have sorted their insecurities and little tiffs about stupid things out though.

Can we talk about the possible movie here? I'd HATE Kirsten Stewart to be Ana! And some dummy buff guy for Christian. He needs intelligence in his face, in his eyes.

I'm surprised I ended up liking it the way I did. The writing was so, so bad. I've written smoother fan fiction. But the characters are what got me, even annoying Ana lol!
    Totally agree!

3rd book was my fav, but the end completely annoyed me. The birth just angered me, and the whole skipping ahead thing a couple of years really bugged me. And when she was listing off the people who were going to Ted's bday party, she completely missed her mum? Why was she forgotten? Lol.
    And I totally got suckered in to the whole Jack Hyde twist, omg it made me shake like a leaf

The sex scenes were pretty tame I thought, most of it was like reading about people just "making love".

I'm not sure if I would read a 4th book. If its a follow on from the 3rd & from Ana's perspective again I definitely would. Otherwise I dont think so, I get "attached" to the character whose perspective I am reading from so would find it weird from even say Christians POV.

And if Kristen Stewart plays Ana I will refuse to see it lol. Just no. no no no no no!

But yeah I loved the books, it was awfully written but the general storyline, Christians background & the characters sucked me right in. Except the 1st book really until the very end. Until Ana told him to get lost I hated them both. Christian made me want to punch him, Ana made me want to punch her for not having any balls to tell him to rack off! Hahaha

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

I am still annoyed at the ending and am undecided about the movie.
    I mean really if it's going to be made for the mainstream viewing it's NOT going to have all the sex scenes and i think will possibly miss some of the vital moments - come on Christian really only opens up to her when they are intimate OR she's about to die or leave him
    Personally though i think Kirsten Stewart wont have the look i assume for Ana, i mean i thin k she's attractive but from the book i'm thinking it needs to be someone with an amazing natural beauty (think Megan Gale) that everyone just falls in love with, who's a litle niave as to what she really has to offer.. IYKWIM.

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

Maybe she doesn't know what she has to offer because she simply doesn't have much to offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so forgive spelling mistakes

Mar 2007

Surprisingly, I really liked them! When I started reading the first one I did not like it at all. And after I read the contract I was grossed out and thinking WTF am I reading this for and didn't think I'd continue. The only reason I kept reading was because I wanted to find out what was up with this guy and with the ending of the first book I just could not stop then! I think what bothered me was the way Christian treated her at the start when they had no relationship. He just wanted some sort of sex slave and she wasn't allowed to have opinions on anything or make her own decisions or look at him. That really ****ed me off, LOL. And then when he hit her and everything, uck, I was just thinking it was a totally horrible book. I didn't like reading the BDSM stuff at all in the first book. But then when they had a relationship and he obviously loved her and they still went in to the red room etc I didn't mind reading it. I think just because it was in the context of a loving relationship then, iykwim, and I could understand it. So I had a total turn around and couldn't put them down. I think I read them in 4 or 5 days. Now I'm in love with Christian Grey, LOL. I would definitely read another book and I think it would be interesting from Christian's perspective, like the last chapter.

Nov 2008
    in the ning nang nong

At the moment, it's making me want to stab myself in the eye. It's Just. Such. Bad. Writing.

I have to not be holding a writing implement, because I want to amend things.

But people keep saying that it improves, so I will persist ... for a while ...

Oct 2009
    Bonbeach, Melbourne

The actual writing remains woeful PN, so don't get your hopes up I did enjoy the story line in a fluffy kind of way though

Jul 2008
    Balnarring, Vic

Don't bother, pn! Life's too short for bad writing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk so forgive spelling mistakes

I think Elizabeth helping Jack was pretty predictable. When they said that Jack was behind bars but someone was helping him, straight away I thought of Elizabeth. Didn't see Linc posting bail coming though lol.

I also didn't like how the end jumped. I had to read it a couple of times when she was talking about Blip 2 to get that she was actually referring to a 2nd child. I also wanted to know why Taylor's daughter was there. Is she now living with them?? I also wanted to know what happened with Ethan and Mia. I don't recall reading anything about them at the end of the book.

Feb 2008
    Near the Snowies!

I just finished the last one.. Didn't like the ending much and I too found it confusing jumping all over the place from the past to the future. As I understand it, Taylor married Mrs Jones, and his daughter might only live there part time? Would have been nice to have made that a bit clearer.
    I didn't like all the add on bits after the epilogue either. But geez Christian sure was an angry (for want of a better term
    I can't write here!) man!

I know the writing isn't all that great, but I did enjoy it, and as stupid and annoying as some of the characters were at times I did get attached to them and didnt want it to end! My second book was the favourite I think, got through it much faster than the other two.

Apr 2008

Basically exactly what Heaven said was how I felt!

I absolutely loved the second and third book.
    I thought the end was good and loved the epilogue!

When Christian and Ana first discussed the re-modelling of the house, Christian said he would like to build a section for Taylor and Mrs Jones, then perhaps he would bring his daughter over to stay when he had her. I got the jumping around part but then I have read a lot of Jodi Picoult books that do a similar thing with jumping around and then the re-tell from a different characters point of view. The author also did it at the beginning of Book 3 with the honeymoon then flashing back to the wedding.

I loved the Jack story line and thought it was so clever of Ana to get teh bank tellers phone. I didnt see that happening until I read it. I thought she left a note with the bank teller for Christian just in case she didnt make it! See, I would be hopeless in a situation like that and probably get myself killed.

I just loved how in love they were. I loved the ups and downs of the relationships and how Ana would go out of her way to make Christian angry to get a reaction and stamp her position in the relationship.

I read them in 4 days and can see what all the fuss about it is!

Feb 2008
    Near the Snowies!

Actually, just thinking about it, I wish it had stopped before the epilogue, then there could have been a fourth book dealing with the end of the pregnancy, the birth and their relationship dynamics after the baby was born, and then weaved in moving house, Kate's pregnancy/baby and what happened to Mia and Ethan. I mean, the first book was basically Ana just umming and ahhing over whether she should pursue a relationship with him or not, then everything else was crammed into the second and third books, really they hadn't even known each other for long at all before they got married!
    I loved how in love they were with each other, without over the top lovey-dovey type stuff.

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Well I've just posted my big issues in the other thread but in this one I'm going to say I seriously CANNOT believe that she would let him go anywhere NEAR her preggy belly with a flogger.

Did anyone else find that a bit ridiculous????

Add Little Chicken on Facebook

Mar 2010
    Melbourne

Well I've just posted my big issues in the other thread but in this one I'm going to say I seriously CANNOT believe that she would let him go anywhere NEAR her preggy belly with a flogger.

Did anyone else find that a bit ridiculous????
    Absolutely

Add Jakabella on Facebook

Nov 2007
    in Love!

He didn't flog her with it- he trailed it over her belly.

Mar 2007

No that actually didn't bother me OP. Not really for me lol but it didn't say he hit her with it.

The other hitting bits bothered me. And I really did not like when he said something about wanting to beat the **** out of her. Seriously, wtf??

May 2008
    Melbourne, Vic

Yeah maybe he only trailed it over her belly but still. Anyway!

Heaven - yes, that really concerned me. Have you seen my other post??