Thread: Additives to avoid while pg, bfng and 4 the kids

Fire Fly Guest

Thumbs up Additives to avoid while pg, bfng and 4 the kids

Additives not recommended for children, pregnant and breastfeeding women.

100 102 104 110 120 122 123 124 127 129 131 132 133 142 151 153 155 160b 162
    211 216 220 221 222 223 224 225 228 249 250 251 252 280 281 282 283 290 296
    310 311 312 319 320 321 349 355
    405 407 407a 420 421 431 432 433 435 436 466
    508 514 553 554 555 556
    620 621 622 623 624 625 627 631 635 641
    914 943a 943b 944 950 951 952 954 955 956 957 966 967
    1201 1520 1521

I know this list is a bit daunting but you will find that the 2... numbers are more commenly used in foods so maybe start with those.

For more info just go to additivealert website. I have the book and its my bible.

Last edited by Trillian; September 29th, 2006 at 11:57 AM.

Also the low 100,s 102 etc are in LOTS of kids foods as they are colours. For example 102 is in nearly every margarine, yellow lolly etc that you can find.

These are poisons that we're putting in our childrens bodies.

Thanks heaps, I was wondering about this. Will print it out and check our labels, although Amy hardly gets processed foods.

Fire Fly Guest

Its not just processed foods unfortunatley. Its margerines, cheese, yogurts, sandwich meats, sandwich spreads, icecream, lollies, chocolates, sauces, gravy mixes, the list goes on.
    I dont understand how these people that ok the chemicals to go in can sleep soundly at night. And its all for makeing something look better or last longer or tast better. Why cant we go back to ale naturale and benefit from the tast of nature. Its a pain in the butt to go shopping and always checking labels. Ive learnt to not read the front of the pack either, when its claims no preservative, added colours blah blah blah. Because there usually the worst. They have added msg or just call a chemical something snazzy so the consumer thinks oh yeah this looks ok. Makes me mad

OK Fruit loops have colours 100, 110, 129 AND 133 - so these are going in the bin right now. Luckily I only buy them occasionally. But after this last box, I have been put off the kids having them anyway, because their poo changes colour to this hideous green - this can't be a good thing.

Oddly though, Coco Pops don't have any additives at all - so while they are not brilliant, they are still better than Fruit Loops

Yes Sherie, I think its much better to have somthing with only a little nutritional value than something that's actively harming you. Its disgusting that these companies know what these additives do and still use them in our products, particularly those aimed at children.

A lot of people assume that a little bit cant hurt, and for adults that may be the case ( but I'm not taking any chances, lol), but kids bodies are different. Their nervous is developing and can't repair structural damage. Also in realtion to their body weight, they eat more food than adults. Kids metabolic pathways are not fully matured to deal with additives and chemicals.

Fire Fly Guest

What is alarming is the increase in brain cancer in kids, its this very reason i no longer give my kids or the family for that matter additives.

For instance, Beef Frankfurters. Most kids are given these for dinner or at parties. My book states; Children eating up to about a dozen each month are at an approximately four-fold increased risk of brain cancer and seven-fold increased of leukaemia. (this is due to the formation of a nitrosamine carcinogen, by the interaction of nitrate and natural amines in meat). If thats not enough to scare the pants of you then nothing will change the way you think.

Good thing we don't go to a lot of parties or eat that many hot dogs anyway.

Fire Fly Guest

Thats the sad thing hey as you can have a kids party without the baddies in the food and the kids are so much more sane. There not hypa at the end of it so you dont have these little people spaced out on chemicals. Its unfortunate that these kids are roused on as its not there fault. They cant help it unfortunately, there little bodies are screaming in protest and they have no way of controlling it. Sad, but true.

While i totally agree that it is a problem in some children, on the flip side though, I have been to a few parties where there has been nothing but healthy food served (and this is a rare occurance let me tell you) and the kids still do get hyped up from excitement, so it would be hard to tell just how much of their hyperactivity is related to the food they have eaten, or just becuase it is a party IYKWIM?

It would be interesting to have a group of kids and have one party with the usual stuff and then another party with only healthy and see what the difference is.

Has anyone seen that guy that had a cheeseburger from 9 years ago and left it in his garage and pulls it out every year to check on it and its still the same? Thats foul, lol. Not even the bread has gone mouldy. I wish I looked into all this stuff earlier.

I have the same book as Firefly called "Additive Alert". I have only had it for a week and now every lable I pick up I'm scanning madly. It really is scary when you start to realise the crap we are putting into our bodies and worse still our children's. We really should stand up for ourselves and our kids and demand more protection from those that supply our food. If you haven't looked into this - start - you will be amazed, infuriated and then on a mission.

I don't know what E number aspartame (nutrasweet/equal) has, but for me its one that our whole family avoids. products that contain it will have a warning and say 'contains phenylanaline'