Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you reading?

Default What are you reading?

At the moment I'm reading The Firemans Mistress by Christie D!ckason. I just finished a Karin Slaughter one.

My fave authors are;

Michael Connelly
    Karin Slaughter
    Kathy Reichs
    Harlan Coben

They are all crime. I love George RR Martin (fantasy).

The best tear jerker I have EVER read was Suzannes Diary for Nicholas OMG If you havent read it, grab it. James Patterson wrote it and its great. I remember at the end my DH came home and I was on the lounge bawling my eyes out - actually sobbing, lol...

Let Me Hear Your Voice by Catherine Maurice is the best book on Autism I've read. I could never explain how I felt at Layla's diagnosis as well as this book did it for me. I felt every word she wrote and this book felt like coming home for me after a long time in the dark. By the way, her children are completely recovered from autism

RIght now Im reading 'The 7 habits of highly effective families' by Stephen R. Covey. Ive just finished 'You Own the Power' by Rosemary Althea which I loved. Nat ive read that book too and just loved it. Its always inspiring reading other peoples stories.

Jo

Jo, do you mean the Catherine Maurice one?

I've almost finished reading "Where's Peter" by Roger Maynard, all about the disappearance of Peter Falconio. Next book lined up is a book all about unsolved murders.

Nic

I'm reading The Explorers by Tim Flannery. He didn't write it so much as edit it. The book is a collection of writings by people who were explorers in Australia. I'm currently reading the account by a couple from the Tongan royal family who lived in Sydney for several years in the early 19th century.
    I'm finding the book really interesting. Its striking how much respect some of the Europeans had for Native Australian culture - we tend to think of them all as a bunch a rascist freaks but some of them were remarkably open minded. The other thing that really reminds me how much this country has been changed in the last 200 years is that it could take all day to travel 16 miles from Parramatta and by the end of the day they would be in unchartered territory.
    Also there used to be a cemetary at Town Hall. I wonder what they did with all the bodies and head stones when they rezoned it?
    I really enjoyed another book he wrote called The Future Eaters and this one is also really enjoyable although its very different.
    Last edited by Phteven; October 6th, 2006 at 08:34 PM. Reason: tonganese?? wtf was I thinking...

I am not reading anything at the moment. Lately I have been buying and reading heaps of autobiographies - they make up nearly half my book collection now.

My fave authors are;
    Margaret Attwood (The Handmaid's Tale and Alias Grace)
    Maeve Binchy
    Thomas Harris (Silence of the Lambs)
    Aldous Huxley (Brave new World)

I am a huge Meave Binchy fan too.......love all her books.....I consider them "comfort reading" LOL, and have read them all a few times........

I am an avid breastfeeding reader.......I always use that 30 mins peace to have a good read.....D ick Francis is getting a re-visit, and I have a Lesley Pearce waiting to get into, as well as a Jodi Picoult..........

I am a HUGE fan of Kathy Reichs (another crime writer). I am currently reading Cross Bones. I have to buy her books as soon as they come out. I can never put them down! Other than that - I am reading this wonderfully entertaining book called Leading and Managing in Nursing. I am so looking forward to the end of the year!

MG

LOL Lucy, I like to think of them as rainy day books, because they are just perfect for snuggling up with a blanket and a hot chocolate and reading all day.

MG, I have heard of Kathy Reichs, but not read any of her stuff, she does sound good fro the reviews I've read of her.

She's brilliant Sherie. Her heroine Tempe Brennan is funny, but not stupidly so. I really enjoy her books. She's like Patricia Cornwall, but better.

MG have you read any Karin Slaughter? She'a good too.

Lucy, did Maeve Binchy write Circle Of Friends?

Yep Nat, she did write Circle of Friends. I have to say I saw the movie first and then read the book - and I like them both, but for different reasons if that makes sense.

Have you read Suzannes Diary For Nicholas? If you can, get it. Its a good rainy day book, too.

Chloe, the bodies ( around 2000 of them) were removed to Rookwood, but they just have one 'communal' headstone. They discovered 4 convict graves at Town Hall in 1991.
    Last edited by hannanat; October 6th, 2006 at 08:00 PM.

I have 2 books DH gave me that I had wanted forever & a day... Sekala Niskala & I just never get time to read them... They are books that explain indepth all the various beliefs, cycles, ceremonies, prcatices etc, etc, etc of balinese life!!!

Other than that I only read BB!!!!

I haven't read that Nat, I will tell my friend about the Catherine Maurice one though, her little boy was diagnosed as autistic 12 months ago and she still struggles with it some days. I think this book would be perfect for her.

Sherie she will love it because it offers hope. Her daughter was diagnosed, they 'cured' her and then her son was diagnosed. She explains how and what they did. It was behaviour therapy and its very expensive here - around $40,000 / year. We had to sell our house in QLD and now we rent in Sydney. I now do my own program based on that same therapy because we've run out of money, and Layla has come along leaps and bounds so tell your friend there IS hope.

Sorry completely OT.

Lucy, did Maeve Binchy write Circle Of Friends
    Yep....other Maeve Binchy titles include The Glass Lake, The Copper Beach, Tara Road, Italian Class, Scarlet Feathers........

I just finished reading "Running With Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs, which is an autobiography about this kid whose mum essentially gave him away to his psychiatrist, and the psychiatrist is a complete loony tune. It's utterly enthralling in a horrifying kind of way ... some of the stuff he describes which went on in his life just makes your eyes bulge :eek:

I think they've made it into a movie.

Other than that, I'm about 9/10 of the way through the Dune trilogy, which is a sci-fi classic. Not bad, but not my usual kind of book. It's only because I spent nearly 2hrs a day on the train that I have persisted with it, I think.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast