Thread: My Sister's Keeper - Book Club Review, Nov '05

Default My Sister's Keeper - Book Club Review, Nov '05

This month the Platinum Book Club is reviewing My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

In My Sister's Keeper, Anna Fitzgerald was conceived and born so that she could provide genetically compatible body fluids and parts for her older sister, Kate, who suffers from leukemia. When Kate is 16 and Anna is 13, Kate needs a kidney transplant and Anna balks at giving up one of hers. She hires a lawyer to petition for medical emancipation from her parents, so that she alone can make decisions about her body. It's a decision that threatens to tear the family apart, from her mother who gave up a law practice to be a stay-at-home mom, an older brother who feels left out, and her father who wavers between choosing sides. Jodi Picoult's novel examines the inner workings of a family struggling to find love, and life, within all their relationships.

My Sister's Keeper has received strong reviews with the San Jose Mercury News saying, "My Sister's Keeper is a terrific book, right down to the final surprise."
    How The Members Rated It - score out of 5

Astrolady - 4
    Tigergirl1980
    Nellbe - 4
    Iris -
    *Shannon* -
    Katanya -
    Megan -
    Sarah_H
    Mum5boyz
    Dee73
    Jillian -
    Ambah
    Christy -
    Sal -
    Mitch4now -
    Onelittleone -
    Fi -
    *Emma* - 4.5

If you wish to read the book, but are not a part of the Book Club please be warned that the following posts may contain spoilers for certain books.

Love

I give this book a 4

I thought it was a fantastic book and it did make me emotional at times when the mother first found out about Kate having leukima - what a thing to go through.

I was on the train reading the part about Anna dying and it made me cry - I definitely did not see that coming!

Makes me what to read more of her stuff now.

I would give it a 4 as well. When I was reading it I found it hard to put down, but once it was down it stayed down for days on end.

When I read in the other thread about Anna dying I picked it up and read to the end. I loved the final chapter by Kate as too.

Love