Thread: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 21st JULY!!!

Default Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - 21st JULY!!!

It’s the last call for J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter saga
    The Washington Post
    Published Saturday, February 10, 2007

On July 21, the wait will be over. “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” will come out, and, assuming you can actually get your hands on one, there will never be another new Harry Potter book for your children to eagerly anticipate. Libraries and bookstores will decorate as if for Christmas. Cultural critics will bemoan that children can’t be persuaded to read anything else.
    In fact, J.K. Rowling’s amazing ability to get young people to read is valuable in itself, as her American publisher’s name, Scholastic, would imply. While there may be more abstract educational value in other tomes, there’s a great deal to be said for inspiring the sort of page-turning passion that makes kids want to rip through a novel in a day and be hungry for more. Will it move them to a similar passion for Willa Cather or Vikram Seth as they get older? Who can say? Maybe today’s Potter addicts someday will even read a newspaper.

Whatever the future of the printed page, the era of the Harry Potter Media Event is almost over. It’s been a remarkable decade since “Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone” (“Sorcerer’s Stone” in the States) changed life as we knew it in 1997. An unemployed single mother wrote books that made her almost as rich as Oprah and almost as beloved as the Beatles. Parents who used to have to bribe their children into reading suddenly found them attacking 300-, then 400-, 700- and 800-page books like ice cream in July. Not a few parents found themselves impatiently waiting for their turns. That’s a rather impressive feat, even for a wizard.

I'm so excited
    and I just can't hide it....

I almost pre-ordered it online tonight but then it occured to me that if I pre-order a copy from the store I can pick it up in the morning instead of having to wait for a courier.

I can't wait!

Last time I went to Dymocks on the morning of the release, and there was next to no-one in the queue at the counter, but the pre-order queue was out the door!

*TamaraP* Guest

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Yay!!
    Going to pre-order my book tomorrow!

Hmm, Liebling will be just over 4m old (or maybe 3m old, you never know with the rate things are going!), so I am wondering if getting it delivered is the best option. Then again, I will be up early that morning so can just go to the shops and pick it up (or DH can), a lot cheaper and easier.

I agree with Rachael, I always buy mine the morning of release and there are thousands of them; the pre-order queues are huge and the delivery wait of up to two days is so annoying... or at least, my great-uncle was annoyed he had to wait two days when everyone else had read the last book but him!

I've been on mugglenet and I found this

The Times Online and The Observer have both released new interviews with the Harry Potter actor.

Of particular interest to book fans, the latter website provides an interesting experience Dan had with Jo during one of her OOTP set visits:
    "Jo came down to the set at one point and I said, "Oh hello, why are you here today?" And she said, "Oh I just needed a break from the book - Dumbledore's giving me a lot of trouble." And I said, "But isn't he dead?" And she said, "Well, yeah, but it's more complex ..." I was like, [briskly] "OK, I'm not gonna ask anything else!""
    sounds intriuging....

I went and picked up a pre-ordered copy last time. I went after Yasin's swimming lesson so it was almost midday and there was no que.

Blob is getting babysat by her grandma for that day... and im going to be another mad women waiting for the book store to open and rush in just to buy it! Wannaa read it before anyone else tells me what happens ... then i'm gonna have to start from number 1 again... Can't believe its the ending

Very much looking forward to this, and actually, I'm happy that it will be ending. I think seven books is plenty and the storyline of Harry vs Voldemort has gone on long enough

I've NEVER pre-ordered a copy. In fact, I get mine from Big W the morning they're released and I think they're actually slightly cheaper than at Dymocks and Big W.

I'll have to arrange for DH to babysit for me that day so I can read uninterrupted all day

*TamaraP* Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dachlostar View Post
    I've been on mugglenet and I found this

sounds intriuging....

I went and picked up a pre-ordered copy last time. I went after Yasin's swimming lesson so it was almost midday and there was no que.

I never thought Dumbledore was dead!!! Yippee!!

Yeh, we don't really get que's over here. I think though in England it would be different. Its so hyped up over there and also in America.

I pre ordered the last book and when i went to pick it up the after noon it came out there was still heaps left and no que. I'll be pre-ordering it this time too. I've started reading the first book again so when it comes out i'll be up to date with it all again.