Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your Book For 2007?

Default Your Book For 2007?

I'm in a few book groups where we read a book once a month & meet for coffee & discuss them - When I go back next week we have to say what our 'Book Of The Year' was.

Thought I'd ask here for curiosity - And to give me a few ideas for some new ones to read

It doesn't have to be a new book, just anything that you read throughout last year - Your favourite one! (Or two or more if you can't decide!!!)

I read stacks of good ones, but my fav I read was 'Shantaram' - a big one (almost 1000 pages), but just loved it!

Also read 'We Need To Talk About Kevin' which I also thought was great!

Can't wait to read everyone else's fav's for 2007!

Thirteen Moons by Charles Frasier was right up there (he wrote "Cold Mountain" too). Umm, read some really really good ones this year but seem to have lost it all to baby brain! LOL

I have two;

The Memory Keepers Daughter

and

My Sister's Keeper.

Loved both of them...

The Memory Keepers Daughter
    That was one of them!!! (How could I forget, I read it in hospital with a brand new baby...?)!

Quote Originally Posted by Marydean View Post
    That was one of them!!! (How could I forget, I read it in hospital with a brand new baby...?)!
    Oh My! How did you manage reading that with a new baby?!?! My DD was about 5 months when I read it and it reduced me to tears so many times!!! I was also in hospital when I was reading it and a social worker was visiting me and was just astounded I could read it with a baby!!! It was brilliant though!

I read both of them this year, too!

You guys did well reading that one with little ones!! (espec in hospital Marydean!!!)

Mmm, I enjoyed the Memory Keeper's Daughter but found it a bit depressing. My pick would be The Time Traveller's Wife. I really, really enjoyed that.

I read that one too!!!

Oh My! How did you manage reading that with a new baby?!?!
    I sort of wondered that at the time...of course I cried a lot throughout (new baby hormones) but really I was so deliriously happy it sort of insulated me.

my book for the year was definitely 'We Need toTalk About Kevin'. i read it when i was pg and i couldn't put it down

Chalalan Guest

The Time Traveller's Wife was so original. I liked that Henry was often not very likable and yet we still felt for him. The ending was great too, and I could just imagine that last scene and all those years.....very moving.

2007 was not a big book year for me, I read too much trash and not enough substance. Maybe 2008 will be better.

My book which I started in 2007 and finished today was "The road of lost innocence" by Somaly Mam.

This book made me cry quite a few times.

Nic

A Thousand Splendid Suns.
    Khaled Hosseini | Books

I read that one, too Dach!

Can't decide if I liked it or The Kite Runner better?!

I needed light reading last year as I had way too much going on (and way too much stress) to read much at all. My fave was Head over Heels by Jill Mansell.

Chalalan Guest

The Kite Runner was a glorious book. That book did so much to help my understanding of Islam and the conflicts between the different sects, the Taliban and how Afghanistan was like and could be like again - peaceful. It was a lovely story of friendship, betrayal, redemption and faith.

Wonder what the movie is going to be like?

I'd be interested to see about the movie - I'm such a sceptic, they never live up to the books!

The only movie that I enjoyed after reading the book was Stephen King's 'The Green Mile' - but even that left so much out!

I will definately go and see the movie though - it has a few Golden Globe nominations & Oscar rumours so you never know!

Oh Nic, I just bought that book and am dying to read it, so glad to hear someone else loved it.

My Fav is The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.
    A light read but so essentially about the community of women and the nature of support and acceptance. A really nice read and it inspired me to learn to knit which has become a little hobby by now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast